PDA

View Full Version : WHAT was she thinking??

C99
05-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Subtitle: another crazy mother-in-law story
So my husband and I (and Nate) went out to lunch today with my in-laws. They picked the original place, which was a dark, dank and smoky bar that I didn't feel comfy leaving Nate in for over an hour, so when I got there and discovered it was a dark, dank and smoky bar, I called my ILs and suggested an alternate. My ILs hadn't yet parked, so they just met us by our car. As we were walking back to our car, my MIL suggested that we just get in their car and go to the other cafe with them. My husband pointed out that we didn't have the carseat with us and for where we were going, it made just as much sense to take 2 cars. So we're discussing where this second cafe is and how to get there, etc., when my MIL suggests AGAIN that since it's so close, we just hop in the car with them, without the carseat.

Ummmm, NO! I don't care if the new place is one block away, I'm not putting my 3-month-old in the car without a carseat. Not only is it dangerous, it's illegal! It's not like she's not used to "modern" childrearing -- Nathaniel is her third grandchild in 4 years and my SIL put my MIL through a grandparenting class.

Just needed to vent!

Later, I was yawning and my MIL starts telling me that I will get more sleep if I let Nate cry-it-out in his crib instead of sleeping with us. Um, we ALL sleep better when Nate sleeps with us so why would I switch? I'm tired because he wakes up at 6 a.m., not b/c he sleeps with us!

MartiesMom2B
05-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Caroline:

Vent away. MIL is now on a campaign for us to put Martie in the crib. She calls just about every day to see if DH has stuck a rocking chair in the nursery so I can nurse Martie in there and put her in the crib. The other day she told me about a Dear Abby where a child was suffocated. She said "I know you do it because it's easier" (in that tone that says you're lazy). I know one day I'll lose it and say "Up yours"

Don't switch! Do what you feel best.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

Edited to change punctuation. I was making a winking face instead of what I wanted.

momathome
05-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Sonia-
Jeez, your baby is barely a month old and MIL is alreay dictating where she should sleep!?!?! Liza slept on TOP of me for the first 6 weeks of her life and transitioned into her crib just fine. Do what feels right to you!
Caroline-
Dig in your heels on the carseat - if need be, gather all of the data you can on the importance of carseats and put it in your MIL's face!!!
My goodness, it IS the LAW!!!
I, too, have a crazy, scary MIL (as in, mirrors on her bedroom ceiling and cruel comments about my dd Kasey - ugh!!!). I guess we're all in this together!
-Lauren

etwahl
05-05-2003, 03:15 PM
what is it with mil's????? mine definitely drives me crazy. she recently sent my friend an email saying that she wanted to know if her or any of my friends would suggest that it's time for me to stop breastfeeding....because I've had to go on a major elimination diet, and dd is so fussy, and having what seems to be reflux and allergy problems. She assumes formula will magically solve all our problems!!

WHAT THE F*** BUSINESS IS IT OF HERS????? I was furious to say the least :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

MartiesMom2B
05-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Tammy:

How dare your MIL stick her nose into your feeding decisions. I want you to know that I'm very proud of you to stick to your elimination diet and to stick with breastfeeding. You go girl!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

mama2be
05-05-2003, 06:20 PM
You are so right to stand by you guns mot accidnets happen in events such as you describe...leabing parking lots, entering parking lots and "just going around the corner"...

sweetbasil
05-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Sounds familiar...we're about to re-enter that territory again, though this time, I'm bound to be a little less cautious and more assertive to these "helpful" suggestions. I wonder if it's not just an effort to feel some sort of control over a situation that they're completely NOT in control of, you know?