PDA

View Full Version : Not Happy w/ USA Baby

MartiesMom2B
02-02-2003, 11:52 AM
DH went to USA Baby yesterday to pick up our crib and hi/low dresser. It was not a good situation.

First of all MIL got us these as gifts and it was a hassle to order through the phone and they misspelled both my first and last name so whenever we called USA Baby they couldn't find us in the computer! Aaargh!

When DH arrived at USA Baby store they informed him that he had to go to warehouse to pick up items (why didn't they tell him this on the phone or when we were in the store). After arriving at warehouse they saw that the hi/low dresser was broken with a huge crack. Again, why don't they check this beforehand? Of course they don't have any other dressers there so now we have to wait again for them to come in. Further aggrevation, the manager who makes decisions was not working yesterday. What a pain.

They did offer to deliver the dresser to us when it gets in. This is the least that they could do!

I guess the moral of this story is when the store calls you and tells you that the furniture is ready that you ask them to check the furniture to make sure it isn't damaged.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

kathsmom
02-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Sonia,

I am so sorry to hear that you have had to deal with all this stuff. I agree - they need to check these things out beforehand and call you so you don't waste your time coming down there only to have to leave empty-handed.

I have heard good things about USA Baby stores. There is one in my area, but on the other side of town, which is a 40 mile drive for me. I called them when I was pregnant with DS to ask if they carried Combi diaper bags. They said yes, so I made DH and DD take me there (and they are not too fond of baby shopping). We arrived and were there looking around for the diaper bags and no one helped us. They were all too busy at the front desk talking. A couple of the employees were helping customers who were making "big ticket" purchases. When we left the store, no one said a word to us. Needless to say, I will not visit that particular store again!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

mama2be
02-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Sonia,

Just because you are in Raleigh I know which store you are talking about...I have found them to have signs out the "ying yang" how they match prices their customer service is the best etc... etc... they post it everywhere and I remind them of this everytime I have a problem...

Well I too have had "non streamlined" customer support from them. I find their staff to be almost asleep BUT the two managers in there (I think MIke) and another guy will bend over backwards if they know you are unhappy.

Make certian they know you are not happy and I bet they'll help you...
go to them and stress your dissatisfaction...

MartiesMom2B
02-02-2003, 07:11 PM
I just wanted to add that we opened our crib this afternoon and there is a crack on the drop-side. AAAHHH. DH is very angry. USA Baby rep said that they'll try to get it right the second time. Uhm, I think it should be right the first time so we don't have to go through this. Hello, I'm on a time schedule here.

Neve, I'll have him talk to Mike and see if this helps any.

I just hope that it doesn't take 4-6 weeks to get replacement pieces to see that they are damaged as well.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

mama2be
02-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Insist that it be there instantly!!!!
and Insist that they deliver it to you...

I wold remind Mike that you are on message boards and that if you are not happy you'll make certain everyone knows (I told him this when one of his workers wouldn't amke a phone call for me to get a price quote for a special order item). Mind you thier little signs all over the place tell you they'll make calls etc etc...

Keep me posted!!!

nigele
02-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Neve is right - talk to Mike. He is the only one I will deal with. And stand your ground, as Neve suggested. You shouldn't have problems to begin with but they should do everything possible to keep you happy.

Momof3Labs
02-03-2003, 10:39 AM
You might want to just bypass the USA Baby person and go straight to the manufacturer - that's what we did when we discovered a crack in the stationary side of our crib (during assembly). They shipped a replacement out to us and we had it in about 5 days (even though the crib took 8-9 weeks to receive).

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

flagger
02-03-2003, 11:10 AM
>You might want to just bypass the USA Baby person and go
>straight to the manufacturer - that's what we did when we
>discovered a crack in the stationary side of our crib
>(during assembly). They shipped a replacement out to us and
>we had it in about 5 days (even though the crib took 8-9
>weeks to receive).

