PDA

View Full Version : Nausea, bleh!!!

egoldber
06-21-2003, 11:53 PM
So I sit here awake and sleepless at 1 am, because I had a bout of horrible nausea (accompanied by chills and lightheadedness) starting at 11 pm that is only just now starting to subside. I know that morning sickness is a misnomer, but midnight sickness? Much more of this and I'm going to be a zombie!!

chrissyhowie
06-22-2003, 05:10 AM
Beth,

Nausea is so the pits. Bleh sums it up rather nicely! It really is amazing how mother nature "allows" us to "forget" about those less-than-wonderful aspects of pregnancy once you are postpartum! Guess it's natural selection at work or else we'd never choose to do it again LOL!

I hope you are feeling better. Here's to hoping that both you and Sarah get a good nap in during the day!

egoldber
06-22-2003, 07:28 AM
My nausea has only just started with this pregnancy, so I can't really compare it to my first yet. But I don't remember (could be mommy amnesia :) ) having this midnight sickness with Sarah. I just hope it starts to move to a more reasonable hour!!

josephsmom
06-22-2003, 07:42 AM
In my first trimester with DS, I often woke up in the middle of the night. I was nauseated, but extremely hungry. I found that a high-protein snack would get me through the rest of the night. The white part of a hard boiled egg worked well; the yolk was too nauseating.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

Rachels
06-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Ohhhhh, I had that! It's awful, I know. One of my colleagues said, when I complained loudly about being nauseated at all hours with a phenomenon that was known as morning sickness, "Well, it's morning somewhere in the world." So I decided that was it. Any time it was morning somewhere in the world, I got sick. It helped a little to wear those acupressure bands to bed, to eat a high-protein snack right before bed, and to keep snacks next to the bed and stuff something in EVERY time I woke up. Hope you feel better!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Marisa6826
06-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Oh Beth!

I'm so sorry! I never had the whole morning sickness thing, although smells would really make me nauseous.

Have you tried the the potato chip lemonade trick?

Feel better!

hugs

-m

etwahl
06-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I thought I was going to die with my "morning" sickness. It lasted 24/7 for 5 weeks. Most of the time I hardly had the strength to get out of bed or off the sofa. I drank chocolate soy milk because I couldn't get anything else down, not even water. I never vomitted, just always felt like it. And it never subsided no matter what the hour. I tried those bands, and I thought they were working at first, but then I got little sores from the spot where it rubbed my wrist...and then it seemed to stop working for me. Oh boy did I hate morning sickness. I feel for you. It feels like it will never end, and then one day you wake up and think, hmmm, I don't feel too bad today, must be a trick. I kept waiting to feel sick and finally realized it was gone. That was a wonderful time, because I could eat again normally without wanting to hurl.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Karenn
06-23-2003, 12:05 AM
Eeew! I remember that yucky feeling and I'm so sorry!

You may not be ready for this, but I was talking to a girlfriend of mine who's an OB and we were complaining about morning sickness. She said it had been tolerable once she started taking a new medication that didn't make her drowsy! I don't know about the rest of you, but the only thing that I was offered was the equivalent of Unisom, which would knock me out! I was thrilled to know that there is a medicine that doesn't make you drowsy and am planning to look into it next time around if my morning sickness is even half as bad as it was.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

new_mommy25
06-23-2003, 02:37 AM
My doctor prescribed Reglan for my morning sickness. I wasn't comfertable with taking medication so most of the time I just toughed it out. But when I was 12 weeks pregnant I went to visit my mom in Arizona for a week, and there's no way I could have gotten through the week without it, especially on the airplane! I also snagged a bunch of the "barf bags" from the plane. I kept one in my purse and actually had to use it. Luckily my morning sickness ended a few weeks later but I still have that stack of bags in my closet. I figured they may come in handy again somewhere down the line.

newbelly2002
06-23-2003, 04:16 AM
Beth,

I'm sorry I couldn't get to a computer earlier. DH is sick in bed with nausea himself (I asked him if it were possible he were pregant?).

