PDA

View Full Version : Sales tax with Lands End catalog orders!

Nina31
12-09-2002, 10:41 PM
I am so bummed out! I just ordered some merchandise from Lands End online, and I got charged for state tax! The customer service rep explained to me that its due to the merger with Sears and the fact that Sears has stores in my home state (Pennsylvania). It's some sort of state regulation. What really gets to me is that Sears will only be carrying a limited amount of Lands End merchandise for now, and it will be awhile before they carry a significant amount of stuff. I have become a big fan of Lands End lately, and this really bothers me. By the time you add shipping and sales tax the cost of everything really adds up!!

Nina

hellollama
12-10-2002, 09:14 AM
I was really ticked off when I had to pay sales tax as well. Michigan tax forms have a place to pay tax on internet purchases. It you don't know the exact amount, you can just pay an amount that they specify, and since we buy a lot online, that is what we do. I think we already pay our fair share because of this. And yes, I resent the fact that there is no Lands End store in my state, yet I have to pay sales tax. Sure places like JC Penney charge tax, but I can physically go into one of their stores to shop. And places like Old Navy and Gap only sell maternity online, but you can return items to the brick and mortar stores for free. With Lands End, you have to ship the stuff back. I wonder if Sears will now let you return Lands End merchandise to their stores?

divabell
12-10-2002, 09:48 AM
Here's what the LE website says on the return issue and Sears:

"We're sorry, Sears stores can not process Lands' End catalog or Internet returns at this time. We hope to offer that added convenience in the near future."

I hope they do it--it really would be great. But I guess we'll just have to stay tuned.

--Lori R.
(TTC!)

muskiesusan
12-10-2002, 03:37 PM
I just placed an order for Lands End via Amazon, but was not charged any sales tax, go figure! Amazon was horrible to navigate, but they are running a special that if you spend $50 in apparel, you get $30 towards your next purchase.

Susan

Nina31
12-10-2002, 04:55 PM
I believe it depends on which state you live in and if the state charges sales tax on certain items. In Pennsylvania, we don't get charged for clothing but we get charged for "non-essential" items. I happened to order a "non-essential" item (a piece of luggage). It's still not fair though, because before I was able to order these types of items without having to pay the sales tax. I guess I'm dissapointed in the whole Lands End/Sears merger. I hope it doesn't cheapen Lands End. I'm not fond of Sears, so I was a little weary when I heard of the merger in the first place.

Nina

muskiesusan
12-10-2002, 05:52 PM
I live in a state that has sales tax on clothes, so I think I wasn't charged sales tax because it was through Amazon. I too am weary of the merger with Sears, I hope it doesn't affect quality down the road.

Susan

shall85296
12-22-2002, 11:44 PM
You might want to check and see if Sears will order any Lands End products that they may not carry in the store and have it shipped to the store, and not charge you shipping. That way the tax would be negated by the lack of shipping charges.... I know Eddie Bauer does that sort of thing.