PDA

View Full Version : I'm barely surviving.

Rachels
03-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Abigail has an ear infection and we're both on antibiotics (mine are unrelated), and she isn't sleeping AT ALL. Her longest stretch in the past five nights has been an hour, and she isn't napping, and I feel like I'm dying. She clearly gets uncomfortable when she's lying down. She clutches her ear, gets congested, holds her breath, then gasps and cries and wakes up. Or if she doesn't wake up, she whimpers and thrashes and wakes ME up. Last night we were up four times before midnight, at which point we were awake for a solid two hours, then she woke up eight or nine times again before morning. I'm in a state of barely controlled panic.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
03-30-2003, 11:29 AM
You poor things! Is there some way you can elevate her when she sleeps? That may help her sleep longer (I know it helps me to be elevated when I have a cold).

In addition to the antibiotics, are you giving her anything for the congestion? Infant Robitussin does wonders for Sarah when she has a cold. Here's some info: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089503.asp

Hang in there!!!

Karenn
03-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Rachel,
I'm so sorry! Colin had an ear infection a few weeks ago and we were all miserable. I think you probably already know this (mostly because I think it's entirely possible that I learned this from one of your posts), but I'm going to tell you anyway just in case, because I really wish I had known a little earlier in the ear infection game: The antibiotics might make her poop runny, which in turn, is likely to give her a horrible, yucky, yeast rash. If you put on some sort of diaper cream early, thick and regularly, it might help in that department. For us, it got to the point where the diaper rash was as distressing as the ear infection and I'd hate for you to have to add that to everything else. I hope you're both feeling better soon!

nathansmom
03-30-2003, 04:36 PM
I hope Abby and you start to feel better soon.

atlbaby
03-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Oh, poor baby (and mommy!) Hopefully, the antibiotics will help her soon. Trying to keep her upright is a good idea, our ped recommended that when Arielle had a long string of ear infections in the Fall. She has a cold now, (and the diarrhea/diaper rash that seems to come with every illness for some reason) and I've been giving her Tyelenol plus Cold. It really helps get her comfortable enough to get some sleep (until it wears off). Plus I don't have to struggle to make her stay still for both syringes of Tylenol (or Motrin) and a decongestant.

I'm not sure if Abigail has enough congestion from her ear infection that you'd want to use a "cold" medicine, but it does work. I've also seen Motrin Cold too.

Hope you all get some relief soon!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

nigele
03-30-2003, 05:30 PM
So sorry to hear about poor little Abigail feeling so bad. I hope the two of you get some rest and get better soon.

Rachels
03-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Thank you all! I zoomed out this morning and got Robitussin, and she did take a nap. She still woke frequently, but stayed basically down for several hours, which is major progress. And I appreciate the diaper rash reminders!!! She's had diarrhea 4 times today. :( I;m keeping her slathered and feeding her baby acidophilus and hoping we'll ward off the worst of it. It's sad to see her so miserable and SO hard to hang in there when I'm so exhausted!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Karenn
03-30-2003, 09:16 PM
I'm glad she got some sleep! Hopefully soon you will too.

So how does baby acidophilus help and where can I find it? Right after I posted my reply to you, Colin came down with a fever, so I think we may be joining your sleepless ear infection club. :( Hopefully we can at least keep a handle on the diaper rash this time around!

KathyO
03-30-2003, 11:36 PM
It's not fair to ask you a question like this when you're so tired your eyes are crossing, but do you know anything about the individual species of lactobacilli? I have read a fair bit about probiotics and am convinced that they're a Good Thing, but don't know what to do when I go to the store and have to choose between L. Rhamnosus and L.acidophilus and L. casei and all the others...

Very glad to hear that the Robitussin is helping... I am wishing you both lots of sleep tonight, and a better day tomorrow! (I have come to believe in the Goddess of Sleep... heaven knows I have prayed to her a few times over my baby's crib!)

Very best wishes,

Kate

Annette_C
03-31-2003, 12:43 AM
Rachel,
So sorry to hear about Abigail and you are not feeling well.
I hope you both get better soon and get plenty of rest.
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

mcmorfit
03-31-2003, 09:44 AM
Rachel,

I hope Abigail is getting better and you have been able to study the inside of your eyelids.

newbelly2002
03-31-2003, 11:40 AM
You poor dear. Sorry I haven't responded earlier, not much computer time around here of late. Instead it's been a whole lot of upset wakefulness. After months of saying "he's teething," I can finally FEEL teeth on the bottom. And clearly, from the amount of screaming and sleepless nights (and mornings), so can Dante.

I do hope the medicine/time has helped, and that both you and Abby are feeling--and sleeping--better real soon.

Yawn.
Paula

josephsmom
03-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Rachel, you've probably already tried these things, but, FWIW...It might help for her to fall asleep in an upright position. If she is able to fall asleep in a swing, perhaps you could allow her to fall asleep there, and then carefully transfer her to her crib. Another thing that helps when Joseph is congested is to hold him vertically in my lap, with his head on my shoulder, and rock in the glider until he falls asleep, then VERY carefully transfer him to the crib. Sometimes it works better to stand and sway than to sit and rock. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

Rachels
03-31-2003, 06:17 PM
Karen, acidophilus helps replace the normal, necessary intestinal flora that antibiotics wipe out. You can get it at health food stores. Find one that's refrigerated. Kate, I don't know much about the different strains. The one that was recommended for Abigail is an L. acidophilus / bifidus combo.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Kate888
03-31-2003, 07:43 PM
I hope Abigail and you feel better soon. Maya also came down with a stomach bug (a nasty one). So I'm joining you in the sleepless club.

Hang in there!!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

COElizabeth
04-01-2003, 10:30 AM
I suppose this varies child to child and case to case, but my sister's kids have always seemed dramatically better and in an almost normal mood within about 24 hours of starting antibiotics for ear infections (still congested, but happy). If Abigail has been taking them a few days and doesn't seem much better, I would revisit the doctor and see if they can see any improvement. If not, a different drug might be called for. I hope you are both able to get more sleep soon!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mamahill
04-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Oh my gosh - Rachel, I just saw this (desperately playing catch-up) and hope that you and Abby are feeling better. Ugh, that sounds horrible. You and Abby deserve a nice long stretch of no illnesses or allergies (food and otherwise!). Is there someone who can come over and watch Abby while you get some rest? Take care. Thinking of you and hoping you're better...