PDA

View Full Version : My Baby Has to Have a Health Club Membership???

August Mom
03-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Ugh. I decided that DS and I would take a water babies class at the health club to which DH and I have belonged for 5 years. DH picked up the information sheet and I called the club on the first day of member registration. After going 'round and 'round, the health club employee refused to register us, saying that I was calling before the signup period started (despite their promotional materials to the contrary). Okay. Fine. We want to take the class. So, I called back a week later on the new first day of member registration. I was asked DS's name and responded accordingly. I was told that we couldn't register for another week because DS wasn't a member of the health club. What? Excuse me, he's 6 months old. I haven't noticed any 6-month-olds using the treadmill or the free weights lately. (In fact you have to be 15 to use any of the equipment). Plus, I am a member and I'm going to be taking the water babies class. Well, I asked to speak with the manager. He was not understanding at all. He just kept saying, "That's our policy." The only rationale that he could give at all was that babies had to be members to use the on-site daycare. What if I don't want to use the daycare? Too bad. It's the same price for DS to be a "member" either way. Even when I threatened that DH and I would take our memberships elsewhere, this guy didn't bat an eye. Like a robot, he said "That's our policy."

So, long story short, if we want to take the class I have to sign up as a non-member a week after the members sign up and pay an extra $20 for the class. BTW, the club has gotten more than enough profit out of my membership to pay for DS's limited use for the pool since I haven't been there in months. Ugh. I tried to shop around but all the other local classes I called are already filled. It just makes me so mad. I think it's ridiculous that babies have to be health club members when their parents are members and we already have to pay for the class anyway.

cara1
03-05-2003, 05:17 PM
How have all the other babies signed up? Do all the other babies have their own personal memberships? Why not find out?

angusmom
03-05-2003, 05:51 PM
Do you have a local park district in your area? Our park district runs classes like this all the time and you don't have to be a member of anything - just pay the resident or non-resident fee for the class.

It's probably not a solution to your problem, but maybe something to look into. For example, maybe if there is a park district pool facility in your area, you could suggest they start a water babies class and you could help get it going. :)

August Mom
03-05-2003, 05:55 PM
According to the manager, there are "members" as young as 6 weeks because that is the minimum age for the daycare at the health club. If you want to use the daycare, the membership is probably a good deal, but if you don't then it's not. I have no way to check how the other babies have signed up because I don't know who they are. I can only go by what the club tells me.

August Mom
03-05-2003, 06:01 PM
We do have a local park district that has such classes. I called them immediately after speaking with my health club's manager. Unfortunately, the class was full by the time I found out that we were classified as non-members rather than members. It sounds like the park district classes fill up the first few minutes that registration begins (i.e. people line up an hour in advance, etc.) so by the time I knew there was a problem it was too late. I thought about signing up for the summer session, but around here there are multiple summer sessions of 2-week periods, 4 classes per week. So, you still wind up with 8 classes, but for water acclimation purposes (and my own sanity) I don't want to take DS to the pool 4 times per week. I think once per week for 8 weeks would be better for getting him used to the water. Thanks for the suggestion, though. We may check out the park district classes in the Fall, but I'd still like to take one before DS turns 1.

MartiesMom2B
03-05-2003, 06:04 PM
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. A membership for the baby so they can go to daycare or attend classes? I would call around and see if other gyms make your child be a member to participate in classes or daycare. Can you cancel your membership? I'd at least threaten the manager with that. How annoying!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

August Mom
03-05-2003, 07:12 PM
We are thinking of choosing not to renew our membership. It's up in another month. I already did threaten the manager with leaving and he didn't care. He didn't even give me an "I understand how you're feeling, but..." Nothing. It's a shame too because until now we've really been quite pleased with this gym.

COElizabeth
03-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Wow, that is really stupid. I'm scared to ask about this at my gym, because I can just see it having some silly policy like that. No helpful suggestions here, but I think you are completely justified in being extremely annoyed!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

LiLRedCV66
03-06-2003, 05:07 PM
What gym is this? Is it a national chain or a locally owned one? If national, consider contacting their HQs about the matter. Maybe the management is (either deliberately or accidentally) misreading the rules and regs...?

At any rate, I'm sure the other members of this message board would love to know the name of this outfit in order for us to save our hard earned $$ and time.

Polly
Andrew (10/1986)
Morgan (1/2003)

August Mom
03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, it's a locally owned gym in Columbus, OH so there are no national HQs to contact.

jubilee
03-07-2003, 09:29 PM
You might try your local communinity college. Mine has an excellent swimming program for kids. And the child doesn't have to be enrolled in the college, either!

wdland45
03-11-2003, 04:52 PM
You might want to try your local YMCA. Their spring sessions are about to start next month (so they may not be full yet). Additionally, you don't have to be a YMCA member, you will just end up paying approx. $10-15 more per class then a member. They offer swim lessons for 6 months and up, and mommy and me water classes as well. My YMCA pool is close to home - in my town's high school pool (after school hours and weekends only). Best of all, baby does not have to pay for the class. HTH.
Danielle
Danielle

sweetbasil
03-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Yeah, that is completely ridiculous. No way I'd pay- just to show my objection to their stupid policy. The YMCA class was great for us last summer....

Let us know how this one ends up!