That is what I tried to do with Sorelle. However because of the size of the stationary side (convertible crib), it has to be freighted directly to the store. Called on Friday for an update and haven't received a call back. Of course the guy who orders from the Mfrs is off today. Grrrr.

Still have time before DD is due so I am not panicked yet. Though Ms. Flagger is anxious to get the crib dressed.

Momof3Labs
02-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Flagger - that's odd, because Sorelle shipped the replacement stationary side of the crib directly to us. Maybe they have changed their policies since July/August, when we had our problem.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

MartiesMom2B
02-03-2003, 06:09 PM
UPDATE:

Sorelle is going to send us the side rail directly by Friday via UPS. Even better USA Baby called the manufacturer so we did not have to call them ourseles.

USA Baby is letting us know when the dresser is coming in. It's a Pilliod (sp?) and the manufacturer's computers are down. However they are delivering the dresser to us and giving us a 25% discount on the dresser (techinically is a refund).

So I'm a satisfied customer now. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the new furniture will come in fine.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

blnony
02-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Just a note about the USA in Raleigh/Cary. Our crib was late in being shipped by Pali and I had my baby a month early, and the guy at USA Baby was so nice. If the crib was delivered when they first promised it wouldn't have been a problem; but I was in labor and freaking out because my crib wasn't here, but it came in the day DD was born. USA Baby delivered it and set it up for us free of charge.

nigele
02-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Brianna,

That was the least they could do! What a hassle for you...

mama2be
02-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Insist they look at it first...and hey since we knowthey offer to deliver and set up I'd say shoot for that too...they had no right sending you to a warehouse and them not inspecting it first...

Anyway so thrilled that it all turned out :)

flagger
02-04-2003, 05:58 PM
They definitely will not send the stationary side directly to us. They said it was too big for Fed-ex and UPS and would have to go on a common carrier.

Talked with USA Baby today and Sorelle told them they definitely have the piece and USA Baby has several items on order from them. I was told the piece as well as the missing hardware will come on that shipment, but no estimated time until they get it.

I said well by March 1st at least?

He said he thinks so, should be sooner.

I can always go back and get the piece I left there with the crack, but I don't want to put it together only to take it apart again.

MartiesMom2B
02-04-2003, 06:49 PM
UPDATE TO UPDATE

Dresser is supposed to come in next week. Mike said that he would personally deliver it and that they would check to make sure that it isn't damaged.

I'll let you know how that goes!!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

mama2be
02-05-2003, 05:13 AM
YEAH Mike!!!!
I wonder if he is aware that he pulls the weight for a bunch of incompetants around him....:)
Great news!!!! I knew once he got involved things would rock and roll!!!!

peanut4us
02-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Ha! You all have got me a little paranoid I think. I got a call yesterday from USA Baby saying my crib was in. I was astonished; we only ordered 12 days ago.

So this morning I called and confirmed that my DH should pick it up at the store (yes) and would they mind checking all the pieces since we have about an hour drive to the store. They said it wouldn't go back in the box if they did that, but that in the unlikely event anything was wrong with it, they would either deliver or ship the parts to my house.

So thanks for helping me to know to ask these questions in advance! Hopefully nothing will be wrong with the crib, but if there is, I have a plan already in place.

Joey

new mom in 6
04-19-2003, 08:38 PM
I went into the USA Baby - Bala Cynwyd, PA - poor service! The saleperson did not appear to want to help us. The service at the Baby Room was much better.

Expecting Mom in 6 weeks!

Wheelsmck66
04-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Here's my USA Baby story,

Back in January I ordered a beautiful crib manufactured by EG furniture in Canada. I was told it would take three months for the crib to arrive. Of course having read baby bargains I knew this would be the case.

About three weeks ago I got a call from the store and they told me the crib was in and would be delived on April 16th. I made sure to take that day off from work so I could be there when it arrived. 4/16 came and I waited and waited but no crib. Finally I called the warehouse and asked them what was going on with my delivery. I was told that I wasn't on the list and the crib wasn't scheduled for delivery unil April 30th. I was such a wuss, I just accepted that but when I called DH he lost it. He called the store and told them they were not delivering the crib on the 30th. Don't know what he said to them but the warehouse called me back and said they would be at my house with the crib on April 21st.

