PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy acne - HELP!

mcmorfit
01-09-2003, 10:36 AM
I know that your body goes through many things when pregnant and I read that acne might happen, but yet, I still am in denial. With seven weeks to go I have developed reddish rash/bumpy bump spots under my nose and on the side of my chin. I know it isn't that BAD, but I'm still a little taken aback when I look in the mirror. My midwife said that it is just part of pregnancy, but I don't want to believe! Any feedback on what to do would be helpful. I recently switched from organic whole milk to organic skim milk, hum.

Ellen

Rachels
01-09-2003, 11:00 AM
I know. My late pregnancy was okay, but in the beginning, I looked like a teenager. Also, where was that amazing, fabulous hair everybody talks about? Mine was a mess, and now that it's falling out all over the place, I look like a child's doll after that child first gets hold of a pair of scissors. Yikes.

Have you tried tea tree oil for the acne? Also, that Proactiv stuff actually does seem to work, if you care to sign on for having something shipped to your house over and over.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
01-09-2003, 12:35 PM
I have suffered with skin problems my entire life, and I have found that Clinique products are the only thing that keeps my extremely sensitive skin nice and clear. I regularly use their mild soap, 7 day scrub cream, clarifying lotion, and dramatically different moisturising lotion. They have three or four types of the soaps and clarifying lotion, based on your skin type.

However, they also have an excellent acne solutions line. I use some of those products when I get occasional breakouts. I currently have the night treatment gel, but have also used the acne solutions soap. They have a TON of stuff though. I've also found the staff at Clinique counters very helpful. Tell them your problem and they can suggest solutions. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, just ask for a gel or something to use with your current cleansing solution.

Btw, I've been lucky not to get the breakouts much on my face since I got pregnant, instead I've been getting them on my upper back and shoulders. UGH!!!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

jojo2324
01-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I've heard good things about the Proactiv stuff as well, even as a preventative thing, not just a solution to a problem. Tea tree oil really dries out my skin, but I think that's the point. It also really clears my nasal passages! :)

I am an exfoliator. I know it's bad to do it everyday, but I do. I swear by the St. Ives medicated apricot scrub and Cetaphil face lotion. That's all I use. The Cetaphil can get a bit pricey (I think it was eight bucks for a bottle?) but the S.t Ives is about three bucks for the tube. And every once in a while I'll use those Pond's acne discs, the ones you put on when you feel the pimple coming but hasn't fully appeared.

Of course, this week my face has just erupted. It must be stress over starting solids because I have a few canker sores as well! :(

C99
01-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Are you sure it's acne? I developed a rash on my chin and my doctor told me to apply some low-level OTC hydrocortisone cream. Sure enough, it minimized in a few applications and then went away after that.

mamahill
01-09-2003, 04:41 PM
My sister uses and loves Proactiv. Just wanted to put that in, since it seems most people had "heard" it was good. Hang in there - 7 weeks and you'll be on to a new adventure!

todzwife
01-09-2003, 08:28 PM
I use Proactiv and it is great! The woman I work for works for the company that distributes it so I get it for free, it is wonderful. I have had acne since I was 11. I have been on almost every perscription (oral and topical)including 2 rounds of accutane, and nothing has helped like the proactiv. The cleanser has a mild exfoliant (sp?). If you do end up ordering it, get the 3 piece kit, not the 5. It's a waste. ( $20 more for some sunscreen and mask stuff). If you have any more questions about it let me know. Oh! I am endorsing this because I love it, not because of the woman I work for. LOL!
Shandelle :)

brubeck
01-09-2003, 08:52 PM
I have acne all the time (not just when pregnant). I used Proactiv in both of my pregnancies (with my OB's okay) and it worked well.

The other thing that I use every day is a dose of erythromyicin (sp?). This drug is safe to take in pregnancy (in fact it's the antibiotic they prescribe for pregnant women who get the cat poop disease) and again my OB okayed it. It tends to take a month to work but it WORKS. Of course you need a doctor's prescription for it and I suggest you check with your OB first.

The other thing that works well for me was Neutrogena's anti-wrinkle anti-blemish cream. This has both salicylic (sp?) acid and retin-A.

jojo2324
01-10-2003, 12:40 AM
:o OMG, I am nearly peeing my pants...I dunno why, but "cat poop disease" has me in stitches. And I know exactly what you're talking about but cannot for the life of me remember what it is called. A t? But now I have "cat poop disease" bouncing around in my head and that's how I'll forever refer to it, I'm sure.

mcmorfit
01-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Thank you very much for the suggestions, I'll talk to my mid-wife about it at our next appointment - until then, clean, clean, clean!

Ellen

Rachels
01-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Toxoplasmosis. But cat poop disease is much more fun!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

brubeck
01-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Glad I made everyone's day. Gee, what with the ease of getting up two or three times a night to nurse my newborn and dealing with my sibling-envy toddler I'm surprised a word like toxoplasmacatpoop didn't stick in my brain! :-)

And I don't even own a cat!

MartiesMom2B
01-21-2003, 12:43 PM
DH gets horrible acne when he eats greasy food and if it gets on his face (from wiping with a napkin). He uses Mary Kay's acne treatment gel to get rid of it within a day. It's about $7.50 and if you don't like you can get all your money back. To find a consultant just go on the Mary Kay website.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03