PDA

View Full Version : Accurate thermometer for 4 year-old

momathome
07-26-2002, 09:29 AM
I posted this on the toddler board, too. We have the Braun Thermoscan thermometer, which I think is terribly inaccurate. My daughter has been sick this week and we took her temp 3 times in 5 minutes with the Braun and got readings ranging from 102 degrees to 104.9 degrees. We also have a Safety First digital thermometer which we tried getting her to keep under her tongue, but being the squirmy 4 year-old that she is, this was no easy task. I am desperate to find a good thermometer that is somewhat consistently accurate. Right now, I'm just frustrated. Has anyone used the electronic forehead thermometer - is this any better? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
-Lauren

kathsmom
07-26-2002, 10:53 AM
My mom was going to buy a Braun digital thermometer for our baby (due 9/30/02). She asked a lady with a baby at the store if she had used one and the lady said not to waste money on it! My doctor's office uses a digital thermometer and I don't think it is good either. I have taken my daughter in with a fever of 101-102 and it will read 99. I use a regular mercury thermometer. My DD is 6, but she was pretty good about keeping it under her tongue. I have also put the mercury thermometer under her armpit. The nurse at the dr.'s office said just to add 1 degree to the final reading if you put it under the armpit. I hope this helps!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and baby boy on the way (9/30/02)

laura_winckler
09-20-2002, 02:00 PM
We have this thermometer, too. I've never used it on my children, but it can't read my husband's temperature at all. It always says that he is lower than normal even when he is clearly running a temp. It does better for me. I think it must be related to the shape or angle of our ear canals. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it. We have a digital thermometer that I use with DS that seems to work just fine. I take his temp rectally if I want to be accurate, or under his arm if I want a general ballpark.

Laura
SAHM to Eric (9/5/00) and Robin (9/3/02)

egoldber
09-20-2002, 02:27 PM
An accurate reading with the ear thermometers is definitely related to the shape of the ear canal. I always take Sarah's temperature with a digital rectal thermometer. It is so fast (about 10 seconds) and easy.

HTH,