PDA

View Full Version : Glider arrived before baby BUT BROKEN!!!!

deenass
02-26-2003, 05:23 PM
My husband and I ordered a Dutalier glider and thought it may not get here before the baby arrives (due March 13). We were thrilled to come home the otehr day and find it on our doorstoop. My husbnad was so excited to put it together ... only to find (once he had dragged it up the stairs) that it was BROKEN!

To add insult to injury, when I called BabyCatalog, they told me it would take up to TWO WEEKS to get a "return label" so I have to keep the broken glider and the box (which is huge and is blocking the doorway to my house). And the new piece probably won't be here until after the baby! I think I would have preferred not to get it AT ALL!!!!

Funny thing is, when we ordered it, I asked what would happen if it was broken when we got it (what made me think of that) and was told that Dutalier can replace a broken item faster than producing a new order! Hope that's the case!

etwahl
02-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Is the glider usable as is, or just completely broken? I ask, because when we received our glider (from Good Night Ben), one of the handles was cracked. The glider was still usable, I just asked GNB to send us a new handle. It took quite a while to get to us, because it was Christmas and Dutalier closes for the holidays, but it didn't much matter anyway, because DH was gone by the time it got here, so it will just have to wait to be replaced when he gets home.

Otherwise, can you possibly INSIST that they just order and send the broken item asap, rather than waiting for you to ship back the broken piece? After all, this is not your fault, and you should not be penalized for it. I would speak to a manager.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Momof3Labs
02-26-2003, 05:58 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't use the glider much in the first month or so. I preferred to nurse in bed (and snuggle Colin in bed) - I got a lot more sleep that way! And Colin preferred bigger, more jiggly movement (like he experienced in the womb) - the glider didn't do ANYTHING for him until he got a little older.

I hope that it all works out for you!

jaime_n_jay
02-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Wow this is really unaccaptable. Did they say they wouldn't ship the replacement piece until they received your broken piece? I would think that since it is going to take so long to get the return label that, in the mean time, they could at least be shipping the new piece to you. Call back, ask to speak to a manager, and insist that something like this be done. It takes so long to get these gliders in the first place...I cannot imagine your frustration at having to wait even longer now!

And is it really necessary to send the broken piece back to them? I mean, if it is broken beyond repair they are just going to throw it out anyway so why can't you? Definitely talk to a manager. Good luck!

Jaime
edd 3-19-03

deenass
02-27-2003, 12:57 PM
The "broken" part is the fact that 2 of the spindles are not inserted into the holes at the top (they stick out the back) and there is no way for us to insert them (they must install them in the bottom and then attach the bridge piece). I've sat in it (with my husband fearing that I will fall through the back!).

What they told me is taht they process the order and Dutalier starts making a replacement immediately (takes 3-4 weeks) and sends it out when it's ready. I'm not sure if they need the broken piece in order to send it out. I may hold onto to the broken back until I get the new one so that I can at least use it in the interim.

The most annoying part was that we weren't sure where we could keep the box (our garage floor is wet from all the snow) adn so for a few days it was in the doorway (very convenient!). But last night my husband figured out an out of the way place, so we don't have to step around it anymore.

At least the cushions cover the broken spindles, so I can look at the chair and pretend it's fine!

It's amazing to me the "nurse in bed" vs "nurse in chair" camps out there. Everyone SWEARS that they couldn't do it one way or the other and that I'll prefer the way they did it! Guess we all figure it out!

Funny thing is, we have my husband's old rocking chair in the basement (he tried to convince me to use it for our baby, but it's chrome and vinyl and not exactly the look I was going for, though probably looked great during the 70s). He may just get his wish!

wdland45
02-27-2003, 05:01 PM
So sorry to hear about your problems. A similiar thing happened to me. I ordered the Dutalier glider from BRU 4 months before the baby was due (they told me 8-12 weeks to deliver). At the 12 week marker, I went to BRU and asked where my glider was. The response - "oh, it was broken when we received it in the warehouse, so we sent it back" No one from BRU bothered to call me to tell me that my glider was broken and I wouldn't be getting it on time (shame on BRU). Well, the week the baby was born, I still had no glider. I called BRU and relayed everything to the store manager who promptly gave me a loaner glider (NIB) until my custom Dutalier came back in. Two months later I got my glider. So, it took about 2 1/2 months for Dutalier to get a replacent glider to me (which I am sure does not make you feel any better). I would say that you should speak to the store manager about getting a loaner until your glider comes in. They should have "stock" gliders, or at the very least a floor model to loan you. Or if, the glider you have is useable, demand that you can keep it until your replacement arrives HTH.

Danielle