PDA

View Full Version : Baby bloodtest woes

Rachels
04-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Abigail had to have a blood test today to screen for lead and anemia. We went to a pediatric lab, but it was horrible! They had real trouble finding a vein, had to stick her several times and then dig around with a needle for literally three or four minutes. She was inconsolable. She was nursing, but letting go to scream. My heart is still in a knot, even though we're home and she's snoozing peacefully. She is going to have bruises under those stupid little Batman bandaids.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

celfsh
04-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Oh, Rachel, I feel your pain! I had a similar experience when DD had to have blood drawn when she was just 3 weeks old. The technician tried for 15 minutes to find a vein and ended up pricking her MULTIPLE times. :( I felt awful and can only imagine how she must have felt. Poor thing, she screamed uncontrollably--it broke my heart! Truth be told, I don't know who cried more, me or her...I broke down once we finally got back to the car.

Anyway, so sorry you and Abigail had to go through that. I hope the results of her blood work come back okay. Keep us posted.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

nigele
04-11-2003, 12:43 PM
The poor little thing! I hope the two of you have a long day of snuggling and nursing.

divabell
04-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Rachel, I'm so sorry you both had to go through that! I hope the rest of your day is peaceful and comforting for you both.

--Lori R.
EDD 12/2/03

nitaghei
04-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Poor Abigail - and you! I'm so sorry - hope both of recover from the trauma!

Nita

sweetbasil
04-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Rachel,
I'm so sorry that happened to you two. Our ped wanted to draw 4 test tubes of blood on Kellen when he was 12m old, and I really thought I might die. He was crying, I was crying, the nurse even started crying and stopped after the third tube and said they'd have to work with what she'd drawn. While one of the most traumatic things he's probably been through, I'm sure he doesn't remember a bit of it...not that that helped at the time, but know that once your heart feels better, she'll probably be back to her sweet little self, with no memory of this crummy day for you two. Hope you have a good weekend and get to relax....

COElizabeth
04-11-2003, 04:04 PM
How awful! Now I am dreading our 9-month visit, because I know they will take blood for an anemia test then. Not lead, because we don't meet the criteria for testing, apparently (though I wouldn't mind having that done since we are in an inner-city neighborhood - but a new house). Anyway, I hope the tests go okay and that Abby isn't too sore. FWIW, I have had some pretty gross bruises from similar incidents, and they always looked MUCH worse than they felt. Were you able to get a "sample" for the other test?

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
04-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Ugh, yes. We raced over there at 2:30, where they asked me to scrape her diaper contents into a jar. Gaaaagggg. Then we hit horrible traffic and didn't get home until 5. Abby keeps shooting me looks like, "Are you crazy? This is NOT how we spend our days!" Anyway, they'll have test results for us on Monday, and there's a pharmacy in Charlotte that will take out of state prescriptions if she needs one. Her doc thinks it's something-- just not sure what.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
04-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Elizabeth,

We just had the anemia test and they did a finger prick. It wasn't that bad. Tom did cry but only minimally, so don't worry!

Annette_C
04-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Rachel,
You and Abigail get the prize for most patient-yet-have-been-put-through-h&!!-award!
Is it ever going to end for you two? I feel for you from the bottom of my heart! After seeing what you and Abby have been going through and yet have remained so strong and determined, I don't think I'll complain about little things anymore!
Good luck with everything and try to have a good time while you're away.

Afterthought: do all babies need to have an anemia test at 9 mo.? Sabrina's 9 mo. check-up is on Monday but nobody told me about a blood test!! (Did I ever mention the fact that I easily faint when one of my close family members is in pain/suffering?!? Better bring the smelling salts!)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

jojo2324
04-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Oh no!! Poor Abby! And Rachel! We just had to go in for lead/anemia testing, but Gannon only required a finger prick...I wonder why some states require drawn blood from a NINE-MONTH OLD???? It just doesn't make any sense!

I hope you have both recovered and the Batman bandaids come off easily...:)

Rachels
04-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Annette! Your comments are so sweet, and I so value your support, but feel free to complain away ANYTIME! We've had our bumps in the road, but they're not so much harder or easier than anyone else's. They're just different bumps. Having a baby is wonderful and exhausting and amazing and terrifying. I appreciate being able to post no matter where we've landed that day. You should do the same.

Thanks, everyone, for the support. Abigail does indeed have bruises, but she doesn't seem to notice. We're waiting for those lab results to come back to figure out what's up with her belly!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02