PDA

View Full Version : What is up with diaper sizes??

Garrettsmom
07-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Is it just me? My son seems to need diaper sizes that 'begin' several lbs heavier then his actual weight. Huggies and Pampers make these diaper sizes with huge weight ranges that overlap, which makes no sense to me, and the size chart on Pampers is a total joke. (At the 90th %ile for height, my son's height was several inches shorter than the size chart indicated a baby could be and still wear a given size diaper at the maximum weight...Andre the Giant was never so tall as a baby!)

egoldber
07-17-2002, 01:38 PM
I have also found that I need to move up a size just before the weight range listed on the diaper package. While the smaller size still technically fits her, she becomes more prone to blowouts as she approaches the limit. Moving up a size stops the blowouts. That said, I am using Pampers size 4's. I know many folks with babies her size (20 pounds, 28 inches) that are still happily using 3's. It really depends on your baby.

HTH,

ct
07-17-2002, 02:54 PM
I totally agree about the sizing. I really have just looked at the weights rather than the heights, but they never coincide with reality. I have found that the diapers start leaking when my DD gets too big for a size. Once the leaking starts, I move up to the next size - I don't even really look at the recommended weights anymore. Also, it seems to me that Huggies are sized slightly larger than Pampers.

ct

Garrettsmom
07-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback...nice to know it isn't just something I am doing wrong! It just seems wrong to need a diaper that says it can take a 37 lb kid when my son is only 18 lbs! I just bought a super-mega pack of size 3 pampers (my son is 18 lbs/28 inches at 5 months!) and was wondering if I wanted to open it or not. I worry that they'll be too small before I finish them. I guess I'll just have to live with it!

cluelesswonder
07-27-2002, 08:37 PM
I thought I was the only one with this problem! Not only with the weight/height sizing, but with the leakage too.

Our "string bean" of a daughter was born 6lbs 13 oz and the Huggies size 1's leaked like crazy. (The hospital put her in the 1's.) We then tried the Huggies newborn, but found the center where the absorption was supposed to happen was too narrow to adequately catch everything. The Pampers newborn fit just right. When I held up the Huggies vs Pampers size 1 diapers, the Pampers seemed wider to me and didn't leak as often as the Huggies.

An impromptu survey of our new parent's group suggested that all the parents of baby girls liked Pampers best, but the parents of boys seemed to like Huggies. Maybe it's a difference with the pelvis/hip size already!

At this point, I've used the "too small" diapers to wipe up spills and as an extra absorbent layer when I give my DD "air time" - when she can go without a diaper and let her bottom "breathe".
(Of course, we also have an old Tshirt and a large waterproof pad under too . . .)

Gagesmom
09-13-2002, 11:53 PM
Well, I can tell you that I liked Huggies Supremes over any diaper til my son was about 20lbs, then I found I could switch between Pampers/Huggies and be happy. My sis-in-law has 2 girls and won't use any diapers except Pampers, so maybe there is some truth to the sex/brand correlation. My son is rather slim, and always has been (born at just 6lbs 0oz and at age 2 still only 24lbs but quite tall). He's got a very narrow pelvis and the Huggies Supremes seemed to fit him the best with the least blow-outs and/or leaks.
BTW, I always moved up a size a few pounds BEFORE what it said on the package, too! He's been in size 4 diapers now for over a year, however.