PDA

View Full Version : FRUSTRATED

jojo2324
01-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Why am I such a persistent ditz? It's really really bugging me. And I expend so much energy trying not to be a ditz, that I end up screwing something else up. Not to say I wasn't flighty before, I definitely was, but this is ridiculous. I feel like my brain is just wading through mud and oatmeal and honey and other schlokky things that might help my skin look radiant.

Shawn is very supportive, though sometimes he loses his patience with me when he has to repeat something 12 times. But my boss at work is NOT understanding at all. He's a nice enough guy, but a 30-year old, football-loving meathead with no desire to have kids doesn't really have the patience for me to mess up about 5 tables every night. And honestly, neither do I! I'm sick of it. I am tired, but not exhausted. My job affords me time during the day to nap. We co-sleep for the most part, so I am not trudging down the hall in the middle of the night to retrieve him.

I remember before I was pregnant wondering what on earth happened to women after childbirth. That won't happen to me, nope it won't! HA!

Case in point: I had to pay my cell phone bill. I wasn't sure if I had paid it yet. I looked through the register of my checkbook to see if there was an entry. Didn't see one, so I scribbled off a check. Went to stuff the check and the bill in the enclosed envelope, only they weren't there. Where did they go? I looked at my register again, realize that YES I did fill out a check for the cell phone company. Look at the envelope the bill came in, and there, in my handwriting: PAID with the date, check number, amount paid. In red ink. And to top it all off, every check I write creates a carbon copy with it. I mean, c'mon, how much more do I need to tell me I paid the friggin' bill?!?!

Are the brains salvageable? Do they ever spring back? Does it get worse with subsequent children? You gotta give me some hope here, I have the mental capability of a slug right now. And even slugs can climb a tree or complete a task. GRRRRRRRRRRRR x(

Rachels
01-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Mommy brain! It's awful. Clay sort of gently confessed his concern tonight that I might leave the stove on and burn the house to the ground. He told me to be careful. What I can't figure out is that I do feel like I'm taking excellent care of my child. How can that be? I can't even complete sentences reliably. Just yesterday, one of my mom friends and I were in hysterics trying to remember the word "mumbled." Mubfld? Grumbled? Muffled? Gruffled? Grmuffbled? It took us a good two minutes.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
01-23-2003, 10:55 PM
My friend from MA keeps telling me she delivered half her brain with the afterbirth. You are not alone. It will come back...maybe. ;)

KathyO
01-23-2003, 11:38 PM
My Mom says that the good news is that you get back all those brain cells you lost in the delivery room. The bad news is that they don't generally come until the kids have left home. (She's not kidding, either. She left for university (going back for her Master's) the day I did (Bachelor's only.) She totally smoked me in the marks department. The first term she was, "Oh, I hope I can pass..." The second term it was, "Oh, I hope I can maintain my straight-A average..." Aw, shuddup, Maw...)

The empty nest is centuries away from where we stand now in the trenches, but at least there's some comfort to be had!

Cheers,

Kathy "Brain and brain - what is brain?" O
(a prize to whoever can identify that quote...)

gour0
01-23-2003, 11:55 PM
I've been telling everybody that all the blood that used to be in my brain is now in my tummy. Surely it will find its way back eventually?

Annette_C
01-24-2003, 12:15 AM
Don't despair, Joanne.
I can tell you from experience that it does get a little better once you start getting uninterrupted sleep. You might think you're getting enough rest now but you're still waking up a few times during the night when Gannon cries....and not for just one night, for most of the first year of the baby's life!
We're lucky we don't look like zombies (wait..maybe we do! LOL).
With my older kids, I noticed my life (and my brain) getting a break when they started school. It took 20 years but I had almost regained full capacity.
I say "almost" because if I had totally regained capacity I wouldn't have been having another baby at this age...knowing what I know!
Who's the winner of the "brainless award" now?!? :)
Annette :)
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Rachels
01-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Yes, I said that too. They say the baby takes what it needs and you get what's left over, so I assume my child will be focused and articulate and energetic and organized and...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
01-24-2003, 12:26 PM
total guess...The Wizard of Oz...????
I want a prize!!!!
:)

COElizabeth
01-24-2003, 02:47 PM
I sympathize. I paid for Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child at the bookstore the other day in hopes of us all getting more sleep at night, and as I walked out the salesclerk called to me that I had forgotten the book!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

KathyO
01-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Nope - Star Trek (the old one).

