PDA

View Full Version : Braxton-Hicks (more whining than b@#$%ing)

sntm
05-26-2003, 07:10 PM
this is what happens when everyone you know assures you that you will go early. 2 weeks to go and having major BH all the time (they were about 10 minutes apart for over an hour this afternoon and went away.) I have them so often that I am convinced I will ignore them when they are real. this has been going on for 1 1/2 weeks now and just getting more intense.

I am ready for him to get out! Plus he keeps bumping up against my cervix which is the most painful part. And my feet are swollen and wearing TED hose all the time to prevent the swelling has led to my getting athlete's foot (which DH had to diagnose as I cannot see my feet and could not figure out why they were burning. i though i maxed out on peppermint foot lotion.) am also tired of night float.

i keep reading flagger's posts -- the thought of going even one day over my due date is so discouraging. i've sent DH out for primrose oil and am getting closer to breaking down and at least buying the castor oil. although everyone tells me that it is good that I am still working, that otherwise I would be going stir crazy at home, i think I would rather do that than go stir crazy at work for 80 hours a week!

i apologize for the pity party. jack just gave me a good nudge, so I assume he is apologizing too.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Rachels
05-26-2003, 08:10 PM
You're sooooo close! Rest all you can. Your body has hard work ahead, but you're almost there! Can't wait to hear!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

DDowning
05-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Shannon - Fellow Due Date Buddy, I'm right there with you! The only problem has been that this guy is a complete jokester. At 34 weeks, I was in the hospital and they had to stop the contractions with tributeline(sp?) which were coming about 5 minutes apart. At that point they were worried about ptl. Then last week, I started having really good contractions about 5 minutes apart during our CPR class. The class was three hours and by the time we were done, the contractions were 3 minutes apart and getting stronger. I went in for monitoring again and event though the contractions were consistentl and strong, they sent me home saying I'm not ready yet since I was only 1 cm dialated. Blah! I'm getting sooo impatient and this starting and stopping stuff is enough to drive you to drink! I know it won't be forever and that he will eventually get here soon but I wish it was sooner than later! Hang in there!!!!

sntm
05-26-2003, 11:09 PM
oooh, that's even worse! I haven't made it in to the hospital yet, but have on two occasions done the "should I call in to work?" thing. the 1 cm dilated is like a tease -- i've been like that for two weeks now.

if you ever want to commiserate, believe me this is all I think about now! email me!

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

newbelly2002
05-27-2003, 12:53 AM
Oh Shannon, I didn't realize that you were soooo close!!

Congrats and hang in there. Martha Jefferson will treat you right and I can't wait to hear the good news when it happens. Those last few weeks are killer. I'm thinking of you!

Paula,Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

mamahill
05-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Oh my gosh - I know you feel like you've been pregnant forever, but I remember when you weren't even trying to conceive yet, and it seems like not that long ago. Don't worry, soon enough you'll be looking at your baby wondering how time could by going so quickly. Hang in there, and in the meantime, eat an entire fresh pineapple. I heard the acid in fresh pineapple can speed things along. I don't know if it's true, but I used it as my excuse to eat my favorite fruit! Ate it Tuesday, was in real labor Saturday. I remember the weeks of BH and it was HORRIBLE. I think that was one reason I demanded we have one final act of Congress (much to DH's delight) and sure enough, a couple hours later I was checking into the hospital!

Good luck - you've done SO WELL!! Looking forward to hearing your news...

brubeck
05-27-2003, 07:09 PM
I am one of those who had so many Braxton Hicks I didn't realize I was in labor.

The good news is that it will end eventually. I know, I know, it's trite (it sounded trite to me when I was 38 weeks too) but it is true.

Good luck!

sntm
05-27-2003, 07:41 PM
I am buying pineapple tomorrow! And skipping conference in the AM to go home and seduce my husband before he sneaks off to the gym.

Y'all are wonderful. Realized horribly today that since we don't have internet at home, will be cut off from everyone until I can drag Jack out of the house! May need emergent internet hookup. I'll be calling Adelphia from the LDR room.

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

emilyr
05-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Oh, how I remember... I was due one year ago tomorrow. I had the same situation, everyone telling me I would go early and then (I hate to say it... you may go for the castor oil!) I ended up being induced three days after my due date. I don't think I'll go for the induction again next time (pitocin contractions are H#%%) but DH wanted to deliver and mine is only one ob in town that will allow it.
BTW, I work on my feet all day and at that time was working midnights part time so when I started having BH ALL THE TIME (patients looked at me like I was crazy when I would stop talking mid-sentence) at 30-32 weeks, he shorted my hours and told me "no more midnights" and I was still in his office on D day just wanting the baby to be here.

Hang in there, it's worth it!

Emily
Mom to Ashton 5/31/03

sntm
05-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Yup, I keeping having pains and grabbing my belly involuntarily and gave one of the nurses a heart attack. They keep begging - just wait until after shift change. One of my interns today suggested (jokingly) that it would be considerate of me to wear Depends on rounds "just in case." I'm going to start crouching over his shoes just for kicks.

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

megsmom
05-28-2003, 08:34 PM
I had braxton-hicks for 2 1/2 months. Our nightly ritual was to time my 5 mintute apart contractions until they spaced out around 10 pm and then go to bed.

I went to the hosptial twice (once to have these nasty guys stopped at 29 weeks and sent home at 35 weeks). It was very discouraging and I did feel I would never go into "real" labor. I did have quite a bit of labor denial when my time finally came. Just keep yourself busy and know it will be soon.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and #2 EDD 11/12/03