I'm sorry too about the nausea. It's really the pits, particularly when you have a (walking!) toddler to run after. Thinking of you and hoping that this part of the journey fades soon!

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

egoldber
06-23-2003, 07:50 AM
OK, WHAT is the potato chip lemonade trick????

jojo2324
06-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I'm curious about this one too! :)

Beth, hope you're feeling a little better. I used those acupressure bands with Gannon, and they just left little divets in my wrist which only added to my complete and utter moroseness. I was sprawled out on the couch for about 4 months.

I ended up losing a substantial amount of weight the first trimester, and I got really worried, so I started drinking Ensure. But for some reason Gannon rejected (and in turn I) the strawberry flavor. He seemed to like the vanilla.

I know they have something called Preggo Pops, flavored with ginger and mint and stuff like that.

egoldber
06-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks all. I am actually not feeling very bad yet other than the occasional midnight thing. And last night I was able to head off the midnight thing by eating a high protein snack at about 9 pm. That seemed to do the trick.

And I have found that ginger tea is terrific. :)

Marisa6826
06-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Supposedly the salty/sweet combination of potato chips and a glass of lemonade really works in quelling morning/evening sickness. Something about mixing messages with your brain/stomach.

Sounds good to me! :)

Give it a try and see what happens.

-m

nitaghei
06-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Glad something worked! I think I recommended ginger tea in my reply to your other post.
Ginger and coke - and ZOFRAN (!!!!) got me through 9 months of nausea.
Nita

JustMare
06-24-2003, 07:45 PM
I have "10pm night sickness" on the nose. Every night at 10pm I'm sick to my stomach. Plus, I'm now waking up at strange hours like 3am and lying in bed restless trying to fall back asleep. Thankfully, I can sleep late to make up for it. But this schedule is horrible!

I'm drinking lemonade religiously!! It does help. Plus forcing yourself to eat saltines DOES take away some of the nausea. It's true that sour/salt really does work....to some extent.

I'm eating saltines like they're going out of style! Plus, DH has now begun eating them with Nutella!:) I see myself having to restock from BJ's with a huge industrial size box!

Beth, while your awake with the chills and nausea at 1am in DC, just realize I'm as sick as you, awake as well with the chills in NYC! :)

Let's hope this will pass in a few weeks, for both of us!!

I feel for ya sister!

JustMare
06-24-2003, 08:19 PM
PS: I just finished reading "AmandaBright@home" it's the funniest book! Beth you'd enjoy it. It's about a stay at home mom in the DC area with two kids. Just something for you to do in the middle of the night :) I just got "The Zygote Chronicals and Operating Instructions" from the library.

ginalc
06-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi Beth,

I would wake in the middle of the night and vomit all night long with my first 2 pregnancies. I would grab a big cup and puke all the way home from work in the afternoons. It was horrible.

This last time around (3rd pregnancy) I discovered a trick: VITAMIN B6.
You can take one 50mg tablet twice daily. Perhaps it will help you too!?! My Dr. told me that taking extra Vit B6 is OK, even though your prenatal vitamin contains it.
(you can always call that helpful nurse and check just to be certain ;) )

Sending you good vibes that you'll make it through this week! :) :) :)

gina, mom to 3

parkersmama
06-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Oh, Beth! I'm so sorry! We were just talking about this and you were doing well. I guess you turned the corner and slam! Poor thing!

With Amy Grace, one thing that I found helped was ginger candy. There's a brand called GinGins that is a hard candy. Some people think it's spicy but I liked it and it helped. Here's a website: www.gingerpeople.com They have other ginger products as well. I believe you can buy the candy at stores like Whole Foods or on the internet. Crystalized ginger is yummy and helps too.

Also, I say give in to whatever you're craving. If it's something weird, try it anyway. That would often make my nausea better. I guess your body knows what it needs.

Hope your midnight sickness goes away soon!

*edited to fix link