PDA

View Full Version : Babies R Us - check the boxes!

GreenIZ1971
02-14-2002, 12:56 AM
Last weekend we went to BRU with a long list of carefully researched baby stuff - if they had it, and the price was right, we were buying!

Well, one of the products was a Graco Snugride LX - 2002 model. When we grabbed the box we compared it to the others (did it look opened?). It looked just like the others...

Got it home, and the chest clip is missing, and someone attached the canopy incorrectly (yes, we could adjust it but just convinces me something might have happened to the seat).

Anyway, be VERY careful picking up those boxes at a mass retailer like BRU. ALL of the boxes were sealed with tape on one end, so I am assuming ALL of the boxes had been opened, and ALL had the potential to be missing parts, etc.

From now on I'll be opening the boxes BEFORE I leave the parking lot, if there's any doubt....

mommymaria
02-14-2002, 10:57 AM
I am not sure if this is true at all BRU stores, but the staff at ours is very accomodating and will assist in opening the box and checking the product right there in the store. They have even re-packed and taped the box for me.

Give it a try.

LailaCa
06-10-2002, 11:45 PM
I wish that were true at the store in San Jose, CA. The staff is always congregated at the customer service island where one walks in the door. There they are invariably laughing and "fooling around". One would think that this implies that they are young people; however, this is not the case. They are both sexes of varying ages. When you politely ask for assistance they take their sweet time then act as if they are doing you a huge favor. My dh bought our travel system ( he wanted it...not me!) there, and they kept insisting all parts were present. When we asked if they were sure they just brushed us off. Luckily for me he can be persistent and then they happened to notice a couple parts were missing. They were not apologetic at all, and instead kept on with there little jokes amongst themselves...while we waited on the side. This is not the first time we have received poor to no customer service at the San Jose BRU!

egoldber
06-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Your're not the only one to have bad service at that store. The San Jose BRU is TERRIBLE. We used to live in Almaden in south San Jose and we registered at that store. I couldn't believe how incompetent the staff was and how poorly managed that store was. (This is before we moved across country to Fairfax, VA, when I was 32 weeks pregnant, where I now have THREE BRUs within 30 minutes PLUS BuyBuyBaby in Rockville, MD. Very different from Silicon Valley, but it is baby store heaven here LOL.)

Also, those Snugride boxes may have all been opened to check the bases due to the Graco Snugride recall of a couple months ago. Retailers were supposed to check their inventories to ensure that they were not affected by the recall.

HTH,

Gagesmom
10-08-2002, 02:29 PM
I had to return several things that I received as gifts from my baby shower to BRU, because they were in boxes that LOOKED New but there was stuff missing, etc. 2 things that really stand out are: Graco baby swing, which my DH got mostly put together when he realized that the seat cover was missing! And, (this is so gross), a Diaper Genie that had a DIRTY DIAPER in it! I almost puked! When I brought the stuff back, I said, "Don't you guys check the boxes when you get returns? How can you put the stuff back on the shelf without checking?" The girl just looked at me blankly: I could tell she was thinking that she makes $7.00 an hour and she could care less. At least they have an easy return policy.

suzska
10-09-2002, 06:59 PM
I returned something to my local TRU last year (Snugli Carrier that I got as a shower gift and didn't want--I never even took it out of the box). The woman at the Customer Service desk wouldn't accept the return until she opened the box and checked the item.

Gagesmom
10-25-2002, 07:22 PM
Just thought I would add, I had my shower for my newest baby this past weekend, and the bouncy seat that I got (from BRU) had bent framing and pieces missing...I'm so glad I tried to get it together before my baby's born. I took it back and told them that I wanted the same one, but the only other one like it was in an open box as well, I said, "NO WAY!!!!!!!" So, it took me about 20 mn to find a bouncy seat that was what I wanted and in a new box without pieces gone, etc! They did let me go thru the boxes, etc till I found one that was acceptable, which I appreciated. I still think it's crazy that they have such problems with this, tho-and it seems to be all over, not just here in S. FL where I live. I've never had this same problem at Toys R Us, tho. I wonder what's the deal with that, since they're the same company?

Melanie
11-26-2002, 07:39 PM
Just one of our tales of BRU is that they sold us the right glider at the wrong price...luckily I noticed before we left that it was more expensive. Their response? "It's not our fault, the manufacturer put the wrong sticker on it." Okay, I used to work retail, I am nice to employees when people make mistakes, but they still need to apologize!! Then we waited 15 minutes for someone to help us to the car. I think they just ignore those pages and figure you'll give up waiting.

Mommy to Jonah