PDA

View Full Version : People just forget plain old good sense around babies!!!!...

KimberleyDawn
06-17-2003, 10:15 PM
You won't believe what happened to me at the garage today while my van was being repaired!!!! A total stranger was admiring William and started touching his face and then the next thing I know she is touching William's tongue with her dirty fingers saying "I caught your tongue"!!!!!!! The worst part is this lady was staff so her hands weren't clean and really even if they were what was she thinking!! I was sooo shocked that all I did was pull the cover over the stroller and walked away. After we left I thought of a whole bunch of things I should have said and done but honest to god I was speechless at the time. The crap we have to deal with is unbelievable x(!!!
Kim

twins r fun
06-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Yuck!!!!! What on earth is wrong with people?

mharling
06-17-2003, 10:37 PM
ITA! Yuck! I would have been speechless too. I am famous for thinking of what I should have said/done after the moment is past. x(
What do you think of?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

MartiesMom2B
06-17-2003, 10:58 PM
ITA too. that's just gross. maybe we should carry flyswatters with us and swat people who touch our babies.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

chrissyhowie
06-17-2003, 11:33 PM
What the heck?! I never feel the need to touch my own daughter's tongue! Bleah x( !

zen_bliss
06-18-2003, 01:16 AM
i like the flyswatter idea. i am coiled to spring anytime anyone gets too close... another reason why a stroller where the baby faces mommy is a good idea.

Melanie
06-18-2003, 02:18 AM
You've got to be JOKING! HIS TONGUE? I am speechless...

KimberleyDawn
06-18-2003, 08:41 AM
I love the flyswatter idea!
My responses aren't fancy and even a little unlady like but she did after all touch my son's tongue!!!!!!
1) "I can't believe you just did that and then go on a hysterical mommy rant about germs!"
2) Comment on the fact that I'm shocked she would do such a stupid thing after she just commented that she's a mom of 3 herself.
3) Throwing a bottle of hand sanitizer at her after I pretend to squirt it in my son's mouth (I always have some with me)
4) Slapping her hand
and my favorite "wish I had of" is
5) GRAB HER TONGUE!!!!
I'm sure all of you have suggestions to add, so go for it!
Kim

starrynight
06-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Yuck! I don't even grab my own kids tongues why would a stranger do that? Some people are just odd I guess...

cara1
06-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Ick. But I must admit, DS has the cutest tongue, and it hasn't been easy fighting the urge to touch it... :)

nigele
06-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Yuck - that is disgusting!! That woman had some nerve! I love Sonia's flyswatter idea. Maybe you should market one, Sonia, but call it the rude-people-swatter.

Marisa6826
06-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Good grief! EWWWWW! That woman would have been lucky to even HAVE her hand back if it was me.

Jonathan and I have always joked that we were going to invent a "BJs" stick to whack stupid people in the back of the legs at BJ's so they would move in the aisles.

I think we should go into business with Sonia!

-m

mharling
06-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I cracked up when I read #5, but couldn't imagine going through with it!!! :P

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

farsk
06-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone!

I personally think the fly-swatter is too gentle, I would be for a 50,000 volt taser gun. I'm expecting my first, and I've even asked the baby's pediatrician how to keep people from touching her face after a friend told me that you wouldn't believe the people who come up to her baby, stick their finger in the child's mouth and say "look, she's sucking my finger!" DISGUSTING!

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (EDD 7/28/03)

MartiesMom2B
06-19-2003, 12:16 PM
You wouldn't believe how people want to touch your baby. We went to a chinese grocery store with my parents when Martie was 6 days old and DH was carrying her in her carrier. Some suspect woman asked him if she could touch her and DH said "YES" AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!! She then touched her face!!!!!AAAAAHHHH! I yelled at him "What were you thinking, allowing her to touch our daughter" He said "I thought she was going to touch her foot" We promptly left the store and wiped Martie's face with a wet one.

I mean its one thing is a stranger touches your baby w/o permission but its quite another when your husband allows a stranger to touch her!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Marisa6826
06-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Oh I can top that one!

Sophie was about 11 or 12w old when my mother finally came up from Florida to visit. We were in the mall and I was feeding her. There was an older couple sitting there that my mother started talking to (she is FOREVER talking to strangers. She used to bring "new friends" home with her, but that's another rant) and it turns out that they were eagerly awaiting the birth of a grandchild.

I had to put away the bottle, so I handed Sophie to my mother for a minute. The next thing I knew, my mother gives her to the stranger lady!!! The lady is holding AND KISSING SOPHIE ON HER FACE AND HANDS!!!!

I just about had my head explode. I told the lady I needed to change her right away, grabbed Sophie and took off down the mall.

I couldn't wash her hands and face quick enough! She hadn't even had shots yet!

I can't believe I had to lecture my MOTHER on not trusting strangers!! My mother's justification was that they just wanted to hold a baby since "theirs" wasn't here yet! ARGH!!!!

-m

alkagift
06-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Ok, mine is...

