PDA

View Full Version : Horrible ER experience

Rachels
12-17-2002, 10:38 AM
OMG, we had to take Abigail to the ER last night. She had been miserable for two days with constipation (a nice side effect of starting solids) and woke up 3 times screaming inconsolably. We waited two and a half hours, then saw a dr who didn't even know how to fasten a diaper!!! She said to give her prune juice. I said she was allergic to prunes. She said it wouldn't be whole prunes, just the juice. (!!!) Then she said to give her Mylicon. I said that I had, and that it didn't help. She said, I swear to you, "Well, it does help." (Really? Then why has my baby had pain the last four months, and why was she screaming so much last night?) Then, as if she weren't on enough of a roll, she said I should stop nursing and give her formula because my breastmilk might be bad for her. Are you kidding me? So the answer, after much misery for my daughter and an awful wait --did I mention that the TV in the lobby was blaring a football game so loudly that my husband couldn't hear me talk, and that they refused to turn it down even though it was the middle of the night and there were five sick babies threre? -- was to give her a food she's allergic to, a medication which hasn't helped, and to give up breastfeeding and let a cow take over my daughter's nutritional needs. (No offense to anyone using formula-- it's just not right for us.) Then she sent us home. No relief at all. We are exhausted, and I am steaming!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
12-17-2002, 01:13 PM
Oh... my... gosh... Rachel, my jaw has dropped and I can't believe the gall of this "medial professional." Maybe in your sleep-deprived state instead of going to the hospital you walked into McDonald's and it was the cashier who gave you this diagnosis? That is the only thing I can think of to explain such a rude, insensitive and down-right incompetent assessment.

Hoping you get more rest in the time ahead...

egoldber
12-17-2002, 01:16 PM
My dear, you need to write a letter. Address it to the head of the ER, with copies to the head of Pediatrics, the hospital's risk management office and to that doctor. That is unconscionable that they would recommend such horrible things.

Does your ped have 24 hour on-call service? That is one of the main reasons I chose my peds office (I have stayed for other reasons...).

Don't get mad, fight back!

mama2be
12-17-2002, 02:27 PM
I love it Sarah....does sound like she walked into McDonalds :)

Rachel...IF you do not have time to write a letter by all means CALL THAT HOSPITAL INSTANTLY....Make two calls (maybe three)...

1. Patient Relations
2. Hospital Administrtor
3. Head of the ER Dcotors

I've said this beofre that I know letters are usuallyt he way to complain, but in the case of hospitals (from my 15 years experience working in an ER)...an instant gripe of a phone call and they realize they can just keep coming, caused our hospital to jump the second the call came in. Letters typically didn't seem to do as much or get as much response "not a sqweeky enough wheel"...

I am so sorry that you were treated like that, but I would make it known. Now a days you can't tell the housekeeper from the doctor at these places. Everyone is in scrubs and their IDs are not on. Maybe instead of walking into McDonalds the housekeeper was telling you what to do...(Of course I am joking)...

And the TV thing...mention it that is not to little of a thing not to mention...that staff should be ashamed of themselves. If you bit** enough they will respond to that Dr I guarentee!!!! and I would dispute paying the co-pay for the lousy service as well!!!!

Melanie
12-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Are you sure that was a doctor that you saw? What a moron! First of all, breastmilk has laxative qualities so what the heck was she thinking to put a constipated baby on milk?!? Oh my word. Write that letter and cc: as many higher-ups as you can!

P.S. You didn't ask for suggestions, so forgive me if you don't want them, but I have found that probiotics works really well for Ds' constipation. We use Natren's Life Start. You can get it in the refridgerated section of heath food stores or online. I swear it's like a miracle. I try to give it to him every other day or so, but I don't always. Well, he hadn't pooped in three days, I gave him some and a few hours later - look out! Also, massage on their tummy (not after a meal) works sometimes, too. There are probably some sites on the 'net with massage techniques, but I was told clockwise.

Aren't you glad that you're such a strong mom that you didn't just listen to her? I'm sad to think of how many parents she's "educated."

Mommy to Jonah

nohomama
12-17-2002, 10:27 PM
If you have the energy write AND call AND refuse to pay that hospital. As an added measure relay your experience to your insurance company as well. I don't now that they'll do anything but I imagine they would be VERY interested to know about such incompetence. Especially considering the cost of a visit to the ER.

