PDA

View Full Version : Stores that don't have infant shopping carts

acadiaphile
02-03-2002, 08:13 PM
I just got the Britax RA for my increasingly hefty 5.5 mo. old dd and thought things were just dandy traveling with her--until I tried to go shopping and couldn't figure out where to put her. We went to Costco and I was dismayed to find that none of the store's shopping carts accommodated infants. I'd noticed that my local supermarkets, BJ's Wholesale Club, Trader Joe's, and others have shopping carts that have built-in infant seats. Costco (at least the one near my home) has no such carts. I spoke with the store manager to ask about this and he said, "Yeah, you're the 3rd person who's brought this up." I asked whether he'd do anything. He said "Most customers bring their own seats." I explained those were likely infant car seats, but for larger infants those car seats don't work. He asked why I couldn't just put her in the child's seat. I explained she couldn't sit up.

Long story short: I will likely cancel my Costco membership after 10 yrs. of being a customer because I have no place to put my daughter now when I shop.

How's that for a rant?

TaraNY
02-03-2002, 09:15 PM
DS outgrew his infant carrier very early...he's been out of it for over 3 weeks now and he's just shy of 4 months old now.

When I go shopping, I put him in my Baby Bjorn carrier...easy. In fact, I just did this at the local Sam's Club yesterday, and to be honest, I have no idea if they had carts with seats. I have an aversion to those seats on carts anyway...germ city!

savvymomtobe
02-03-2002, 10:48 PM
The American Academy of Pediatrics warns never to put children of any age in shopping carts, including carts with built-in infant seats. Putting a child in a cart (whether using an infant car seat/carrier, a built-in seat, or otherwise) raises the carts center of gravity thus increasing the risk of a cart tip-over. Thousands of children are injured, every year, as a result of shopping cart mishaps. The pediatricians say to use a stroller, backpack, or frontpack. Get the full story at the AAP Web site.
http://www.aap.org/family/famshop.htm

nywifey
02-13-2002, 07:36 PM
I agree, those infant seats attached to the carts are Yucky! I'd do the front carrier too and then purchase a shopping cart seat for when she could sit up on her own. I know the one by Nojo is cumbersome, but I like that it covers the bar on the seat since babies like to put their mouths on everything.