Neighbors come over 6 days after Matthew is born to say hello, and are being very gracious about saying that they didn't want to intrude, etc, brought flowers etc. They also brought their 4 year old little girl. They tell her not to touch Matthew, but she can't resist. Then, as they're leaving, the mom casually mentions that the daughter is "getting over strep throat, but isn't contagious anymore." ARGH!!!!

Allison
Expecting #1 5/27/03

KimberleyDawn
06-19-2003, 03:39 PM
I had someone visit me at the hospital after William was born who had SHINGLES (I found out after the fact)!!!! They said that they had contacted a dr. and as long as he didn't touch the baby everything would be fine. A nice card left at the reception area would have been better IMO!

Marisa6826
06-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Jonathan wasn't feeling well the afternoon Sophie was born. I wouldn't let him come back to the hospital the next day and even made him wear one on those masks when he came back!

-m

spu
06-19-2003, 07:04 PM
I was at lunch with my DM and the babies were in their infant seats, in the back of the booth at the restaurant. I had them buckled in snugly with blankets over them and the canopie covering their heads. Charlotte was crying a little as she was falling asleep.

Then... this lady from the next booth came over. She was obviously on her lunch break from the way she was dressed. She knealt on the booth, pulled the carseat over, retracted the canopie, moved the blanket, and began unbuckling Charlotte -- all while I stood there with my jaw on the floor. I yelled "Excuse Me!?!?" to her. She gave me a dirty look and said "Oh, I thought I could hold her."

Huh??? I think she felt like an idiot infront of her other coworkers. I couldn't believe it. But atleast she didn't try to grab her tongue! That's awful!!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

Marisa6826
06-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Good for you Susan!!

-m

redhairedgirl
06-20-2003, 09:41 AM
One of the reasons we opted for the mosquito netting for our stroller.... to keep the little bugs and the BIG bugs (people) out. :D

These people have no tact.... perhaps I'll buy a fly swatter in case my big bug mosquito netting doesn't work. ;)

Grace_underfire
06-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Oh My Gosh! I never though people will want to touch my baby, much less touch my baby's mouth. I will freak out on anybody that attempts that. Also I am sorry but what in the hel* was that woman thinking trying to get one of the babies out of the carseat without even asking? What is wrong with people. I am getting a mosquito net even if I look like a weirdo using it in the winter.
There are some disgusting people. I guess I will better inform the whole family now that they are not supposed to let strangers touch my baby. I am sure my MIL will find a way to take offense at that. ;)

jal
06-24-2003, 12:33 PM
She gave me a dirty look and said "Oh, I thought I could hold her."

WHAT THE #*$$ WAS SHE THINKING!!!

While having a stranger touch your babies tongue is discusting, if they have access to your baby, I can understand that (you know, first your looking at the baby, then everyone has that desire to touch the baby, and while your touching the baby, he sticks his tongue out and it becomes a reaction to grabe it to "play" with the baby).

But for a stranger to even THINK about knealt on the booth, pulled the carseat over, retracted the canopie, moved the blanket, and began unbuckling is just ... I can't even begin to think of a word to describe that.

In today's society, didn't this person even begin to realize that the events you describe is basicly the beginnings of a kidnapping?

It's like your trying to pick the lock of a jewerly story after hours because you want to go inside and look around. The act of picking the lock (regardless of your intentions) is still criminal and can get you arrested.

strollerqueen
06-26-2003, 01:26 PM
LOL, I LOVE this forum! I got SO sick of DH letting people touch and kiss my babies that I just started screaming at them-"NO! NO! DON'T TOUCH THE BABY!" They would look shocked, of course, and DH was embarrassed. But I told him that one of my main obligations as a Mother was the well-being of my baby. And that outweighs the momentary pleasures of strangers.

Melanie
06-26-2003, 01:52 PM
I cannot believe these stories! How ATROCIOUS!!

It's funny, whenever I see a baby (that I know) in a bucket and notice they're buckled in WAY too losely I have to fight the urge to tighten them in, not the opposite!

cpstechmom
09-12-2003, 06:49 PM
I've been lurking on here and LOL (and being shocked too) at all the MIL complaints... I too fight the urge to fix someones car seat when I see it.. But then I am a car seat technician and "car seat fantatic" and thinks everyone should have the common sense to do it right..

Janice M. Mom to Cias-born 4/13/02 and forever rear-facing in his Britax Marathon.

ddmarsh
09-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Honestly you think you've heard it all - but no! I cannot begin to fathom the way people act. I more often use a sling or Bjorn and I find that it tends to keep people from touching a bit more since it's so close to your own body. Next time someone attempts to touch DD while in one of them I'm going to scream "please don't touch my breasts" as loud as I can :).

deborah_r
09-13-2003, 06:30 PM
LOL! I love the BJs stick!! Mine would be a Costco stick but same idea.

What tool would help with this one: I'm carrying a CASE of soy milk trying to get to my cart, I am obviously making a beeline for the cart and this woman just wanders ever so casually in my way, not caring at all or noticing my distress. UGH! I hate it. I sent DH to Costco today, told him DS needed to stay home and nap. He is still in line at this very moment!