PDA

View Full Version : Nothing good happens after midnight....

sweetbasil
03-13-2003, 09:56 AM
This is the season for male Mockingbirds to set up their nests and then start singing their mating songs to attract a "woman" have some eggs, and start a little family. All well and good until the LOUDEST bird on the continent picks the tree just outside OUR bedroom window. Oh, and did I mention he makes his call at night? Starts at 11:30pm, goes until 4:30am, then takes a break and resumes again at 7:30 am.

We’d love to do something drastic to get rid of it, but there’s the whole state bird thing it’s got going for it. Last night at 11:30, I threw a loquat (off our other loquat tree) at it, but it just moved to another tree. Imagine the poor neighbors, if they were unfortunate enough to see me, this big-momma pregnant lady, in the backyard, chunking loquats at a tree while wearing a little purple nighty (me in the nighty- not the bird)! Probably everybody on the block is still in a closet, rocking in fetal position.

Anyway, hopefully some sweet little female bird will feel sorry for the guy soon, fly into his nest, have some babies for him in 4-6 weeks, and he'll shut up. Maybe once he's got his woman, he'll stop romancing her with song so we can sleep! Then, though, we'll have a whole brood of baby mockingbirds to listen to...they'd better not be the aggressive dive-bombing kind who try to attack the dog (or, worse yet, DS), or I WILL get violent!

Thanks for listening to the rant. Oh, and if there are any ornithologists out there, I'd love some help :)

kapow
03-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Bwahahaha! What an image I have in my head. It could be worse! You could have cats in heat, what a racket they make.

My grandfather used to scare birds out of his fruit trees with rubber snakes. Perhaps you could convince someone to climb up a ladder for you?

cara1
03-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Your state bird, huh? I didn't realize you were from Mississippi...

sweetbasil
03-13-2003, 04:30 PM
No, I'm in Texas....I guess it's a pretty popular bird or something, but NOT at OUR house! :)