PDA

View Full Version : Wasted this whole night looking for my keys

twins r fun
06-11-2003, 08:31 PM
This is my fault, I know, but I am still so irritated. I let the boys play with my keys around the house (stupid thing to do, as Dh is always pointing out). Well they've finally lost them and I have looked EVERYWHERE-the trash, the VCR, the toilet, the heating grates, and of course all the normal places too. I swear the boys must have eaten them! Anyway I spent the whole night looking for them and the house is now a wreck, but still no keys. Luckily DH has a complete set on his ring and just left for Home Depot to get them copied. I was planning on doing a little shopping tonight and instead made a wreck of my house. Of course making a new set of keys is almost gauranteed to magically make the old ones reappear.

egoldber
06-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Eeks! I feel your pain. I once lost the keys to DH's car (no kid to blame though, just me). Unfortunately, it was one of the fancy keys with the electronic gizmo so that the engine won't start without the actual key from the manufacturer. It cost us $150 to get a replacement!!

And of course, we found it several months later underneath the drivers seat of my car where it must have fallen out of my pocket at some point and I never noticed. DH STILL gives me a hard time about this.

MartiesMom2B
06-12-2003, 08:33 AM
While I've never completely lost my keys, **Knock on wood ** I can never find them. DH always grumbles to me "I don't understand how you can't keep track of them. They are so important. Blah blah blah. Lecture, lecture, lecture" We finally had to buy one of those key holder things for me to hang me keys on. It doesn't necessarily insure that I'll keep on there though.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

brubeck
06-12-2003, 10:05 AM
I had the same issue where my daughter wanted to play with my keys and I was just too nervous about losing them. I ended up pulling out some old keys (actually the keys to DH's 'bachelor pad' before we moved in together) and putting them on a ring and now Amy knows they are her keys. She will pull them out and start poking them at any closed door to open it. It's quite funny actually. Could you get a similar set of keys on the same kind of key ring for the boys? Of course you want to make sure YOU can tell them apart or else you'll be in trouble again. :-)

The other option is to get one of those little devices that makes noise when you clap/whistle.

starrynight
06-12-2003, 11:01 AM
I did the same thing as Helen, we put an elmo key chain together with some old car and house keys and those are the kids keys. :)Because one too many times they lost are real keys!

On a side note not to lecture or anything but don't let your kids play with brass colored keys they contain lead. The silvery looking ones are fine though :).

twins r fun
06-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Yes, I tried that. Actually went to Home Depot and purchased uncut keys that were almost identical to DH and mine-did the house, mailbox, car, etc. Then got carabine clips, which is what DH uses for a keychain. I made a set for each child and they were thrilled...for about two weeks. Then they figured out that those actually weren't the key we were using in the car or in the door and they had been tricked. So now when we try to hand them "their" keys they throw them on the floor and continuing whining for ours. Well, DH made me a new set yesterday and no matter how much they whine, they aren't getting them!!! Thanks for the idea, though!

emilyf
06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
I am horrible with keys-drives dh crazy, I can't even blame it on Charlie yet- you have to let us know where/when/if you ever find them!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Melanie
06-12-2003, 04:59 PM
LOL (sorry, it's probably not funny to you!). Same thing happens in our house with the television remote, the cordless phone, the cell phone and the baby monitor.