PDA

View Full Version : This drives me crazy!!!

City Girl
05-15-2003, 01:49 PM
OK, I know I can't be the only one who feels this way, but I have to get it off my chest. I'm currently almost 37 weeks pregnant, due early June 2003, and one of my biggest peeves is turning out to be people who think that pregnancy is 10 months long!

It may feel that way sometimes, but depending whether you count from LMP or from Ovulation, pregnancy truly is only 9 months long, give or take 1 week.

The people who think it's 10 months seem to be reasoning that pregnancy is an estimated 40 weeks (true), and that there are 4 weeks to a month (false - except February), so therefore 40 divided by 4 is 10 months, which would be true if most months didn't have 30 or 31 days, which is more than 4 weeks. Ugh!

Anyway, I don't know why this bugs me so much, and I mean no offense to anyone who likes to think of pregnancy as 10 months, but thanks for letting me vent. :)

DDowning
05-15-2003, 03:35 PM
You're not the only one. I am due just a few days after you. The tradition started back in the early times when everything was counted in lunar months. For most pregnancy, it is 10 lunar months. Obviously we don't go by the lunar month calendar anymore but the "10 month thing stuck.

brubeck
05-15-2003, 04:35 PM
I just avoided this problem altogether: when people asked me how far along I was I always gave it in weeks. :-)

BTW, don't read the Vicki Iovine books, she's one of the 10 month gals. :-)

liya
05-15-2003, 07:10 PM
I hear ya!!!I was 41 wks 5/7 days when they induced my labor and everyone was making fun of me saying i was sometype of barn yard animal that lasted 10 months to give birth...some ppl are just imbecils, im inculiding most of the ppl in my family....i mean yuck how dare they look at me with those fish buck eyes and say"my gosh girl are you some type of cow or something your only supposed to be pregnant for 9 months".....HEEEELLLLOOOOOO idiot i have been lear how to count!!!!!.......anyhow keep your cool, i could never do it though im tooooooo hot headed......lol

Vajrastorm
05-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Hehe, I'm a 10 month gal, but only because I figure 10 months is worth more sympathy than 9 months ;)

Plus, calender months are so chaotic - 30 days here, 29 there - is that any way to count? Lol. 4 weeks to a month is so much tidier.

I have to say I haven't encountered other people IRL describing pregnancy as 10 months - I figured I was a stubborn weirdo for insisting on thinking of it as 10 months.

22tango
05-28-2003, 09:13 PM
While PG, I considered myself a 10 month girl, but then Karenna came 3 weeks early!! LOL!

Now, though, I do calendar months...not weeks. After 3 months (13 weeks) things just get complicated!! And all her PED appts, and milestones are often stated by month. I hate having to figure out how old an XX-week old baby really is!! UGH!

memedee
05-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Karenna sooooo beautiful!
I dont know what it really is but it sure feels like a year!