Kathy "Yup, I'm a nerd!"

mamahill
01-24-2003, 06:22 PM
I am so there with you. I am slightly smarter than when I was pregnant (Joel liked telling people he was enjoying being the smarter one), but that's not saying much. I'm still clumsy too. Who gets off balance just standing there?! Joel just gives me a look like, "Isn't gravity a b!tc&?" It took me 5 runs to the grocery store to remember stamps. And 3 of those times, I only went for stamps and one other thing! Do you know how frustrating it is trying to get your contacts out when you took them out an hour ago? All I can say is that I'm expecting sheer GENIUS from Ainsleigh. So far, I have yet to see the signs. hmmm... where did it go?

jojo2324
01-25-2003, 01:23 AM
HA! Well, I am in good form today...I went to get a massage, yippy! I have never had a massage before, and I was really looking forward to it. Anyway, I was wearing some little white robe and the masseuse (sp?) told me to get on the table under the sheet. To which I replied, "Oh. Should I take to robe off?" He just gave me the most pathetic look and said, "Well, yeah. If you want me to actually massage you..."

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR x(

Sandy
01-25-2003, 02:03 PM
This will make you feel better and not so alone.

I can't even microwave a hot pocket. We got a new microwave and I put it in for what I thought was 3 minutes, but no silly me I walked off to do something else and forgot about it and I had actually programmed it for 30 minutes (stupid new microwave, LOL!). Well about 7 minutes into it as I am in another room the fire alarms goes off and smoke is everywhere, DH is napping on the couch totally oblivous.

The condo reeked of smoke for about a week and to add insult to injury I was wearing my favorite most comfortable sweater and it reeked. I put it in our basket to bring to the dry cleaners and DH thinking he was being helpful threw it into the wash. WAH!!!! It now fits Alexander. Now I am on hunt for a new sweater (something totally impractical like a cashmere hoody for ALexander to drool and spit up on).

I just pray that my brain cells return soon and I won't burn the house down before Alex goes to college.
Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

newbelly2002
01-25-2003, 05:30 PM
So we're cooking for friends both Sat and Sun night. I helped Steve put together the shopping list for Sun's chicken (all stores are closed on Sunday)and said to replace the mozarella with goat cheese. He said he'd put together the grocery list for the lasagna based on the recipe.

Fast forward to an hour and a half before the friends are supposed to arrive.

We pull out the ingrediants, get the noodles into the pan, mix in the ricotta, meat and tomato sauce. I ask if the mozerella is already grated. He says: "you mean the goat cheese." I say: "I mean the mozerella, the goat cheese is for tomorrow." He says: "But you said to replace the mozarella. I only bought goat cheese." I look up at the clock to see that all the stores are long since closed, our friends are now due in less than an hour, and all we have in the fridge is a chunk of extra sharp cheddar. And before I can even stop, I hear myself saying: "But use your COMMON SENSE, you can't make lasagna with goat cheese." He gets very very quiet, and tells me that he'll remember that.

Dante, laying on the playrug just outside the kitchen, starts laughing hysterically. To be honest, it didn't taste too bad. Probably a whole lot better than the humble pie I'm sure to be eating as soon as my turn--and it will--comes.

Just to let you know that Daddy brain seems to be real too.

Paula

mamahill
01-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the laugh Sandy! I'm feeling so much smarter reading all these posts. I'm glad I live now and not several hundred years ago, because for sure I'd be the village idiot by now...

gour0
01-25-2003, 11:51 PM
I think I'd give you a run for your money. To be honest, I think I had a lot of 'ditz' before I was pregnant, too. I remember going to a pizza place and telling the guy that the mix was wrong on the Dr. Pepper. He said, "You're pushing the seltzer button." Ooops. I told him that I'm really a blond (no offense anyone) and that I dye my hair brown. :)

Shirale
01-27-2003, 02:54 PM
I am getting quite a kick out of this thread!!! I too have mommy brain although it is actually much much better now than it was a couple of months ago! A friend of my husbands called the house one day to get DH's work # (which I call an average of 10 times a day) and I said sure no problem, and then thought...wait- I can't remember it...and I couldn't remember- not for a whole day- I had to wait until he called me so I could remember the number I had been dialing for a year and a half...hee hee hee. I can't even think how many times a day I go to get something from another room and can't remember what...

atlbaby
01-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Your story reminds me of a time (no, a few times!!) about 3 weeks after Arielle was born, when I was leaving a message for someone and I was saying my *own* phone number and after the first 2 digits I said the rest wrong (unknowingly!). I hung up, and about 5 min later I though, 'hey did I leave the wrong number?' I was so embarrassed to call back and leave the correct one too! I attributed it to sleep deprivation at the time, but now I know it was just 'mommy brain'! :)

Sad thing is that the phone number thing happened more than once though...

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01