PDA

View Full Version : Oh NO - she's learned the word "NO!"

mamahill
03-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm torn between laughing and not. I was really hoping that this would not be one of her first words. I don't think that we use it that much, but now I'm being extra aware. Ugh. Lately if I'm feeding her stuff and she decides she doesn't like it, she will quite clearly begin waving her arms at the spoon and saying, "No!" It began as "Oh" but she has quickly learned the "n" sound. Then last night, I was watching the beginning of the Miss USA pageant (ok, guilty admission here, I love laughing at that stuff), and as the girls were walking out, Joel walks into the room and starts saying, "No. No. Maybe. No. No..." for potential winners. And all of sudden he stops because Ainsleigh is standing there saying, "No. No. No. No..." at the tv. And with that we turned it off and got out her Baby Dictionary for better visual stimulation. Haha. Anyway, not so much a b!tch, but a lament that my child has learned the dreaded word...

cara1
03-25-2003, 04:16 PM
LOL! Is that her first word? My DS (13 mos) still says no words, but he's been shaking his head no for months. Sometimes he means "no", sometimes it's just for fun. Sometimes he shakes it so hard it looks like it might come off!

nigele
03-25-2003, 04:38 PM
NO Way! Hee, hee. Sorry - looks like you are going to have that word thrown back at you by Ainsleigh constantly now.

Rachels
03-25-2003, 05:21 PM
LOL!!! Abby doesn't say no yet, but she growls and vigorously shakes her head. If I misinterpret, she spits. A lot.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
03-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Spits? Eeek. Ainsleigh growls. It's hilarious. She especially growls at the cats because she can't figure out why they don't want her to pull their fur...

I figured out how she learned the word this morning. I was feeding her breakfast (oatmeal) and one of my cats (who LOVES her cereal -- my cats are strange) was sniffing around and trying to sneak a lick or something. So I said, "NO!" and right away Ainsleigh leans forward, sticks her arm out and says, "NO!" My eyes got big as I realized what just happened. And then I laughed. So of course she continued to do it.

Then in the car she was playing and all of a sudden starts saying, "No... No... No..." So I say it back, and here we are repeating it. So I decided that we're going to work on "Hello." Her first word was "good" and she knows "bye bye" (which comes out ba-ba), "dada" (no mama:( yet), and "this" (which comes out "ziss" when she's holding something out to us. I always ask, "Do you want this?" when finding a toy for her, so I guess that's where she got it).

It's exciting to hear her learning new words, but I just don't know about "No"... Ah well, I'm not surprised if she's stubborn like her mama...

Annette_C
03-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Sarah,
Isn't it funny how quickly they learn the words you DON'T want them to pick up?!? LOL:)
We're going through something similar with Sabrina. When she tries to put things in her mouth that she shouldn't (mostly her shoes), I tell her not to because it's "Cacca" (pron. kahkkah, italian expression for dirty). So, now, before putting anything in her mouth, she looks at me and says "cacca". The funny part is that she associates it mostly with shoes so when we went to the mall this past weekend and walked into a shoe store, she looked around and said "cacca"! DH and I started laughing out loud!!
And, don't feel too bad about Ainsleigh not saying mama yet. Sabrina said dada at 6 months and says daddy now; she also says soso (italian for sis), says nono and nona (italian for grandpa and grandma), but NO mama! What's up with that?!?:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Rachels
03-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Yep. Spits. Who knows how she figured out spitting as a show of disapproval?! That's not something we've modeled! But there's no mistaking when she's displeased. She sometimes sits in her carseat and spits when she gets bored. It's hilarious, actually, but I try to laugh as quietly as possible.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

newbelly2002
03-26-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm giggling out loud trying to imagine that sweet little face spitting like a viper.

It's so hard not to laugh when they do the queerest things. A few weeks ago I tried giving Dante a pacifier(he doesn't like them although we have about a thousand from when we went through our "he just needs the *right* pacifier" stage) while he was lying on his belly on his playrug. I put the binkie into his open mouth and Dante immediately puffed out his cheeks and spit it, cannon style, across the room. What else could I do, but "reload"?!

We went through at least 10 pacifiers before he got bored. Meanwhile, I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurt. And because I laughed, he now thinks it's funny to try this in crowded stores, inevitably boffing some old, crabby lady on the arm or tush. (well, I still find it hysterical, but I think I'm supposed to be an adult about it.)

Paula

brubeck
03-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Next you have to teach her yes. When she says no, you make a funny face and nod your head exaggeratedly and say, "Yes!". My daughter loved this and we would play the yes/no game for ages. It worked especially well at mealtimes when she didn't want what wsa offered.

It took my daughter FOREVER to say mama. I think it's because I spend a lot of time with her and I don't refer to myself in the third person so she didn't hear the word so much. Eventually I took to showing her photos and pointing myself as mama. She took awhile, but it did come.

Shirale
03-26-2003, 11:21 PM
I am totally laughing!!! Unfortunately Amira learned "no" pretty early...when she would do something she knew she wasn't supposed to she would look at me and say "no no no" oh well!!! And she spoke very early but would not at all say "mommy," she said Abba (daddy) at 7 months, and only recently started actually calling me Mommy (she is 15 months!) she even said her own name (calls herself Amiya), and her friends names before Mommy...what is up with that? No, I am not feeling at all put out b/c of that...not at all....I also learned that I have to watch what i say and how I say things- when we were moving someone accidently dropped a box hat had some china in it and at the same time two friends and I said- oh shoot, and Amira looked up and said "oh Shoot" well- at least it wasn't something worse!!!!

twins r fun
03-28-2003, 01:02 AM
When the teachers were here writing up our IFSP so that Jacob and Caleb could get speech services, they asked me what my goals were. I told them a few real ones and then jokingly added that I would like them to say mama (they're 17 months!!). Well they actually wrote that up on this official document! So now it's written in stone-they'll say it soon right?! I actually agree with whoever said it's because I'm always around and don't refer to myself in the third person. They never hear "Here comes mommy" or "Where's mommy?" like they do with the word Daddy.

And I am amazed at how many words all these GIRLS know!

Nicole