PDA

View Full Version : Motherhood Maternity's return policy - why?

kapow
03-11-2003, 03:07 PM
They do not take returns, ever. If you buy something, you can exchange it or take a merchandise credit within ten days. They even insist that you initial your receipt on the part where the return policy is listed, so that they can prove that you were aware of the policy when you made your purchase. Why is their policy so ridiculous? What about someone who buys a pregnant person a gift, and it won't fit? Or if they lose their baby? I don't know how the other stores in this chain work (Mimi, A Pea in the Pod) but I find it shocking enough to simply avoid this store. I feel bad for women in areas where Motherhood may be the only convenient store.

deenass
03-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Mimi and Pea in the Pod have the same policy (10 days, no returns, exchange or credit only). If you get a gift there is a little more leniency in the return time BUT you ahve to make sure taht they "mark up the tag" (they don't give gift receipts) so that the gift getter can bring it back.

For no hassle returns as gifts, try Kohl's, Target, Gap Maternity or Old Navy Maternity. This allows much more flexibility as you can return the item (for free at Gap and Old Navy online) and you have more than 10 days to do it.

bnme
03-11-2003, 04:32 PM
If you want to buy Motherhood clothes, try at Macys. The Macys in my area is a run by Motherhood but they have a more lenient return policy...If I remember correctly you can get a full refund within 30 days. I know, the policy sucks.

JMarie
03-11-2003, 07:23 PM
BRU's in the Chicago area also carry Motherhood clothes. I bought mine there so I could return them if necessary.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

August Mom
03-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Similarly, some Lazarus stores have Motherhood Maternity stores within them and have the Lazarus return policy (i.e. no time limit for returns). Perhaps it's a Federated department store thing? Also, some Marshall Fields stores have Mimi Maternity sections with a 90 day return policy.

ywolf
03-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Buy stuff online from the Gap. Order over $100 and it's free shipping, just return what you don't want. You can return it at any time.

Bloomingdales has belly basics. I bought some spring stuff and spring never came. 4 months later I returned them. There are so many options these days.

I would never shop in a place like Motherhood and Mimi. The major problem with pregnancy clothes is you don't know what size you are going to become in a few months so they need to be more flexible.

Rachels
03-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Yep, steer clear. There are much better options! The GAP is great because you can order online and then return stuff to any GAP store.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
03-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Yep, it's a pretty ridiculous policy. I knew someone who asked why they had that policy - the response was that all maternity stores had that policy. DUH - they own all of the maternity stores (at least the chains - they've bought out all of their competitors)!

And the few Motherhood items I had were only of marginal quality. Heck, I did better at Sears - even though I usually hate shopping there.

I agree - go for the Gap (can return to the store, or they give you a postage-paid return label) or splurge and try the Lands End stuff (and let us know how you like it)!

kapow
03-13-2003, 11:37 AM
To make a long story short, I only bought a couple of shirts and a pair of pants at Motherhood because I was out of town on business and the airline "delayed delivery" of my luggage. I bought a few things just to be safe, which means of course I got my luggage late that night. So I took the things back and that's when I realized I hadn't paid close attention to the return policy. I'm sure the sales clerk said "Exchanges only in ten days" but I heard "Returns and exchanges in ten days." So I have a nice credit to use. I agree that the stuff is marginal quality; I had picked out a few Mimi shirts in any case.

I agree wholeheartedly with Old Navy and Gap - and I'm lucky enough to be in Chicago where both downtown stores have recently stocked maternity on the shelves. And if I need something else nicer, I'll either to go Marshall Fields which carries nice things or a consignment shop in my neighborhood. I looked in a Motherhood early on in my pregnancy and realized that it would take some digging to find quality items and I didn't intend to shop there again.

I'm sure I will use up my credit, because I've outgrown the few Old Navy shirts I did buy. I've gone up a maternity size. Eeek! And I'm only at 5.5 months! :)

SASM
03-15-2003, 12:04 AM
Motherhood is HORRIBLE for sizing, too. As someone mentioned, you never know what size you will be a few months down the road. The MAIN problem, in my opinion, is their quality ~ the clothes run small, they shrink even if you wash them in cold water and air dry, plus they fall apart (not meant for long term use ~ i.e., PAST 4-5 MONTHS of usage).

Gap is GREAT not only for their return policy (you can return items months after the purchase date), but also for their sizing and quality. It is "Gap" quality, not skimped, and most items run true to size, maybe even a little larger. :-)

C99
03-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Fields carries Mimi Maternity at the State St. store -- do they carry other brands as well?

beckyr88
03-20-2003, 01:06 AM
I don't think so...I think State St. Fields just has Mimi. And beware that other Fields stores do not have maternity--at least neither Woodfield, Water Tower nor Old Orchard has maternity...(I did a lot of looking while pg...)

good luck.

Becky
mama to Stella 2-21-03

C99
03-20-2003, 06:37 PM
yeah, neither do Oakbrook and Fox Valley.

Wheelsmck66
04-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Yes, I agree. Motherhood Maternity has a very bad return policy. Not only that but their clothes aren't very good quality.
I got some things from there and they began to fall apart after the first wash. My best clothes have come from Old Navy.com and Gap.com. In my area you can't buy maternity clothes from old navy and gap stores but if you get their maternity clothes on line and find you have a problem with them you can take them back to the regular retail stores...no questions asked. I've also had good luck with Target.

KMK

Bearhut
05-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi -

This is my first post. I'm actually a memeber of a pregnancy loss group and have heard through others that returns at Motherhood, Mimi's and A Pea in the Pod are possible if you lose the baby. I'm not sure what/if any "proof" you must have, but if you lose a pregnancy (and can stand to walk through the doors of a maternity store), it's worth a try.

Good luck with the shopping.

Heather

August Mom
05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Welcome, Heather. I'm so sorry for your loss. If there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know.

Rachels
05-08-2003, 07:50 AM
Just wanted to second that. We're glad you're here and would love to support you any way we can.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Bearhut
05-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the support. Actually we've lost four, including this little one's twin, so it's been a difficult few years. Thankfully, we are firmly into second tri-mester and are hoping for better results.

It's really strange to start to shop for cribs and the like.

Heather

Joyce6830
06-05-2003, 11:29 PM
The last poster is correct. If you lose the baby they will take the clothes back. I don't think you have to take them any "proof". I guess they think if you go in there and tell them that then it must be true. It would take a pretty low person to go in and lie about that!

There return policy is the way it is because they had lots of people buying clothes, wearing them, leaving the tags on and then returning them. Like if you need a nice dress for one occassion, people would just wear it with the tag on somehow and then return it when they were finished with it.

jojo2324
06-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Heather, I am so sorry for your loss. Know that you and your little one are in my thoughts. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.