Well my crib arrived and guess what, it was a totally different product than the one I ordered! As soon as I noticed the problem I called the store and they told me they would have to check their records. In the mean time I was told to keep the crib I currently have since my baby is due in three weeks. They are allowing me to use this crib until they can figure out what happend with the model I ordered.

I really felt like I had been hit with some sort of bait and switch tactic.This is the kind of thing I would expect from some fly by night company but USA Baby is supposed to be an upscale store. I paid enough for the crib. You would think I'd get the one I actually ordered. The crib they gave me is okay but I'm sure it's cheaper than the one I paid for, besides the style totally isn't what I wanted.

Just before I left for work yesterday someone from USA Baby called me to try to fix things. The guy on the phone was rather snotty to me. He said in this really condescending tone "What is it that you think you didn't get" I was angry at first but I remained cool and I told him the crib I ordered was a sleigh and the one I received had slats all around. Anyway I'm going to use what I have and they are going to reorder the right crib for me. I just wish the whole thing never happened in the first place. Who knows when the right crib will be in.

KMK

edd 5/13/03

Wheelsmck66
07-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Well my crib saga has finally come to a close. USA Baby came through for me. :7 I got a call last week and I was told the crib was in. Received it yesterday. Love it...looks great in my ds's room.
I'm glad I have it but since I've had the baby the crib issue seems like such a non issue now. It's funny how the things that you thought were important really don't matter once a child enters the picture. Anyway everything worked out just like they said it would and the baby's room is finally complete.

MartiesMom2B
07-02-2003, 07:53 AM
I think that it still is appalling service for you not to receive your crib until June 30, when you were supposed to receive in April. This is the kind of crappy service that you can expect to receive from USA Baby. Why is it that we can't get good service the first time around.

Alan & Denise I hope you give USA Baby a poor review, because while they do fix up their mess ups, they have an awful lot of messes to fix.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Wheelsmck66
07-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Sonia,

Just to clarify...I was able to keep the first crib they sent to my house in April. At the time I was three weeks away from my due date and once I found out they had to re-order my original crib I knew I wasn't going to get it before my son was born. Lucky for me I was never without. I heard horror stories about places that just leave you high and dry. It could have been worse. I'm okay with things now.

By the way, your story sounded like a much bigger problem. Hope everything worked out.

KMK

KMommie
07-07-2003, 01:49 PM
USA Baby has terrible customer service!! I ordered my crib and glider there. Both were in stock, so there was no problem there. Then I decided I wanted a "special-order" fabric for my chair pads. They said 12 weeks, well DD was due sooner than that, but I understood, I should have come in sooner to order, my own fault, right? They offered to give me some loaner pads, but I said, no that was okay--- according to schedule I'd only be without chair pads for a couple of weeks after DD was born. So 6 weeks pass, my DH went in to pick up the crib and glider (they kept them on hold for us while we finished the baby's room). He SPECIFICALLY asked about the chair pads. They "checked" and told him it was still on schedule to be in the store in 6 more weeks. They'd call us when it came in. 8 weeks pass, I've lost track of the time, with a newborn, you can imagine, but my mom asks me about the chair pads. I call them, and they said, oh we need to check on it, we'll call you back. They called back two days later to tell me that it had NEVER actually been ordered and I'd have to wait another 12 weeks---but they'd give me loaner pads in the meantime. Okay, here's me postpartum screaming on the phone, what do you mean, it was NEVER ordered? We double checked the order 2 months ago!! Don't try to placate me with loaner pads, you offered that in the very beginning!! Finally, they offered to rush the order and gave us $15 back. Big Whoopee. Here's the really sad part--- they were the only store I could find that would order the Zooper Cool Zone Sport for me, and I had my heart set on it, so I ended up giving them more business. x(