PDA

View Full Version : Infant cold med recall -- what are your thoughts?

bubbaray
10-11-2007, 10:39 PM
OK, so I was interested to read the thread in the Lounge about this. It hadn't dawned on me to be mad about the recall. It jibes with what my dr told me (no cold meds for children under 2 without dr's direction).

The media here in Vancouver is saying that this is just the start, they are thinking of banning the sale of all cold meds for children under 6 in Canada.

I wonder if they will just make the drugs Rxs or what???

What do you think???

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Piglet
10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
It doesn't make sense to me either. It is based on people not following the dosages and using the wrong meds for the job. Why don't they ban adult cold meds too then - these very same adults are the ones administering the kids meds incorrectly, so why trust them with their own meds? I think what they can do is make them over-the-counter, but kept behind the counter, if that makes sense. They do that in the US for adult cold meds that can be used to make crystal meth (I think that is the drug I am thinking of... not such an expert, LOL).

chinook
10-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh man I wish I'd heard about this BEFORE the meds were pulled. Frankly, Dimetapp is the only thing that gets my kids any rest at night when they have a bad cold.

To me this is an example of them "dumbing down". I mean really, as the PP said, ANY med can be misused if you don't follow dosing directions.

What gets me is in the meantime 90% of carseats are installed incorrectly but does the gov't care about that? Is there anywhere I can take my seats to be inspected? Nooooooooo.

Piglet
10-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Sing it Sista! I totally feel your pain on the carseat front!