PDA

View Full Version : ABC Kid's Furniture

peanut4us
02-04-2003, 06:17 PM
All I can say is "Argh"! I think this is just in TX, so this thread might not pertain to lots of folks, but I am just so steamed, I had to share.

We've been going through the painful process of buying a crib and combo unit. We actually ordered a Bonavita crib through our local (yet still 45 minutes away) USA Baby. It's only been about a week and a half, so I am hoping that our experience will not make me want to join the rant about USA Baby.

We had been going back and forth between USABaby and ABC Kids because they both carried good merchandise, etc. We alsways had the feeling that ABC Kids was kind of a rip off though, very "boutique" and high-end. Which is not big deal, beacuse you walk in as an informed consumer. Well we didn't like the Bonavita combos... or the prices ($700 at least! ouch). So we decided to go with Rumbletuff, esp. after reading all of the great things about them here.

Last Sat. we went to ABC Kids (the only RT dealer in town) to check out the merchandise and get a price quote, and hopefully place an order. First of all... the sales force there could put used car salesmen to shame... talk about sharks. Second, their prices were, in a word, outrageous... $712 for the RT mucho combo. Then we actually looked, touched etc... a couple of RT combos in the store and were very disappointed about the quality. We did find out while we were there that ABC Kids carried another manufacturer that matches stains that we had heard great things about, Mother Hubbard's Cupboards. We looked at some products and they were awesome. They were also at least $700.

So, I got online and found dealers in Dallas and Houston--each about 3-4 hours away from our house. In Dallas... the prices for the same model and same stain was over $200 cheaper. I was flabbergasted.

So DH and I agreed that it was worth the $20 in gas and his time to order from Dallas and go get it. But we thought we'd give ABC Kids one more shot to match... or get a close match on the time. They'd get the sale, we wouldn't have to go far... Win/win.

Dh went their yesterday afternoon and talked to THE Store Manager, who said she couldn't make that kind of decision. Could DH come back tomorrow and see the store owner, who would be in then.

DH went today... no store manager, no store owner and the sales lady could have cared less that he drove 30 minutes out of his way.

Needless to say, we've already made the call to Dallas and the order has been placed (unfortunately they said 10-14 weeks and we only have 8.5 weeks left, but that is our fault).

Whew.. So the moral of this story is... If you live in Austin don't buy anything at ABC Kids, for the premium price, the service sucks. And if you think some store is trying to stick it to you... call other places you are willing to drive to. It may be worth your time!

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Joey

kathsmom
02-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Joey,

I am sorry to hear that you went through all that. I know it can be frustrating to have to deal with those "sharks". We have several locally owned baby stores, and when we were looking for changing tables, it was awful at one store - just like you said about used
car salesmen (no offense intended for people who make their living this way. The other store had great, knowledgable and nonpushy salespeople.

Are you going to be able to get the crib before the baby comes? I certainly hope everything works out for you.

Good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

peanut4us
02-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Thanks. We should have the cib before baby comes. We ordered it about 2 weeks ago from USA Baby and I'm due April 6.

I was just looking at the room last night (just finished painting, clouds and adding bunny wallpaper border... it's so cute) and I think I will just use some of my larger rubbermaid bins with lids when the baby comes until we get the combo unit. I've got fabric for sewing in them now, so I'm sure her little duds will be fine in it. I'm just not looking forward to changing her on the floor after delivery.

You know the really sad thing is that we have been looking for furniture since November. We just couldn't find anything we liked in a reasonable price. Then we found out about the Field's book through another forum... fatwallet.com. And that helped us narrow things down fast.

Joey -- mom to peanut

kathsmom
02-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Joey,

I am glad that you will at least have the crib for your little one. With our DD, we just put a pad underneath her in the crib and changed her in there. However, with DS, we decided that our backs couldn't handle bending over anymore (we're a lot older that when we had DD!).

Your nursery sounds really cute! You need to post pictures! If you go to the Baby Bedding forum, and look for a thread titled "My seamstress has surpassed my expectations," I think you will find some great pictures of Alexa's (screen name: akc) nursery.

Definitely use the Rubbermaid bins. I bought several for DD and as she outgrew her clothes, I would put them in the bins and store them in the attic. We just gave away all her old clothes to Goodwill and Salvation Army, because we had a son. Now I will use the bins for all the hand-me-downs that my friends with sons are giving me. I shouldn't have to buy him any clothes until he is 5 or 6 years old!!

Good luck with everything!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)