PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a 90 year old woman with arthritis....is this normal?

etwahl
02-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Yikes, my body is really starting to feel the weight and pains of being 8 months pregnant and more than 30 extra pounds. I seriously think I know what it's like to be 90 with arthritis. Especially after I've been laying down. I get up and can hardly move (never mind I can hardly get up!) I shuffle around like I'm never going to make it to my destination. I think my joints have started to loosen, which probably accounts for the feeling of arthritis. I guess I must sleep with my hands in the closed fist position or something, because I often wake up these days and can hardly open them, and then they're sore for the rest of the day. Just to give an example, my hands get so sore, I have a hard time unlatching the dishwasher anymore. It's embarrassing! The other morning I went to move a pillow under my head and I thought I broke my wrist just from the movement. Please tell me others have gone through this? Please tell me it goes away after the baby comes? Will my old bod ever be the same? (okay, maybe not quite the same, but do I have any hope at all?!)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mcmorfit
02-01-2003, 08:17 AM
Well, my dear, we have a case of pregnancy.

I can't tell you what happens after wee one arrives, however I can identify with the puffy hands that are often painful to open (especially in the morning). I spend about 10 minutes in the morning just moving my body around to get the blood going - doing arm circles, leg circles, anything to get my body up.

I can remember begging my husband in my fourth month that if he ever saw me waddling around, to pleade stop me. HA! I'm waddling all over the place, I could get a gold in waddling technique! Yesterday I was in the city waddling away with a laughing smile on my face and people were smiling back - even in NYC! Or maybe were they laughing . . . hum.

Ellen
EDD: 2/23/03

Momof3Labs
02-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Ah, yes, ladies, the stuff that no one tells you about...

I had the painful hands, too, among many other things, and they were almost 100% by the time I left the hospital. Took another few weeks to get to 100%!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

JMarie
02-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Well, I can tell you right now, it doesn't go away immediately, that's for sure! I'm still waddling a little, but when I consider what I just put my body through to bring a little guy into this world, it makes sense. I was on an IV for about 14 hours of labor and delivery and about 4 hours after that as well, plus the epidural for around 13 hours, so I had a ton of extra fluid pumped into me. I'm still really swollen and I'm told it will last a week or two. I'm incredibly sore in the chest not only from the engorgement, which started just last night, but also from pushing - I actually pulled a muscle! It is still hard to bend over, pull myself up, or twist to get something, but if you think about how your abdominals have been stretched and that they are what you normally use to do these kinds of tasks, it makes sense that things would be a bit difficult. I'm finding that I just need to take it slow - when we're not up at the hospital, I need to be on a couch with my feet up, trying to catch some sleep. Just do what you can to get through this time - if the house is a little more messy than usual, it won't make a difference. You need to take care of you more than anything right now. Every day is a little bit better, so I am encouraged by that, but I know I have a long way to go before I feel like a normal person again. You'll do just great - but keep those feet up and get your rest! You're going to need it.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

nigele
02-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Tammy,

Pregnancy can be rotten! Hang in there and remember why you are doing this - there is a huge, shining light at the end of the tunnel, I promise!!

MartiesMom2B
02-05-2003, 05:48 PM
I can sympathize. I feel like I can't get off the couch without grunting and I'm not used to back pain. Now I feel like the underside of my abdomen is going to fall out.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

jaime_n_jay
02-05-2003, 09:18 PM
HA! I know how how you feel. My gripe: The baby has been sitting on a nerve in my right hip for about 2 weeks now and I have lost feeling in two of the toes on my right foot! DH, being the HILARIOUS fellow that he is, pointed out that since I can't feel them and I definitely can't see them, how do I know they are actually still there? ARGH!

itsallworthit itsallworthit itsallworthit itsallworthit....right?

Jaime :)

edd 3/19/03

Momof3Labs
02-06-2003, 12:31 AM
Yes, Jaime, it is!!! And this from a mommy who is still sporting a smart set of stretch marks!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02