PDA

View Full Version : Generalized Bitchiness Disorder

farsk
07-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Hello everyone!

I think I have GBD (Generalized Bitchiness Disorder). I'm 37 weeks and live in the south, where today it was a heat index of 110 with about 110% humidity. So I think maybe the heat has something to do with it...I dont' know. I just feel bitchy. People saying hello and asking me questions pisses me off (well it could just be the people at work, who piss me off anyway!haha!) You know, that ants in the pants feeling...I don't really know how to describe it.

Started crying last night "wanting this all to be over and for things to go back to the way they used to be!!!" My poor husband!

I feel like there are too many things to get done before she gets here, both with work and at home...my "to do" list is a mile long, and although DH will do anything I ask him to do, he doesn't take the initiative to do stuff (I see that the laundry needs to be folded and put away, why doesn't he?) On top of that, everyone now has decided to ask me to do things for them. For example, my mom, "will you put this chair on e-bay for me?"; a friend, "I need more business cards, can you print them out?"; a co-worker, "Will you address these wedding invitations for my daugher's weedding?" Maybe it's just me, but aren't I supposed to be held up on a satin pillow as a fragile pregnant woman and not expected to do anything except for glow? I do realize that "no" is in the English language, but I figure these people will still want these things, so better do them now than after DD gets here.

Anyway, thanks for listening/reading. It has helped. Have any of you experienced these feelings of bitchiness? Do they go away? Or only get worse?

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (edd 7/28/2003)

pritchettzoo
07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
I am a little afraid to respond! ;o)

I have been remarkably un-bitchy (much less so than my non-pregnant state), but most of my friends were total bitches. One called another friend and said she was putting her husband out on the front porch--could she and her husband please come pick him up and do something with him for the day so she didn't kill him...she wouldn't even let him back in the house to get his own car keys! The good news is that they all returned to normal (albeit a tired version of normal) fairly quickly.

My to-do list is also insane--I am 31 weeks and will be taking the Bar Exam in 3 weeks! I also live in the south and get incredibly bitchy in the heat. In Georgia, it has been raining pretty much constantly and we have a new air conditioner, so I try to stay indoors.

You should definitely keep a list (normally I would say mental, but considering I forget my own name lately, a written one might be helpful) of all these "favors" you're doing--when your DD gets here, call 'em up and say, "Remember when I did X? Well, now it's your turn to return the favor! I need X..." Don't really give them a choice (like they seem to be doing to you).

And no, men are blind to things like laundry, dishes, generally large clumps of crap sitting around. Have you tried making a master "honey do" list? Like 1) Is there clean laundry? Fold it. 2) Are there dishes in the sink? Put them in the dishwasher (AND TURN IT ON). 3) Are there CLEAN dishes in the dishwasher? Put them away...

Good luck getting everything done! Hopefully you will have a sweet punkin right about the time I am being tortured by the Board of Bar Examiners... email me if you want to bitch more! I don't mind putting off studying... [email protected]

Anna
#1 EDD 9/10/03

newbelly2002
07-08-2003, 03:39 AM
For what it's worth, the day that I came only centimeters from dumping my trash can full of stinky summer trash over a poor woman's head at the dump for what, in retrospect, was a perfectly innocuous comment was also the day that I started labor :)

The bitchiness hit me about 3 weeks before delivery and escalated every day. Like you both, we also had a thousand things going on. We were in the process of moving to Europe (5 weeks after DS was born) so the house was in a shambles; I was trying to finish up writing a novel; my hands and feet were swollen to marshmallow man proportions; and the summer heat in central Virginia hit record levels. I found a written to-do helped me immensely. Because despite its length, there was nothing like the feeling of accomplishment when I *did* manage to cross some items off.

I'm glad for anyone who came within a 500 yard radius of me that DS came one week early. I never nested; I just got unreasonably cranky. It could be a very good sign! Take hope, drink lemonade, and make sure you schedule yourself *lots* of alone time. Good luck!

Paula, Mama to Dante
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32384e84594 -6/25 update

Rachels
07-08-2003, 07:21 AM
You sound like a woman about to go into labor!!! Most people I know-- and this was certainly true for me--- just get to a point where they are DONE with the whole being-pregnant thing. It's nature's way of helping you to feel ready and on-board when your labor begins. The heat can't possibly be helping. You sound close, though. Try to rest as much as you can. An overtired body makes for a harder labor and certainly a bitchier mom. :) Also, try to avoid reclining with your feet up. Lean forward, sit backward on a chair, or tailor-sit. Reclining encourages the baby to go posterior. And repeat after me: this too shall pass. It's going to be your mantra on and off for the next year or two or twenty. Hang in there, friend. You'll have that baby before you know it!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ginalc
07-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi Shannon,

Yes, once baby Ellen arrives, you'll stop feeling like you need to strangle or punch everyone. :)

The days before the baby arrives seem like they start getting slower and s-l-o-w-e-r, until suddenly you deliver and POOF! It's Christmas already! :) :) :)

Why not treat yourself to a pedicure, a massage, and a manicure while you wait? You deserve to put yourself first right now and take good care of yourself! It's OK to say NO to others - especially if you already have something "important" to do instead, like a massage, a pedicure, etc. :)

Also, it might be fun to have a "date" night with DH and go to dinner or just sit together and watch a movie. These last few weeks together before baby arrives should be special for the two of you. Forget the laundry (it will ALWAYS be there, I assure you!) make popcorn and cuddle.

gina, mom to 3

stillplayswithbarbies
07-08-2003, 05:28 PM
This is perfectly normal and very common. :) I think my hubby followed me around the last 2 weeks apologizing to everyone around me. :)

I remember we went to Costco 2 days before my due date and we just wanted to go in to the food area, so I went to walk in the exit door and the man stopped me and made me go around to the entrance. (which was just on the other side of a pole). I said "you mean you are really going to make ME walk all the way around there??" and my husband is saying "come on dear it's not far let's just do what the man says . . ." and I'm like "I'm 9 months pregnant and I am NOT walking one more step than I have to!"

I walked around the pole and went in the correct door. <sigh> I was bitchy, but still somewhat complacent LOL. But I did sit there and bitch to hubby about it the whole time we were eating.

Don't people know that when we are 9 months pregnant we shouldn't have to DO anythig except just be pregnant and wait?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03