Lola had problems with constipation when she was young (starting at about six weeks). The best remedy for us in the long term has been Craniosacral Therapy.

For relief (both comic and otherwise) in the short term, we've used glycerine suppositories (pediatric size!!!) with AMAZING results. Talk about a !@#$% storm. Poop just came pouring out of Lola.

We've only ever used probiotics when Lola has been on antibiotics, but I think its a good suggestion in this instance too. From reading your posts it sounds like Abigail has had gas and discomfort for awhile. Even if the acidopholus doesn't help the constipation, beefing up her intestinal floral couldn't hurt. One thing to be aware of since you're on an elimination diet is that many of the brands of probiotics I've seen have trace amounts of lactose and milk.

Melanie is correct about working in a clockwise direction when doing abdominal massage. Start in the lower right quadrant at the top of the hip with your fingers pointing towards Abigail's head. Move up until you reach the bottom of her rib cage, then turn your hand so your fingers are facing her left side. Sweep your hand across the top of the abdomen. Once you've reached the other side, rotate your hand so your fingers are pointing towards Abigail head again. Finish by dragging your hand down to the top of her right hip. Think ascending colon, transverse colon, and descending colon. NEVER work in the opposite direction!!!!! Your goal is encourage things to move along in the same direction that peristalsis would naturally move them. Using warm sweet almond or any other food grade oil as a lubricant is soothing and keeps you from pulling the skin.

I hope you all get some relief and some rest.

Take care,

Jenn23
12-18-2002, 06:43 PM
All I can say is what a moron you had for a doctor.I do belive I would have asked her how in the world did she ever graduate medical school.And what I don't understand is why she thought your breastmilk was bad for Abby.Any doctor with common sense would know that its not the mothers milk that causes problems with babies that have tummy trouble. Its the things we eat that the baby can not tolerate since it pases through our milk that cause the problem.

I've been through the same problems when my little girl was a baby. And if you did listen to that doctor and gave her formula I do believe Abbys tummy problems would be even worse.The reason I say this is cause I was going to wean my daughter at 6 mounths and boy what a nightmare that was.She was either alergic to every formula on the market or it made her very constipated.So back to breast milk we went.Not that I'm agaist formula.It just wasn't for Caitlin cause of her terrible allergies

Now from what I've read for other people that replyed to this post I take it that you are on a elimination diet?I know everything looks bad right now but it will get easier.I know the first thing I stayed away from is anything dairy,lactose,wheat,and soy.And it seamed to help alot.I also stayed away from fruit for about ten to fourteen days then eat only one fruit a week.If it seamed that it made her tummy worse then I would take that as she was allergic to that fruit.The reason I did this cause it seemed she had alot of problems with fruit than veggies.I also stoped with the solids and then reintroduced them when she was 9 mounths old.Her doctor said that she would be fine and that babies could live just on breastmilk for the first year of life,and as long as she was gaining weight that was fine if I wanted to even wait untill she turned a year old to stated solids.To anyone who wants to to this I would consult with your doctor first.

And I agree with everyone else about complaining what awful care your baby got.And I wouldn't even pay for the copay either.Remeber the doctor is there to provide a service for you and your baby and your the one paying for it.Not the other way around.

Good luck with the Abbys tummy troubles

Jenn

starrynight
12-19-2002, 01:16 AM
I don't post here much, but anyway what an a$$ of a doc. My goodness, I swear sometimes in the ER they grab people off the street, throw scrubs on them, and then have them treat people who have been waiting forever. URGGGG Man I would have decked her LOL but thats me. I agree with everyone else write,call, complain!!!! I'm sorry your baby is sick :( I hope her belly feels better soon. I had a stupid pediatrician once, told me to give my son something he was allergic too and she was going to prescribe an anitbiotic for something without even examing him! Some docs must have gotten their diplomas at the dollar store. :) ~jackie

jojo2324
12-19-2002, 01:30 AM
WRITE WRITE WRITE!! Write your local paper and do what else you need to do to let others know what horrible treatment you received. I can't believe she said your BM must be bad. That is just so absurd! I can't stand that we are at the mercy of these people who don't know what is going on sometimes. I know that is a broad statement and that there are people out there who are fabulous at their profession. It just seems that they are few and far between, and certainly aren't working at my hospital. But we are fortunate in that we don't have the mentality, "Well, that's what the ER doc said, it must be true." Thinking of you and Abigail, Rachel...Let us know how she is doing.