PDA

View Full Version : Stretch marks

Rachels
01-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Sigh. Most of the changes my body has endured in this baby-having process are okay with me, and I think I look pretty decent, all things considered. But I hate the stretch marks. I have a little smattering of them on my lowest possible abdomen. They're like dots, exactly the look you'd get if you threw a handful of rice into deep snow at a slight angle. I look like I've been pecked by a slightly maniacal rabid pigeon. I miss my old, unpocked belly. It's a worthwhile tradeoff for my little lovebug, but...mourn, mourn.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Magda
01-19-2003, 07:37 PM
I can comiserate. Although I didn't gain that much weight, I have horrible stretch marks all the way from an inch above my belly button to half way down my thighs. mourn . . mourn. . . mourn

Elaine

gour0
01-19-2003, 08:33 PM
You could always do what my friend did and tatoo red flames over them. I'm not sure I understand it, but she's very proud of it.

sweetbasil
01-19-2003, 11:06 PM
I read (in Girlfriend's Guide, I think) that each baby makes its own set of stretch marks- they're not reusable. I'm really curious to see how this works out, as there isn't much uncharted stretch mark territory around here! :(

JMarie
01-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Has anyone tried the Mederma or other OTC creams that are supposed to diminish the appearance of stretch marks? I've had stretch markes on my legs since eighth grade (thanks to gymnastics and track), so I knew without a doubt I would get them with the pregnancy. The ones on my legs are thin and faded already, so I hardly notice them, but if the creams would at least speed up the fading on my abs, I'd be more than willing to try them! I've already told DH that I want laser treatment once we're through with kids, and he got a big laugh out of that. I wasn't trying to be funny...

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

jojo2324
01-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Oh, it's so good to know I'm not the only one! Well, not good, but you know what I mean. I read some article about Sarah Jessica Parker slathering herself with cocoa butter throughout her PG and she had nary a stretch mark...Well, so did I!!! And I've got LOADS. I have them on my thighs (not because of gymnastics or track...sigh...WISH I could blame that...) and my stomach is just rippled from my bikini line up past my belly button. They seem like a completely different type of stretch mark. A friend of mine made a comparison between my stomach and the striations of a cantaloupe. I must say, quite a good way of putting it.

The hardest part of it is the fact that I didn't get ONE until the last month. Literally. The first day of my last month I noticed the first one, and then every day after they just kept coming and coming, tenacious little things! So I thought I was going to get lucky...serves me right! I've thought about laser treatment, but that could be ten years from now. And who knows what'll happen to my stomach with subsequent babies! I think I read that it's best to have them treated when they are still red, not white or faded.

Shawn's really sweet about it, saying I look great, but I don't like them at all and sometimes I'm still taken aback by them. And the thing is, my stomach has never been flatter...Flabbier, but still flatter. There's a nice bit of irony for you. Well, once I wean I can be flabby, fatty, and marked. A hat trick!

pamela mom of 3
01-20-2003, 06:36 PM
I think most mothers do get some, i have alot of um, doubts that these celebs get left out, doesn't matter how famous or much money you have they are for some fun reason a part of having a baby. I do know some get them worse than others.

Of coarse with having three kids i have them but they do fade out..my youngest is now two and they are not nearly as easy to see as they were when he was younger.

I never really did anything about them while pg i did use creme just to keep the skin from drying out, the stretching of the belly seems to dry my tummy out, actually it still is so i use just a basic body/hand creme.

I think their is some lazer treatment that can help, i dunno i won't bother.

My biggest complaint would be my hernia, now that i do need fixed..when i of coarse i can find time and help LOL ;)

KathyO
01-20-2003, 09:21 PM
I agree with you. The main thing that celebs have that we don't is the services of airbrushing artists for their photo shoots!

Me, I miss my old breasts... and what's with the sudden crop of grey hairs that popped up in the months immediately after pregnancy? My hairstylist, god bless him, refers to them as "ultra-blonde"...

Cheers,

KathyO

brubeck
01-20-2003, 09:42 PM
I watch soap operas and when the actresses have babies it's fun to see them come back afetrwards when they have done their mega dieting post-partum. The first couple of weeks they are always wearing baggier clothes.

One thing I DO notice (especially now that I have had children of my own) is that when these actresses appear in lingere or bathing suits they almost always are in one piece things that cover up the tummy. So I suppose they do have stretch marks even though they have gotten their shapes back! You never see the non-Mom actresses in one piece bathing suits or lingere!

Today I was watching the Bold and the Beautiful and Katherine Kelly Lang (who has 3 kids) was wearing a bra and panties. When she got up they flashed it only briefly but I'm sure I saw stomach wrinkles. Then later they only showed her kissing an actor and that was when her tummy was pressed against his (ie: back view only)! So even though she was in a two piece outfit they didn't really show the front too much. Interesting editing!

MartiesMom2B
01-21-2003, 12:35 PM
I feel for you. I don't have stretch marks on my tummy, but on my butt and my boobs! Aaah. I freaked out when DH pointed out the ones on my butt. He says "You're pregnant. They'll go away" Yeah right! And then yesterday I've noticed that I'm developing spider marks. Sorry for the graphic details. I'm just happy to have people to commiserate with.

I actually have a direct marketing business with cosmetics and they have a new lotion that is supposed to get rid of stretch marks, spider veins, etc. I haven't tried it yet though. From everything I've read on the subject - stretchmarks happens (sigh). Keeping the area moisturized with a thick cream or moisturizer will help because your skin gets dry and then you scratch and it makes it worse, but I don't think it does anything for the actual marks.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03