PDA

View Full Version : Men are such WIMPS!!!

twins r fun
04-17-2003, 02:50 PM
I shouldn't say that-no offense to Flagger, Dan, and any other men reading this. I should clarify and say my DH is such a wimp! Poor thing has a cold and is pretty much out of comission. Now, on Sunday, I had a stomach virus. DH was out playing golf when I started feeling sick. So for about 4 hours I gritted my teeth, fought off the nausea and managed to change 2 poopy diapers, serve a snack, and halfheartedly play with the boys. To his credit, when he got home he took over and I spent the rest of the day and night in bed or in the bathroom. Okay, so now he has a cold (I should add that he is a teacher and on spring break). Last night I told him one of the things I want to do while he's home is go shopping for clothes for myself. He tells me that he really can't take care of the boys by himself in the state he's in and can I wait until he's better. I'm sure I will, but are you kidding me? Did I not three days ago take care of our boys during a full fledged stomach virus? Not to mention, when I get a cold, nothing changes around here. I do all the normal stuff with the boys when I have a cold, not even halfheartedly. The only thing that might change is I go to bed earlier and leave a few things around the house not done. I'm sorry, I just have no pity for him! Anyone else in the same boat? And what do I do to avoid raising my boys to turn out like their daddy?!

Nicole

mamahill
04-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Oh Nicole - I hear you sister! Please please PLEASE say you're still going to have some YOU time. Just say, "A few hours won't kill you, and I REALLY need to do this. For my sanity." DH and I have very different approaches to being sick - he lays in bed ALL day, and I lay down and then vacuum, lay down and then clean toilets, lay down and then clean the kitchen, etc. Of course, DH is generally only sick for a day and I end up feeling lousy for a week, so maybe he's on to something, but STILL! The world doesn't sit around while I decide to take a day off! There are things to be done. Anyway, I hope you still go out and get some clothes for you. I look forward to you posting your purchases... ;)

twins r fun
04-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Thanks Sarah! If I have to hear him complain about how he feels like he's going to die one more time, I'm going to make that feeling a reality!!! Honestly, it is all I can do to not roll my eyes and tell him what I think of him every time he sniffles!

On the upside, he is off of work until Tuesday and I think not even he can drag a cold out for 6 days, so I think I should be able to get some shopping in. On the downside, he's off of work until Tuesday and I don't think I can take even one more day of this whining! I think the boys and I will have to go visit Grandma tomorrow! You know, the woman who has cancer (treatable), is undergoing chemo, and NEVER complains!

Nicole

momathome
04-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Ugh!!! This is me and my dh entirely! Last winter, I had a terrible stomach virus and I was home with Kasey, who was 12 months old then. I would drag myself to the bathroom, throw-up, and then crawl back to the couch, pick-up the screaming baby, nurse her, and then run to the bathroom again. That night Liza, then 4, threw up all over the carpet and my dh asked if I wouldn't mind taking her upstairs and giving her a bath, seeing as he had to clean the carpet and all. SURE, no problem, feeling just GREAT today! I layed on the floor of the bathroom while she was taking her bath and prayed I wasn't going to die. The next day, when dh got the same bug,he only left his bed to go to the bathroom. Meanwhile, I was still sick and had the pleasure of taking care of both kids by myself. Oh, joy.
Get out and go shopping!!!!!
-Lauren

ddmarsh
04-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Honestly I think it's a practice thing - he's never done that and therefore can't imagine doing so, etc. Therefore the only solution is to throw him in there and let him have a go at it! DH has gotten better over the years but the times I wanted to scream the most were when I would say "could you take childX with you to placeX" and he would say "oh I can't take childx there." My response was always "do you want a list of the places I take at least one child, often several?" Eventually he got the hint and got lots of practice :).

Good luck in training him and I hope you feel better:)))

Debbie

emilyf
04-18-2003, 08:58 AM
I am so with you Nicole-dh is a total wimp when sick, and while he adores Charlie and is a great dad, he always acts like he's doing me a favor when I leave them alone. I mean, he's his kid too right? Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

nitaghei
04-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Me too!! I still work, take care of the baby and the dogs, and cook dinner, even with a migraine. DH has a tiny little headache (the kind a single tylenol can fix) and it's the end of the world!!

