PDA

View Full Version : how to calculate shipping?

miki
08-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I did a search and read a summary from a retailer's website about shipping and am just more confused. I'm in the US and my cousin is in Vancouver. She's got a new little girl and I want to send her a bunch of my DD's outgrown clothes. I'm not sure how to figure out what to expect in shipping fees, broker fees, custom fees, etc. since I'm sending used clothes as a gift. If it's going to end up being super expensive, I have the option of sending the clothes to her sister or parents in the US who can bring them to her when they visit at the end of the summer. Any advice? TIA

bubbaray
08-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Do whatever it takes to NOT use a courier service -- they charge brokerage fees ($50+) on top of the taxes & duties and shipping fees.

I would actually send them to your relatives in the US and have her bring them home with her. Cheaper shipping within the US, no customs/duties/brokerage issues as they are "used" and she likely won't even have to declare them.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

hipmaman
08-12-2007, 03:46 PM
If the outgrown clothes are a lot, I would send them to her family in the US and they can bring them up when they visit her. I routinely send clothes this way to my nephew in Vancouver every 3-4 months. Mind you I live in Canada too, but shipping cost just as much if not more than US to Canada. I use Greyhound shipping to ship big boxes of outgrown clothes or send them with my parents when they go out to visit my nephew.

Yeah, as mentioned, do avoid couriers like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. because of the hefty brokerage fee.