PDA

View Full Version : Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

C99
05-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Nate and I *both* had one of these yesterday, and although Nate's better today, I'm still having one today.

I have to commute about an hour each way to my job. My best friend watches Nate while I work and since she lives next to my office, I commute with Nate. The hours I go in generally allow me to avoid traffic, but it's summer in Chicago, which means construction. We stopped the car twice yesterday so that Nate could nurse, and once so that we could both just get out of the car. The last time we stopped, Nate screamed so hard and loud at one point, *I* was in tears. I thought he had died back there!

Please tell me that it will get better!

chrissyhowie
05-30-2003, 02:17 PM
I am so sorry you had such an awful day!! And I am glad to hear that Nate is better. It always amazes me how cars seem to multiply like rabbits once the weather gets warm in Chicago!

Remember, summer also means sandal time :*! I say give Nate to DH for a few hours and get yourself a deluxe manicure and pedicure (get those pretty toes ready!) TOMORROW! Heck, throw in a little massage while you are at it! You deserve it!

nigele
05-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your terrible day! There was a point when Tom absolutely detested riding in the car and would scream so loud I, too, was in tears. This was when he was somewhere around 3-4 months old. I can tell you that it was just a phase and before I knew it, he was happy to ride in the car again. I sure hope you and Nate can hang in there! This, too, shall pass!

August Mom
05-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Sorry you guys had such a rough time. Being stuck in the car in a traffic snarl is no fun. My DS still hates to stop in the car. He likes to move and move fast. When we have to stop one thing that helps us is to sing to DS. He especially likes London Bridge and Old MacDonald. It's worth a try.

memedee
05-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Traffic in Chicago is HORRIFIC.
I live in Boston home of the BIG DIG and I have to say Chicago is far worse.
There is no such thing as a quick trip to anywhere!
However, what a beautiful city it is.
I love the restaurants the best. They are everywhere!!!

trumansmom
05-30-2003, 09:53 PM
I'm so sorry. I really don't have anything to add other than that is my very favorite book in the whole world! I've gone through many, many copies over the years.

So just keep in mind, "Some days are just like that. Even in Australia."

Take care!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

lisams
05-31-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm so sorry you have had some yucky days. I know how it feels, sometimes it's hard to see the positive on those days! My DD also had a very hard time in the carseat. She started doing better around 4 months. I have stopped tons of times just to nurse her in hopes that she will fall asleep so I can make it home. It does get better. Some things that have helped are: singing to her, having a stash of toys in the passenger seat so I can hand one back to her when she gets bored with the current one, and switching her to a convertable carseat which she seems so much more comfortable in. I hope that tomorrow is a much better day for you!

Lisa

gremlin44
05-31-2003, 09:18 PM
*waves from Oak Park*

It does get better. When my DS (now almost 9 months old) hit Nate's age, he was a car seat screamer. At that point, he had outgrown his SnugRide, so we hurried and got a Britax Marathon. Once he could sit up higher in the car and see out the windows, things were much much better!

Other things that have helped in the car:

1) cd soundtrack to Baby Mozart (DS is very familiar with the video and finds the music to be comforting)
2) a cd my husband burned of him going "OOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM" (the yoga OM) that he then looped and looped and looped to make a 30 minute cd
3) a cd my husband burned of my hairdryer (calmed him down)

C99
06-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks! We're about to go into either the Britax RA or the MA, so it's good to know that he will be higher and can see. I think that's one thing that frustrates him. I wish someone would put designs on the *inside* of the canopy.

Although he loves the Baby Mozart video, he is just not having the CD without the pictures. Wish it were so!

Today, he went into the carseat and only cried for about 10 minutes before giving up. He seems to be better in the morning than in the evening.