PDA

View Full Version : Babies R Us / amazon registry and generally -- just plain worth avoiding

zen_bliss
04-09-2003, 09:05 PM
i've come to the conclusion that Dumb and Dumber are in charge. first we had a huge problem with setting up the registry that the store and amazon spent over a week finger-pointing at each other rather than just fixing it. something so simple, made so time-consuming. don't say i wasn't warned... i saw the tales of people receiving gifts but no indication from whom and amazon not cooperating... i was informed, but oh, too optimistic!

now, we still haven't received a mattress a friend of the family ordered for us over a month ago. both i and the giver were treated so poorly by the local employees of our babies r us (on opposite coasts!). they actually hung up on her! me, they said they had it right there and would call me back, and never did. then when i followed up claimed to have no record on hand and furthermore that they never said they had any and that i was a big fat liar. (hey, ok, i am BIG but...). then told me i would have to fax a receipt and credit card statement to four different places and they would 'investigate' it. they've had her money for over a month, and i'm giving birth any day now. "hey, thanks for being so generous. i never got your gift, can i have your credit card statement?' that's fine etiquette!

i counsel anyone doing a registry to use www.whattoget.net or one of the other registries that allows you to pick and choose from any number of vendors and put those dollars to ethical companies and WAHMs. the 'convenience' of having it all in one place is no convenience at all, particularly since for the most part, they don't carry the better items we discuss on this board, anyway.

i am done with 'babies r an excuse for corporate incompetence and rudeness', period!

thank you for validating my grumpy rant by reading it. : )

rwd72
04-10-2003, 02:07 PM
That stinks! I am so sorry that happened to you. I have never heard of such a fiasco with either company. Good luck.
Renee

August Mom
04-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Wow. That's terrible. I'm sorry you are having such a problem. Maybe I was just lucky, but I didn't have any problems with my BRU registry.

angusmom
04-11-2003, 12:58 PM
My general opinion of Amazon is that their corporate slogan is:
"Strive to the biggest, not the best!"

Ti Lung
04-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear about this fiasco. We moms don't need any more hassles! I don't know if you live near a Buy Buy Baby but let me tell you, their service is unparalleled (for all the horror stories that I have heard about BRU that is why I don't go there even though it is near the Buy Buy Baby). All my friends and relatives who have purchased from BBB have ranted and raved about them. They update my registry on the web right away, and most times they follow up with a phone call too. They called me a couple of times when a registered item became unavailable. And the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. It's just a shame that they don't have that many retail locations. But, you can register through their website, particularly if you know exactly what you want.

Another plus about BBB: I did compare some prices between BBB and BRU, and let me tell you, BBB is cheaper on all counts. For instance, the Diaper Genie refill is $3.99 at BBB vs $4.50 or more at BRU. Fisher Price Soothing Dreams Monitor is $39.99 at BBB vs more at BRU.

Good Luck!

zen_bliss
04-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I wish we had a Buy Buy Baby nearby! unfortunately the BRU is about 30 min away. there is also a Baby Depot, but their draconian exchange/store credit policy is so terrible I just avoid them.

finally, i did go pick up my mattress Friday. A manager called and sighed, and said 'i don't even know where to begin or what to tell you about what happened, but anyway I personally tagged your mattress. we're sorry." she left that on my cel. then they had the person who was so awful to me call my home and leave a message and you could tell it just killed her to make the call.

when i picked it up, there was a big note in sharpie "Lost phone order". Finally!