PDA

View Full Version : carpel tunnel while pregnant

mombentley
04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
I am 30 wks pregnant and have been experiencing carpel tunnel symptoms in my right hand (dominant) and occasionally in my left hand. Symptoms are worse at night (pins and needles in finger tips) or when I use my hand for writing, chopping, etc. I have a wrist guard that helps a little but not great. I may try acupuncture after I speak with my Dr. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Kat

Karenn
04-29-2003, 12:20 PM
I had the same problem and it drove me crazy! A physical therapist I know suggested periodically opening and closing my hand, and moving my wrist around to get the blood flowing. It seemed to help a little. It was a banner day when I could actually hold my husband's hand again without my hand going numb!

mcmorfit
04-30-2003, 08:25 AM
Kat,

The same thing happened to me in my right hand, especially my index and thumb finger. I would recommend an accupuncturist if you get the approval from your doc. Mine cleared up probably six weeks after I delivered.

kapow
04-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Wow, the same exact thing has happened to me in the last two weeks. I didn't think it was carpal tunnel though, since I don't have pains in my wrist. I do have the pins & needles and I figured that I maybe have a pinched nerve, due to having to sleep on my side only (I miss sleeping on my back, waaah)

I see my doctor next week and plan to discuss it with her. I'm glad to hear that yours cleared up after birth; if mine does not, I'm going to check into other options. Do you suppose shopping will cure it? :)

mombentley
05-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Ok, so I went to my OB and a physical therapist yesterday to see what they had to say...

OB - "Not much you can do, a common symptom of pregnancy as a result of excess fluids and swelling. Continue using the wrist guard and stay in cooler temps - AC at work and at night while sleeping"

PT - "In addition to swelling, it's likely there is inflammation in the wrist, which can be minimized by icing the wrist. Try flexing wrist all the way back for relief - this opens up the 'tunnel'. Continue with wrist guard."

I plan to return to the PT for some "nerve glides" which I believe is just some basic manipulation of the neck and shoulder area connect to the right hand. I tried icing my wrist last night and this does help some. I've been sleeping with the window open at night since it's still pretty chilly at night in Boston...

If anyone finds any other non-drug remedies, please post!
Kat

kapow
05-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks for sharing your doctor's diagnosis. I find it so very strange that there are all these miscellaneous side effects of pregnancy that no one ever seems to talk about (a nine-month-long stuffy nose, anyone?) I've been getting a prenatal massage every two weeks, so I guess I'll mention it to the massage therapist. I'm sure there is a method for this type of problem.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Yes! I had the 9 month long stuffy nose! I asked about taking decongestant during labor so I could breathe and the midwife said I wouldn't need it, that it would clear up during labor. Nope!

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

millerpjm
05-10-2003, 07:38 AM
The only other suggestion I have is grin and bear it. I had carpal tunnel while pregnant, and I work on the computer all day! I had wrist wraps, which my OB said to wear all the time... even sleeping. It helped, but you probably will not get true relief until after the baby is born. It does go away in a few weeks after the baby is born.. but it sucks. I had people asking me all the time about my wrist wraps... and half of them didn't sound like they believed me when I said it was due to the pregnancy! Did they think I was making it up????

Jen
mom to darling 3 month old Tommy

mspacman2
05-10-2003, 09:24 PM
I had it too, and no one warned me it was coming. By month 7 I was almost unable to write - DH had to pay the bills (write the checks) for the last few months, and my thank-you cards looked like a 3-year-old wrote them. It also stuck around for more than a month post-partum. I wore a wrist brace all the time (only way I could hold a fork) and I too got funny looks.

It was the worst side effect, until PUPPPS came along. Remember the old Johnny Carson curse "may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your underwear" or something like that - that's PUPPPS. Pray you are not one of the unlucky 1% who get it. And no one warned me about THAT, either!!

mombentley
05-13-2003, 01:28 PM
It helps knowing there are others out there who survived! I've got 7 weeks left and then however long it lasts post partum. I had to get a second wrist brace for my left hand, which I wear sleeping. The right hand has the brace all day/night. I've also found that sleeping with my head and shoulders/chest elevated helps a lot. So now I've got a body pillow along the side, about 5 under my head, and two wrist braces! My husband took a photo the other night... I guess I'll look back and laugh someday!

And yes, thank you notes are nearly impossible to write... just a few at a time!

Kat