PDA

View Full Version : TARGET has a new, terrible return policy - don't register there!

windyscat
11-09-2001, 07:58 PM
As of 11/1/01, Target no longer exchanges or takes back any merchandise without a receipt. If you recieve a gift from someone, and they don't give you a gift receipt, don't bother to try to take it back to Target - EVEN IF IT'S ON YOUR REGISTERY! So if you get doubles of something, you are out of luck. If the product is defective, you are out of luck.

Likewise, if you're giving a gift from Target, make sure you include the gift receipt.

I just had my baby shower and received some gifts from Target, which I wanted to return. NO SUCH LUCK. Couldn't even exchange them for the next size or anything.

Hopefully, if enough people complain or quit shopping there, they we return to a more customer friendly policy.

walda
11-11-2001, 03:36 PM
Check out http://www.target-sucks.com for similar nightmares!

tibren1010
11-29-2001, 04:24 PM
Amen to that! Target changed their return policy AFTER I had registered there to take effect BEFORE my baby showers! Fortunately, the only duplicate items I received from Target were off-registry items that I had already purchased myself, so I just returned them on my own receipt. The only complaint I have about that was that they gave me cash back when I would have preferred a store credit (who uses cash anymore?).

I recently participated in a Target survey and let them know how I felt about their return policy - I have received no feedback from Target so far.

Also, Target.com was a source of nursery decorations and registry maintenance for me, but the darn site never worked properly! I either couldn't get at my registry, couldn't edit it online or couldn't check the status of an order. When I sent them an email about these problems, they didn't respond (or haven't so far).

Please, Baby Bargains Book people, put this issue PROMINENTLY on your website and in your next edition!

HOBSON725
11-29-2001, 05:53 PM
I must be the only one with good Target luck. I rec'd several "doubles" as gifts that were on my Target registry. I didn't have a reciept for ANY of the items. I took all the items to Target and was told to make a printout of my registry. So, I did. They gladly returned all the items(granted I didn't open any packages, etc) and gave me store credit. I was told that I could do this since those items were on my registry and the total didn't exceed $75.00. They were very polite about the whole thing. Maybe it's just this Target here in town but I hope others have the same experience.

maura
01-20-2002, 09:37 PM
AMEN!! We finally got a

riostoker
01-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Well... once your total exceeds 75$, you may run into the same problems as the rest of us. When I did a few returns without a receipt (when I was allowed), they always took my identification info from my drivers' licence, so they would know how much you returned without receipts.

Luckily, I was able to do almost all my baby item returns before the policy went into effect since my baby was born in September, but I did encounter the "no returns without receipt" policy after 11/1.

It really is a HUGE mistake for a store that has a baby and bridal registry to not allow returns.

wimbini
02-04-2002, 03:16 PM
After several major hassles with Target, I decided to cancel my registry entirely... but I couldn't do it at the store because I didn't have my original registry papers with me (don't I carry those with me everywhere!?)... instead, I had to call an 800 number. After a long wait on hold, I gave up, disgusted, and my registry is still alive.

Go for Babies R Us, they have great registry service.

suzska
02-07-2002, 01:14 AM
I just wanted to say that the last few times I've gone to Target they've given me gift receipts without my even asking. And I was only buying clothes for my son, so it didn't really matter. I wonder if they're getting negative feedback about their return policy and just have the cashiers give out gift receipts now?

FWIW, I plan to keep shopping at Target. I like their infant/toddler clothes, and love them when they're on sale! Today I got jeans and pants for my son (in bigger sizes) for $5.50 each! Hanes Sweatpants on clearance for $2.70 each! And a reversable, Pittsburgh Steelers snowsuit for next year--on sale for 50% off at $14.90! They also had Diaper Genie refills for $4.49, which is a good price around here.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

suzska
03-19-2002, 12:43 AM
I just wanted to say that one of the last times I was at Target they gave me a slip to fill out an online survey. At the end of the survey you were allowed to add your comments/suggestions for how they could serve the customer better. So on behalf of everyone here that's complained about their return policy, I told them about it, and how people were no longer shopping/registering at Target because of the policy change. Felt like I at least put in my $.02 worth. ;-)

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

charigot
05-20-2002, 12:03 PM
"The only complaint I have about that was that they gave me cash back when I would have preferred a store credit (who uses cash anymore?)."

Wah? I can't understand wanting a store credit over cash. This is the problem with Burlington Coat Factory--they give you store credit only so if you don't want to buy anything else there, you're screwed. Cash is the only way to go! It has a lot more freedom, obviously.

LailaCa
06-10-2002, 11:36 PM
I experienced this today in my area as well. I had a package of Gerber onesies with no receipt...package never opened and in perfect condition. Target would not take back or even trade for a larger size. I was shocked. Every other store I have ever been to takes returns so long as the item is in perfect condition, not used, and the store carries it. (Macys, Nordstrom, even BRU)! I am disgusted with Target and if we had another store in our country town I would shop there. Once I deliver I will ONLY shop at WalMart which is where I shopped before I married. I will boycott Target. All my friends and acquaintances are being informed of this as well.

August Mom
07-19-2002, 10:57 PM
I recently received a bouncer from Target that I wished to return. Unfortunately, I did not have a gift receipt. When I attempted to return the bouncer, I was told that the only thing that can be done without a receipt is an "even exchange." According to the customer service representative, that means that if you are returning 1 item, you can exchange it for 1 item of the same or greater value (of course you pay the difference) from the same department in the store.

There appears to be a flaw in this system, however. When completing my "even exchange" for an item I really didn't want, I was given a gift receipt. I later returned the item with the gift receipt and received a merchandise credit, which was all I wanted in the first place.

My situation eventually worked out, but it was a hassle.

Melanie
07-20-2002, 07:06 PM
I totally understand why they changed. They used to take back anything & everything 'no questions asked,' even things they did not sell. I know of some tacky people who would take back stuff to them knowing it never came from there.

Sad that it's ruined for those of us who "follow the rules." Too bad they could not find a happy medium.

Mommy to Jonah

klfrazier
08-24-2002, 10:44 PM
I really sympathize with everyone who's had trouble with Target's return policy. We did not even consider it for our baby registry because of the trouble we'd had with our wedding registry - before the change of policy. Not only had the system failed to mark many purchases, but returns were horrible. We vowed never again, and are going with Babies R US, which has a much better reputation among our friends.

starrynight
09-04-2002, 02:13 PM
K-mart started doing this same thing earlier this year, no exceptions, no exchanges and no store credits. Receipts only for the same method you paid and I don't think they give gift receipts(I don't know because I only shop there if walmart doesn't have what I need-which is rare.) Note they started going under-maybe enought ppl didn't like their policy.

hellollama
09-10-2002, 11:40 AM
K-Mart's bankruptcy problems have nothing to do with this return policy. They have had extremely bad management for years. K-Mart's woes have been all over the news for years K-Mart simply doesn't have any money. No doubt that is behind the return policy change. Target can't make that claim. They are doing just fine right now.

MJSSPS
09-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Same thing here. Wouldn't consider it because of problems with wedding registry BEFORE change in policy. Though I still like shopping there.

mykoleary
10-22-2002, 04:59 PM
Same here...

We've been able to return products without receipts to Target before (Seattle, WA area.) They DID require a same visit exchange to a product in the same department, but there are so many baby items, that this wasn't an issue.