PDA

View Full Version : USA Baby in Charlotte, NC

MegND95
03-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Very poor customer service! I went to this store earlier this week on a very rainy morning. I dragged both my kids, because I am looking into a new carseat for ds. The store had an incredible selection of high end merchandise, especially Britax carseats, which is one of the brands I am considering. Mind, I had two small kids with me, and while I was struggling with HUGE carseats, attempting to get them off display walls, and test them on my kids, neither of the two store employees who walked past me AT LEAST a dozen times offered to help!!!! I was not planning to buy that day, so I did not ask for help, however, did not feel I should either. Terrible way to conduct business, especially when I am considering spending some serious cash to upgrade ds's seat. When I decide what to get, you can be certain I will not go there!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-22-2003, 02:38 PM
We have had similar problems with the USA Baby in Brewster NY. That was the first place we went when we started shopping and after one experience we decided we would never go back. All the money we have spent since then and not one penny of it at USA Baby.

This seems to be a common theme with USA Baby across the nation.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21

MartiesMom2B
03-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately Karen is right. I had posted earlier about my problems with the store in Cary, NC. It all worked out but it still was a major PIA. I would suggest to other parents to avoid the aggravation and start off at another store. Plus I don't think their selection is all that great. Yes they do have the higher end stuff, but I'm sure that there are other stores my customer friendly that will have the same products.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

stillplayswithbarbies
03-23-2003, 12:10 AM
When I told the manager that he had just lost a customer and that I would be taking my business elsewhere, and that we had just started shopping for baby stuff, he replied "you won't find the things we carry for the same price anywhere else". I replied "you are right, I'll find it elsewhere for much less".

Then we left.

At first I was sad because that was the only place I had seen the Bertini stroller we wanted (for $400!). I was so happy to find it for half that from a dealer on eBay. And the plush stars that hang from the ceiling that I so wanted for the nursery, they wanted $16.99 for and I found them at a little baby boutique in my small town for $9.99. I even found the same celestial print that they had for $50 on eBay for $10 and I just have to frame it.

I wonder why they are all the same all over the country? And then there was the person who showed up on these boards to spam about how they carry whatever was being talked about in the threads. Strange way to do business.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21

jmofarrill
03-23-2003, 12:45 PM
The USA Baby in Hollywood, FL, is not much better, either. I wish my husband and I had read about all the customer dissatisfaction with the chain before we ordered our furniture from there. We did order a crib and a combo-dresser with hutch at "sale" prices, which brought the total cost to the amount we were willing to spend for these items. However, within a couple of weeks, we returned during another sale to find the new "sale" prices even lower than what we paid. We asked for a price adjustment and were told that if we went that route, our order would be cancelled, we would have to pay a restocking fee, and it would add 8-12 weeks to our delivery time-frame. What a crock. Why would we have to pay a restocking fee on a crib and hutch that weren't even in stock? We had just been told that the dresser had been delivered and we could take it home; the salesperson couldn't tell us what would happend to the dresser that was already at the store if we opted for the adjustment. I suppose in his mind it just didn't exist. To avoid a big argument, my husband and I just decided to keep with our original order and prices especially since I'm 6 weeks from my due date, which is what I'm sure the store was trying to get us to do. We returned the next day to pick up the dresser. Of course, it took half an hour for them to realize that the dresser they had in stock was not the correct finish. So they offered us the floor model or told us we could wait another week because the manager knew the correct dresser was being shipped from the manufacturer the next day. We opted to wait. This was last week, so we are going back today to pick up the furniture. I really, really hope it's in, the correct style/finish, and it isn't damaged.

As for price gouging, I have noticed it on several of their items. I can pick up mattresses at Baby Love in Sunrise, FL, for around $100 less than at USA Baby. A toy chest I'm interested in was marked $220 regular/$200 sale price at USA Baby, but regular price at Baby Love was $190. My husband and I are in agreement that if we have another child and need to purchase baby items, we are staying far and away from USA Baby.

Oh, it felt good to get that off my back!

flagger
04-12-2003, 07:33 PM
As many of you have been following my saga with the crib, you probably know it came from USA Baby in Charlotte.

They called on Thursday to advise that the headboard had finally come in 10 weeks after I reported the problem. Some of you may remember that I posted that they had put in writing that they would deliver the new piece, install it and take the old one away. (I never kept a copy of it though).

Laura was so miffed that we went out today to pick it up and it was still in the box from Sorrelle. They hadn't even bother to open it to inspect that it was not defective as well. :( Then as we were leaving the salesperson said "Do you have the other piece?" I said "Nope." I wanted to say if you want it, come and get it. However Ms. Flagger who is far less confrontational than I am said we would bring it back after we have examined it and installed it.

We got it home and all is well and we had to go to the airport and had lunch over by USA Baby this afternoon. We returned the piece with nary a word, but we will NEVER give them one more cent of our business. As evidenced by posts in this thread, others won't be any time soon as well. They are overpriced and very un-customer friendly.

The good note to all of this is I got my new headboard and it is perfectly fine and that is one less thing over our heads.

LD92599
04-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Just any FYI when we've been faced with finding lower prices after already buying something...not sure how you paid of course, but if you paid with an Amex card (and I'm sure the others!) there's a service where they will refund you the difference between the lower price you find and what you paid. We have used this service SEVERAL times and even use internet stores for matching. You may be able to go that route.

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

August Mom
04-14-2003, 08:53 PM
What do you have to do to use this service with AMEX? Is the program called something in particular? I was not aware of it but it sounds great.

LD92599
04-14-2003, 10:01 PM
We usually just call up their 800# and explain that we found a lower price...(price match policy or something simliar). They ask you to fax a copy of the ad (or printout), your original receipt, etc.

We've been very successful at price matching...first with Sears (but now they don't match Internet the way they used to) and now w/ Amex. For example....Sears had the digital camera we wanted for $999...we found it online for $599....but there was no way I was ordering it online from some Joe-Shmo retailer..Sears matched it!

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003