PDA

View Full Version : Going to Montreal in August, need shopping/restaurant tips

kozachka
07-15-2007, 06:17 AM
I am so excited, I am going for training in Montreal the first week of August. Would love to hear any local tips as to where to go out for dinner (company is paying ;) ), what to see and where to shop for clothing for both myself and DS. I am thinking of staying an extra day or two to explore the area.

bubbaray
07-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Old Montreal has amazing restaurants, expensive so good if the company is paying! There is another area (can't remember the street name -- baby brain!) where you bring your own wine. I'd probably skip that on a business trip, who has time to go wine shopping too, KWIM?

Mtl is know for shoe shopping. You can't throw a stick in downtown Mtl (at least when I lived there) without hitting a shoe store.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

kozachka
07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Thank you for taking time to respond, Melissa. I've got some (hopefully) good suggestions as far as dining is concerned from Frommers but could use more help with shopping. Good to know there are tons of options as far as shoe shopping is concerned, I need new boots for the upcoming winter.

And since I am cheap, oops, frugal, can anybody clue me in as to what would be Canadian equavalent of TJ Maxx or Marhalls? Can't beat their prices for quality finds.

ETA: We'd be staying at Intercontinental Hotel I believe.

EllasMum
07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
I think the Canadian equivalent of TJ Maxx would probably be Winners - in fact they may even be owned by the same chain. I saw a commercial for TJ Maxx and thought it was a Winners ad - same jingle and everything. Not sure about Marshalls, but I would try either Zellers or Wal-mart. I'm not completely sure that any of these places will actually be in Montreal - there are some pretty strict language laws there and some companies shy away from doing business there.

Enjoy your trip!

kozachka
07-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Thank you for the shopping tips, EllasMom. I just checked and Winners has few locations in the city, yeah :). Not particularly interested in Wal-mart, I am looking for branded, quality stuff that's sold at a deep discount so it's not quite it. Will keep Zellers in mind.

bubbaray
07-17-2007, 02:52 PM
If you don't want to do Walmart, I'd skip Zellers, personally. Its not really like Marshalls. Its like a cheaper, less organized Walmart.

There really isn't a Cdn equivalent to Marshalls. You won't find deep discounts in Canada, I'm afraid. Really, things are VERY expensive here.

Winners is the Cdn "equivalent" to TJ Maxx, but again, its not really the same -- things are pricey, often out of season/style, and frankly, not the same at all as TJ Maxx.

Mtl has outstanding shopping, but not really discount, KWIM? Most people who want discount shopping go to the US!! :)

Melissa

kozachka
07-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Too bad :( but thanks for the warning, I'd skip Zellers than. Oh well, guess I'd have to open up my purse strings ;). Any good shop (even if expensive) stores I should check out while in Montreal. I won't have that much time so it would be great to gain some local prospective beforehand.

gigoteuse
07-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi!
I'm from Quebec City so I'm not as familiar with Montreal, but here is was I can think of.

For food, look for Table d'hote, most restaurant should have it. It is the same idea as menu a prix fixe where you get appetizer/soup, main course, dessert and coffee at a better price than selecting a la carte. And, sorry if you know French, but if not entree in French means appetizer, it took me a while to get use to it.

For shopping, go on Sainte-Catherine street, you'll get stores after stores and there is also a few malls that are linked underground (as well as linked to the subway). I haven't been in a while and besides it was before my daughter so I don't know what they have for kids. For you, there is a store that I really like (also part of the mall/subway/train station network), it is called Simons. They have clothing for women (two sections, one for youth, really trendy and one more quality and a bit more classic), they also have a men's section. The prices vary a lot depending on what you like, but I have to say to be careful with their super cheap stuff, my sister and I have been burned a few times and have had to call some of our sweaters "single use sweaters". The rest of their stuff is good.
The Bay might an other place to try, it is better than Sears, maybe like Macy's. The selection varies from store to store and I would think that the downtown store would be the place to have nice stuff and there is always one sale or an other on the weekend.

As for sales, I don't know if you'll find much, we don't have sales after sales all the time like I have seen in the US. But, it might close enough to the beginning of the school year for back to school sales.

As far as Winners, you might find good deals there but it migth be out of the way. All the stores that I know of, except for one in Toronto, are located in malls out of the regulars malls. Check with the hotel staff to see how long it will take you to get there.

One other thing about shopping is that as far I know, the shopping malls aren't open every night. The big nights are Thursday and Friday, until 9 PM, otherwise the stores are open until 5PM (including weekends). There might be stores open in the touristic area, check with your hotel.

Lastly, the Canadian dollar has been doing very well lately so I'm not sure that you'll find that it is cheaper but at least you should find something that is different than what you find where you shop.

Have fun shopping!

torontomom
07-18-2007, 01:11 PM
deleted...

bubbaray
07-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Great suggestions.

Roots is quitessential Canadian casual/athletic wear. Last well. Nice leather goods, comparable to Coach.

MEC is basically REI to the north, but MUCH cheaper. Their house brand stuff is EXCELLENT quality. Better quality than anything I've found in the US. Great kids stuff. Nothing fancy/trendy, but really good quality. Great packs, casual bags. Sleeping bags, packs for kids are great there. Great winter hats and polar fleece.

Another Canadian kids line is Please Mum http://www.pleasemum.com/. Great stuff. Washes well, lasts well, better made than Gymbo or Hanna. Their website sucks, much better selection in stores. Not sure if they have stores in Mtl, though.

Lululemon http://www.lululemon.com/ is also a Canadian-based yoga wear company. Lululemon is VERY trendy. Their stuff fits small, BTW. I personally prefer Lotuswear http://www.lotusyogawear.com/, but they don't have a store in Mtl.

You'll probably have no trouble finding Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Gymboree, on Ste Catherine's in downtown Mtl. I would assume they are all there. However, if you are used to US prices, you will be in for sticker shock.

If you want to do high-end stuff, hit Holt Renfrew in Mtl. Kinda like Neiman Marcus, in a parka.

HTH
Melissa

kozachka
08-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks to everybody who took time to post their ideas. I am leaving in a few hours and have printed this post out. I feel prepared to explore the city with your help, ladies.