PDA

View Full Version : Stoooopid insurance company - where's my car seat?!

kapow
06-10-2003, 07:50 AM
My insurance company has a very generous policy for new parents. For expecting parents get their pre-admission certification in their first trimester, they send you lots of info (including a copy of "What to Expect etc." ) and, as a nice bonus, a free car seat.

I'm due in three weeks. So where's my car seat? Well, let's see. When we called in December, they told us we'd get the car seat in April or May. How nice! So, come April, I call up to see if I can get an update on the mailing date. Instead, the competent customer service person with whom I spoke re-enrolls me in the program. Of course, since it's no longer my first trimester, I am no longer eligible for a free car seat. So I am told in May when I get a second pre-admission certificate in the mail.

Oh no, I don't think so.

So after straightening out the ins. company on the date on which I pre-certified (those pre-cert forms are so handy), they start to scramble on when they will mail the car seat. Turns out that there's one guy who deals with the car seats. I've called about six times since April, spoken to six wise souls who say they'll email this guy, or call this guy, and promise the car seat will be delivered before I give birth.

I'm due in three weeks. So where's my car seat?

I can afford to go buy a car seat if I have to. But I haven't researched car seats, so it will take a bit of time to figure out which one is best. And also it's the principle of the thing - their benefit policy includes a free car seat, and the only reason I don't have it is because their customer service people have screwed up their own process each and every time I have called.

I admit this is a nice insurance problem to have, all things considered. But still, I could really do without this annoyance! Just send me the f*&##$*& car seat already, fools :)

Momof3Labs
06-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Um, no solution, but I'd suggest that you go buy a seat, install it and get it inspected TODAY - buy it at BRU and you can always return it. What will you do if you deliver before you have a car seat? I was two weeks early with Colin and wasn't expecting it in the least! Fortunately we had our car seats inspected the week before and were all set to bring him home from the hospital.

If in doubt, just pick out a Graco Snugride with a front harness adjustor - you really can't go wrong with that seat. All of the other extras are just frills.

August Mom
06-10-2003, 10:00 AM
What kind of seat are you supposed to be getting from the insurance company? Are you sure you want it? Also, is it an infant seat or a convertible or what? I would buy the opposite type and install that one just in case. Especially if the insurance company is supposed to be sending you a convertible, you can get the infant seat which is so convenient in the beginning and that will give you extra time to get the insurance company's seat too.

Melanie
06-10-2003, 11:29 AM
I suggest that you write a letter, copy the guy you've been in contact with an the head of their customer service and their CEO/CAO. Then buy your own. You could have your baby tomorrow and not be able to bring it home.

We took a safety class when PG and the lady had the 'free' seat offered by an insurance company (not ours, it didn't offer) and it wasn't that great. No base so you had to install it every time (that base is just priceless!). It wasn't very cushioned (most aren't cushioned properly for the sacrem(sp?)anyway but this was really not cushioned). No head rest thing for the tiny babies, which we found also to be priceless. If the seat doesn't come with on, you aren't supposed to add one b/c it hasn't been safety-tested with it (yes, we added one any way to our britax).

brubeck
06-10-2003, 12:38 PM
I say buy a carseat now. Buy the best one you can so that it is safest for your baby and meets your needs.

When the free one comes from the insurance company you can EBay it or donate it to a local charity for a tax write-off.

jal
06-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Hind sight is always 20/20.

That said, I'm sure you've already evested too much time to get a "free" car seat that I'll bet will be so low end that you your self would never consider purchasing it.

kapow
06-10-2003, 02:11 PM
They told me that they would send either a Graco or Evenflo infant car seat. I plan to replace that with a convertible seat - as soon as I do the research and figure out what to buy. But still!!! I've sicced my husband on them, he enjoys these kind of customer service battles.

We'll definitely have a car seat before it's time to leave the hospital - I'm not concerned about that. DH has orders to go to BRU and get a Graco Snugride in the eventual case that the insurance company doesn't come through.

Thank goodness for the Bitching forum - I feel better already. Like I said, if this is the worst problem I have with my insurance company, I'll take it! :)

lvp49
06-10-2003, 02:52 PM
My sister got one from her insurance company and it was CRAP. She never used it, and wouldn't even consider keeping it in her office for her job as a pediatric hospital social worker to give to client in an emergency.

I would not rely on a give away car seat either.