PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me - a mouse in the house

lukkykatt
06-22-2003, 10:11 PM
First of all, let me start by saying that I live in a completely clean and normal house. Ok, often not tidy, with 2 boys, but you know what I mean.

So, DH left this morning for a business trip and was up early getting ready for the flight. At about 6am when I was up nursing my little one, DH comes in the room and tells me that he has bad news: there is a mouse in the laundry room. As he was leaving within 20 minutes, not a whole lot he could do.

So what am I to do about this? I have two small boys - the thought of them being in the house with a mouse is completely revolting to me. But the thought of me "doing" anything about it is equally as repulsive. My stomach is just churning as I am typing this. So, do I just ignore the situation until DH comes home (Thurs), or pull myself together and do something (what???)

This is one of those situations where I feel like I need to be the capable adult for my chidren, and I am failing miserably!!!

mharling
06-22-2003, 10:51 PM
I grew up in an old farm house and didn't mind the occasional mouse. Now, if I'm visiting my parents and there's a mouse, my stomach churns just like yours.

Is the laundry room contained? I would suggest buying some sticky traps and laying them at various points.

If the mouse gets stuck, then you'll need to do something. But if it doesn't, he'll be waiting for your dh when he gets home!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

lukkykatt
06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
The laundry room is a separate room, and is as contained as any room can be from a mouse.

Ok, here is the part of the story I left out. I took the kids to the store to get something to deal with this mouse. So, there I am at the store trying to decide - poison, mousetrap, sicky pad - everything was so horrible. So, finally I settled on the sticky pad - (please, animal lovers, don't flame me. I love animals too. I just need to do something about this rodent in my house). Well, when I got the kids to bed, I go to set this all up, and it is not in the bag. I got some other things too. Everything else there but what I really set out to get.

So, now I am in the house with the kids asleep, and can't do anything. I am at worse than square one, because now I have to take the kids back to the store tomorrow, and say that my mousetraps weren't included in the bag! Who wants to be that person... At this point, I started freaking out, hence my message. Then I guess I started thinking, well if I am sleeping one night with this mouse, what is a few more... Then DH can deal with it. I am just a big baby.

mharling
06-23-2003, 12:21 AM
I'd be right with you. But, I'm sure you can sleep easier since your laundry room is contained. Good luck!! And you're right, get through it tonight and then there's only 3 more. Will dh laugh if he comes home and you haven't taken care of the mouse?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

zen_bliss
06-23-2003, 04:24 AM
maybe this is a good time to adopt a cat :) when i lived in boston we saw a mouse, and borrowed a Hav-A-Heart trap -- well, turns out we had several more than one... so my roommate ended up relocating a whole family to a field. if you love animals, dealing with a 'full' glue or spring trap - with either only parts in it, or a still living & whimpering creature - will traumatise you. in many places, you can borrow a hav a hart from animal control for free (this goes for 'nuisances' like possums or racoons too, though AC takes the larger animals.)

another option is the battery operated 'zap trap' which at least kills instantly with a high voltage zap and can be re-used. as a tremendous compromise i convinced an office i worked in to go this route rather than dosing the premises with poison or glue traps. it did take care of the rat problem.

mice i can sort of handle without freaking out... rats no. and a single roach gives me the willies way worse than a whole nest of mice could...

lukkykatt
06-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the options. I knew there had to be something better than what I was presented with yesterday.

As for the cat...we recently put our beloved cat Lucky (hence my user name) to sleep as he was battling both IBS and diabetes. We're just not ready to get another one yet.