PDA

View Full Version : Rant about Target!

kathsmom
10-21-2002, 12:13 AM
I know there is already a thread about Target and their return policy, but I just wanted to let you know my experience with their returns.

Usually, I have no trouble returning anything to them, but not today!! My mom had bought some baby things for me in July. DS was born 9/23/02. The last day to return items was 10/13/02. I went in today (10/20/02) with the items (2 Munchkin powdered formula containers and 1 package of Avent nipples) to return them for store credit. These items were in the packages - the packages were not damaged or opened. I also had the gift receipt, as well as the original receipt. I told them that I had a newborn and he wouldn't take powdered formula at this time, so I needed to return the containers. DS doesn't do well with Avent nipples either, so I needed to return those. The guy at the return desk scanned in the bar code on the computer and the computer said that it could not process the transaction. I know that I was 7 days past the limit, but for pete's sake, I had a baby 4 weeks ago and we are still in the process of trying to see what works for him! I also haven't felt up to going out and doing lots of returns, due to lack of sleep! I wasn't asking for money, just store credit. It's not like these were seasonal items - they sell these everyday of the year!

What do you all think? Was I wrong to think that I should be able to get store credit for these items?

I was disappointed and DH said that if they really wanted to they could have let me have store credit - they just hide behind the computer and say that the computer won't let the transaction go through. I don't know much about computers, so I don't know if they could have changed anything at the local store or not.

Sorry this is so long, but I was so mad and had to let off some steam!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

mykoleary
10-22-2002, 04:53 PM
Come back when someone else is running the customer service desk. Good times are weekday afternoons, as the teenagers are still in school, and you have a better shot at an older person who cares more about service and probably knows more about how to run the system they have there.

If that fails, talk to a manager.

We've been able to return products without receipts to Target before (Seattle, WA area.) They DO require a same visit exchange to a product in the same department, but there are so many baby items, that this shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!

Myk.

suzska
10-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Toni,

Do you have a TRU nearby? Do they stock these items? If they do, return them there for store credit. Yeah, I know they weren't bought there, but if they stock them they'll take them back without a receipt. Or at least they did for me. I got a Snugli carrier as a shower gift that I didn't really want. I have no idea where the person bought it (and of course she didn't give me a gift receipt). But I took it to my local TRU, the woman inspected it (I hadn't even taken it out of the plastic/box), and gave me store credit. I turned around and bought diapers or formula or something.

I think I have to stand behind Target on this one--their gift receipts state the last day for returns. Sorry....

kathsmom
10-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Sue,

I don't think that TRU or BRU sells the Munchkin containers - at least I haven't seen them there. You're completely right about the date on the receipt and I know they have every right to refuse to let me have store credit or do an exchange. I was hoping I could be cut some slack since I do have a young baby, everything was intact in its packaging, I had the receipt and the 90 limit was so close to my delivery date. It has taken awhile to figure out what DS likes and needs. They wouldn't be losing any money - I would just turn around and use the store credit that day. Maybe my mom shouldn't have bought the stuff when the 90 day limit would be so close to my delivery date.

Anyway, I was tired and upset already when this happened at Target. The guy behind the counter was nice to me and I was nice back to him. I was just disappointed.

I know that I am probably being whiny and complaining, but with DH travelling again and me not having any sleep, I guess that I just sometimes want to have a "pity party". It's not like my mom or I are out of a lot of money, I just wanted to return the stuff I can't use and get something I can use!

Thanks for the suggestions! I may try to go back on a weekday morning or afternoon and talk to a manager.

mspacman
10-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately Target and other stores are really toeing the line about returns these days, requiring receipts and all. Like traffic jams, spam and ducking snipers in the parking lot, we may just have to get used to it :(

Rather than butting heads over fairly small items, if they're still sealed, maybe you can just set them aside for the next shower you get invited to, or for a yard sale or consignment. After all, your USED items start piling up mighty fast :) Most of the gifts I got didn't even have receipts. Big items (lamps, 2 Diaper Genies) got returned to BRU for gift cards; little things like nipples, bottles and bottle holders (I breastfeed) I threw in a box and gave away to various people. I got several diaper bags I didn't want (pastels, ducks and bunnies are NMS) so I stuffed them with outgrown Size 1 diapers and gave them as shower gifts.

kathsmom
10-23-2002, 12:39 AM
Sigh! You all are right. I know these are the small things, and I certainly don't want to butt heads over it. It's just that I have been an avid Target customer for years, and with their stricter policy, I feel that those of us who don't abuse the system are paying the price for those who do abuse it. I probably shouldn't have posted this "rant", but it's a case of me speaking without thinking first. Can you erase a post? Or is it here to stay? I am really starting to really feel like a little brat about the whole thing!

I am sure that I can find someone to give the Avent nipples to, and I can probably use the formula containers for snacks or something.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth you guys. Myk., I still may try one more time to return the stuff on a weekday like you suggested.

egoldber
10-23-2002, 08:40 AM
Toni, BRU/TRU didn't use to sell these containers, but I am almost positive that I have seen them there recently. It's worth a shot.

Also, I now use my formula container to carry snacks. The three compartments are great for Corn Chex, Cheerios and Goldfish! I have also used it to carry infant cereal. It's really great for travel.

HTH,

Gagesmom
10-25-2002, 07:28 PM
I also love those powdered formula containers for snacks, etc for an older baby/toddler-and your baby will be there before you know it!!!!!!!! Keep them! It's really funny, I breastfed my DS and never gave him formula, and I was at my MIL's vacation home with my family and was looking for little snack cups for my son's crackers, etc-I found one of those formula holders in the cupboard (My MIL has lots of small grandchildren), and was so happy! I thought, "How nifty for snacks, cereals, etc! I have to get some of these!" I didn't even know they were for formula!
As for the nipples, BRU or TRU will take them back.

kathsmom
10-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions for the formula containers. I had not really thought about them for snacks or rice cereal. They were not around when DD was born.

I know I probably over-reacted and I apologize if anyone thinks I have been a little "bratty" and overly sensitive. I have been surviving on about 3 hours of sleep each night, and with DH travelling again, I get even less rest. The day I tried to make the returns to Target, DH was getting ready to go out of town and I HAD to buy my DD some fall clothes. It's getting chilly here and all she has are summer clothes. She is at a weird size, so we had to try on tons of clothes just to find a few outfits that fit, and of course, they were Osh Kosh and Carters (luckily they were on sale for 30% off). Unfortunately, she can fit in very few things at Target or Walmart. Anyway, spending 2 hours with a 6 year old fashion diva trying on clothes can try the patience of a saint. We then went to Target for the returns. I was very nice to the man at the return counter even though he said he could not take them back. I guess that the more I thought about it, the madder I got and wrote the post. I had also been to the target-sucks.com website mentioned in the other Target thread (which I probably should not have done) and got even madder.

Just wanted to let y'all know that I am usually not so snippy about something like this. It's probably lack of rest and hormones adjusting back to normal.

Thanks again!