PDA

View Full Version : peg perego pliko strollers

kathy1
04-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Hi, we are expecting our first baby and a little overwhelmed by all the choices in strollers. After reading the Baby Bargains book I am leaning toward the Perego Pliko as it seems to fit our needs (light weight, has height adjustable handles & can put infant seat in it). However, when I looked at it in the store it looks like the basket is hard to access, has anyone had problems with this? My sister keeps telling me that the snack tray is really important & I don't believe the Pliko has this either. We are on a budget so I didn't really want to spend more than mid $200 for this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Libby_1
04-01-2002, 03:42 PM
We ordered the 2002 Peg Perego Pliko stroller travel system (comes with the car seat) from the Costco website. We haven't received it yet but hopefully this week. We found the cost to be lower than most places at $219 even with the $40 shipping fee. The other place we looked was on Ebay which had quite a few of them.
Good luck. Liz

pamela mom of 3
05-08-2002, 06:20 PM
It's not too bad, the basket that is, generally coming in from the side is the best way. As for tray the '02 trek has a child tray and the tray will also be available to purchase for the plikomatic model.

:) hope that helps....

charigot
05-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Have you actually tried this stroller in person? I really liked it, too, to begin with, so we tried it at a local store and we didn't like the separate handles. It just didn't handle as well as the models with one handle. Just my 2 cents. I would definitely try before you order online.

cluelesswonder
05-28-2002, 08:49 AM
I looked at the pliko stroller (and even registered for it) as well as the Graco Saratoga model. When we were shopping, I was 9 months pregnant and so couldn't really try lifting the strollers. My husband and I looked at the actual labelled weight and then compared how heavy the strollers actually felt - the two models we looked at weren't too far apart! You should definitely try out the strollers if you can for handling, ease of fold/set up, and measure it to see if it will fit in your car trunk! We felt they were comparable on the above issues for us.

If you're not sure how you might use the stroller, go to a local mall or park and start stroller watching! That's how I started to learn how strollers were really used and how much space the baskets actually had! :7

We ended up getting the Graco as a gift and so far it's been good. (We've had 2 months to play with this.) The single handle does seem to work better for me since I've had to try to juggle a diaper bag in addition to the stroller/seat/baby. (Use a backpack for a diaper bag- keeps both hands free and the bag won't slip as you bend over to check your baby.) If you're concerned about basket size, definitely go for the Graco or other larger models. The basket holds the "gift diaper bag" you get from the hospital as well as a similarly sized grocery bag (although you can't really access these well if the stroller seat back reclined - as it will be when you have the seat on the stroller). The parent tray is nice for drinks, but is most useful for temporarily holding pacifiers, bottles, burp cloths, keys, and other smaill items you may need to put down within reach during a feeding or diaper change. I've decided the kid snack tray is definitely important not only for a better platform to place the car seat upon, but also later for a place for kiddo to place her drink/snack/toy.

The drawbacks are the wider size (harder to fit in narrow aisles) and the minor trick of aligning the front wheels before closing the stroller.

Good luck with your delivery!

kathy1
06-03-2002, 03:01 PM
I actually recently decided that I do need something with one handle rather than the two umbrella handles - have you decided on a stroller & if so which did you get?

hardysmom
06-04-2002, 10:57 PM
I am a big Perego fan. I have a Milano, but if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Pliko. It is one of the few strollers out there which could actually be a one-and-only stroller AND last for a couple of kids.

One great stroller irony seems to be that the more expensive the stroller, (Perego, Maclaren, etc) the crummier the basket. In particular, Eurpopean strollers don't seem to do the baskets well. My Milano has a nice size basket, but it is very hard to access. You just need to think about how you will use the stroller-- will you actually go shopping in the neighborhood and need the basket to carry home groceries, or do you just need a place to stow away your diaper bag at the mall? If it is the latter, you will probably be fine with the Pliko. As for the snack tray-- I have never missed it.

Basically, you just have to balance your need for a solidly built, well-engineered stroller against a stroller with more convenience functions, like big baskets, cup holders, etc... One isn't any better or worse, its just a matter of preference.

Dmart2000.com has some Plikos for $99, which is a great deal. I bought a Maclaren from them recently and couldn't be happier with their service.

estrellamountain
06-09-2002, 10:34 AM
We love our Pliko, the basket is not as large/accessible as some of the other strollers out there. But it does have lots of nooks & crannies (such as stashing the diaper bag on the rail directly behind the seat, or looping the straps over the handles) and there are accessories you can purchase to make it more convenient. Prince Lionheart makes a cupholder that will attach to the side of one of the handles (about $6, try Target or B'R'Us). You can also buy a mesh carry bag that hangs directly below the handles to hold all kinds of baby paraphenalia (range from $5-$10). Just some ideas . . :-)

Jennifer

keli
08-12-2002, 04:00 PM
The Pliko is a great stroller to get it only weighs 14 pounds and folds like an umbrella stroller.The basket is a bit small but every stroller has it's draw backs. As to what your sister tells you about the snack tray it is a nice thing to have and you should look into getting one through Peg since they are starting to make them.The draw back to a tray is that it is next to impossible to find toys that will accomidate a tray your almost better off with a bar instead.

Garrettsmom
08-15-2002, 06:41 PM
I don't know how anyone uses a stroller with two umbrella handles...I bought a Combi Ultra Savvy and love it. I think they added a snack tray for 2002 and it weighs about 13 lbs. (Mine is only 10 lbs but no snack tray) It takes an infant seat, is much more narrow and manageable than the Graco strollers, and folds up small and fits nicely in my trunk. Travels well also. Yes the basket is small and kind of inconvenient, but I've stuffed quite a bit in it. Also, as someone mentioned, you can get those mesh bags and hang one on the back of the handle. Good luck!

Melanie
08-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Have you looked at the Combi Convenience 6630? It's not aluminum, so it weights 19, but I like all the features (big basket, parent/child snack tray, bigger canopy, full recline, bar for infant seats). The handle doesn't go up & down, but swivels to three positions. I wish more made the height-adjustable handles. It's worth a look. I also checked out the Ultra Savvy, but I didn't like the bag instead of a parent tray, but that's just me.

Mommy to Jonah

Gagesmom
09-15-2002, 04:50 PM
I love my Pliko and I have an enormous basket under the stroller that is quite convenient, in my opinion. Granted, it cost me an extra 20 bucks cuz i had to buy it separately, but i do like it quite a bit. In my opinion, a cup-holder and/or snack tray were not high on my list of priorities and I have never missed them. I like the durability of the Pliko, the easy-to-foldness of it, how light it is, and how easily it steers and pushes over any surface, even gravel and grass, even with a heavy toddler or pre-schooler riding in it. I don't think you'd regret your Pliko purchase, but do your research and see: everyone has different needs.