If I have the flu, and he has a cold - guess who stays moaning in bed? And who takes care of the baby, the dogs and the house?

What is it with men?!

I would love to hear of tips to prevent DS being like his daddy, in this particular way.

Have to say, my father is the one exception to this rule that I know - he never complains when he's sick, (he wanted to be back doing all his normal stuff the day after a cardiac procedure)!! And he has unending patience with DS, and never considers time spent with DS an obligation.

Nita

egoldber
04-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Don't even get me started on this!! DH is such a baby when he is sick. But when I'm sick (and it almost invariably happens when he is gone on a 3 week business trip to Japan) I still have to take of Sarah, the dog, the cats, the house, etc. If he has the sniffles, he has to curl up in bed and moan away. GRRRR!!!!!

trumansmom
04-18-2003, 02:49 PM
My biggest pet peeve in my household is that when DH is alone with Truman he is "babysitting". But when I'm alone with Truman, well, I'm his mom! I don't really understand how that works...

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

josephsmom
04-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Yeah, yeah, this happens in my house too. Sick daddy is incapacitated, but sick mommy is still mommy. And even when DH is NOT sick, he's off duty at night. He'll lay in bed and cover his ears when DS is crying. One night, he came to DS' bedroom when I'd already been there for about an hour. I thought he was going to offer to relieve me, or offer SOME kind of help, and he nastily asked if I'd mind keeping the door closed! And weekends! DH is soooo tired on the weekends that he will spend whole days laying comatose on the couch in front of the tv, while I run around doing everything. Men!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

gravymommy3
04-18-2003, 04:38 PM
OMG! Change the names, add a three yo to the mix, and that is the same scene that went down at my house! I wanted to kill mine!!! There is a reason that men don't have babies!

mama2be
04-20-2003, 08:37 AM
Nita,

Interesting what you say about your father...mine is the same way!!!
In fact when my midwife went down a bunch of family history questions while I was pregnant I couldn't answer them all because seriously neither of my parents complain about being ill-which I think makes them appear younger. I complain about every pain and so does my DH...I am tying to catch myself lately since making that remark to my midwife.

MartiesMom2B
04-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Just wanted to say that DH came in here while reading this and said "I better not do anything, I don't want to end up on these boards!" LOL.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mamahill
04-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Oh my gosh, GUESS who is in bed RIGHT now, not feeling well?!?! I'll give you a hint: my computer is NOT bedside.

Ah well, this should be interesting. I told him I was sorry he didn't feel "well" but that I have a lot of things to do today, so I'll be making noise. Ah, cookies are finished - gots to go get them out of the oven! (heehee, that will make him "feel" better in no time, I'm sure!)

nigele
04-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Sarah,

You have my sympathies - taking care of one baby is hard enough. Hee, hee.

I hope poor, sick Joel gets better soon!

dogmom
04-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I feel like I should say some men aren't wimps all the time. My husband was getting a cold at the beginning of a work week and he came home and didn't want to hold the baby or help me because he didn't want to make the baby sick. I pointed out that I was going to have to take care of our DS if I was sick, and I didn't want to be doing all the care for 24 hours a day for a week then get sick and still care for him. I assured him if he kept his hands washed that would protect the baby. He spent the next three days carrying around a bottle of hand sanitizer and helped out. Then Friday rolled around and I was supposed to go out for my first "girls night out" since the baby was born. I offered to cancel since he was sick, but he insisted I go because I "really needed some time out." He had a lousy evening, but he never complained. I suspect that it helps that he was raised for much of his life by a single mom.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

mama2be
04-25-2003, 11:20 PM
OH my!!! If this does not hit home right now...all last week I batteled a cold,sniffed, sneezed honked the whole week...now Steve has it and has diagnosed himself (NOT in the medical field) with SARS. Every hour he says as if it's his last words, "I think I have SARS"...all I can think is "Hmmm...you never even mentioned SARS when I was sick last week"..."But I'm more sick than you were" he says...HMMM....