PDA

View Full Version : My heart is absolutely bleeding!!!!

mama2be
07-12-2003, 11:21 PM
You might not want to read this...but I am saddened like I have not been in a very long time...if ever this much.

My girlfriend (a partner in crime in animal rescue) jsut rescued a Standand poodle from a trailer park where he was tied up to a tree with no water or food and little to no give on the chain. A Standard poodle is one of the big poodles.

She brought over video so we could help make it into photos and so I ("the talker") coudl get our game plan together to go to political figures...and possibly the press. I am fortunate that I know one of our mjor anchors here in Raleigh and a phone call would get me immediate air time I know, but there is fear of upsettign the local animal control where they will not help us if we show that they did not do their job.

This poodle's fur was matted and down to the ground. His whole right side of his face was EATEN with infection where when they pulled back his matted hair (which took massive shaving to even reveal) showed missing skin from the whole side of the face and you could literally see his nasal passages there. Maggots were falling off of him as they pulled this skin back.

My friend had called Animal Control about this dog for the past year...this past week they told her that the dog 'was fine"...she had no idea of the extent of his wounds/condition until she had him in her arms. The black color (he is a white dog) on the right side of his face was feces, blood,and infection.

So I will be researching all night to try to find a nice orgnaization to help us with his vet bills...and of course i will have to probably be the one paying to have this baby saved when at the saem time my TAX money pays for these damn animal control officers to not do a thing...

I am just saddened...evidently one other dog that was tied up there died the day before she got there...a puppy is still in the house which I now want to go steal...

This breaks my heart...I swear my descriptions don't capture this video I jsut saw of it even 1%...

Now I wonder if this poor poodle was stolen from some loving home...bless his heart once shaved he is actually wagging his tail...

Lori and Zen if you all know of a good organization will you let me know...I've worked with labmed before but have no idea where to turn for a poodle...He now shaved looks like a lab...

blnony
07-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Neve-
This just breaks my heart. We had a standard poodle as a pet for many, many years.
It is a sad commentary on our society that we allow things like to happen. And even if caught or arrested for this kind of violence, and cruelty, most are only slapped on the wrist, if even that. Here, there is so much debate on making animal cruelty crime a felony, and I've written letters to the editor of a couple of newspapers around this area. But of course the law is very slow to change.
I'm sorry I don't have any other advice on where to turn to pay for the Vet. bills. The only thing I would hope is that the Vet would give some type of discount for this situation.
I think it is so wonderful of you to take it upon yourself to rescue these poor animals that have no one.
Perhaps if your friend (TV Anchor) might do a story about it, not focusing so much on the cruelty situation) but more an interest story, I bet you could find a great home for it. Maybe check with the N&O too? They might want to do a piece?
Sorry I don't have anymore ideas, I wish I did.

mama2be
07-12-2003, 11:50 PM
That's my gut too to have them do a story yet not target the animal control officers instead make it like "Johnston County is taking action against animal cruelty".

I don't know if you remember but back in Feb of 2002 two of our dogs were stolen from this SPCA to be used for fighting...two lovely dogs a boxer/bull dog "Dexter" and a retriever mix. A good citizen offered $500 for their return and we went on the news and got them back...one of the dog fighters wanted the $500 (AFTER thew had fought them). They were in awful condition. I was on NBC with Dexter after we got him back talking about how he was the poster child of this abuse. much was spent on him and his got a fabulous home-the phone's rang off the hook for him...and 6 weeks later he died from a parasite from a Pit Bull's mouth because they had fought this sweet dog and probably used him as bait vs a fighter...

That too was very sad...my last breath will be spent to stop dog fighting in this damn State...and i want it to be called "Dexter's law"...

zen_bliss
07-13-2003, 01:24 AM
unfortunately, this is all too common, and why rescuers burn out so fast. i hope the excellent animal planet reality shows spotlighting humane officers will motivate a whole generation of people to understand how widespread animal cruelty and neglect is. the best thing we can do as mommies is raise compassionate children, impressing upon them & their friends to always speak up for those who can't speak for themselves.

there are rescue organizations dedicated to every breed -- this works both for animals in need of help and for those looking to adopt, who know that a particular breed is a good match for their lifestyle. just do a google search for the breed name + rescue. here is the carolina poodle rescue http://www.geocities.com/carolinapoodle/Rescue.html

most rescues are so stretched for funds that if there is a private party willing to pay out of pocket to rehabilitate an animal, the rescue would probably limit their involvement so their resources can go to cases that have no alternatives. that's a nice way of saying this is probably all yours :) however, you should pick some of your local organizations' collective brains -- they may be willing to share some of their network leads on vets/groomers who offer special rates to rescuers.

the criteria animal control uses to determine whether to get involved can vary from area to area and it can be political... officers may be instructed on bare minimums -- that if an animal has water and shelter and does not show signs of starvation or obvious injury to 'let sleeping dogs lie' so to speak.

neve, if anyone can get this up n running, you can -- can you propose that your local station let you host a daily spot on the morning news spotlighting a different animal each day in need of a home? a minute & a half with the animal's story, the rescue group, etc. jillian barbarie does that here on Good Day LA and it is very successful in gettign animals adopted, publicizing the many rescue resources, and getting the story out on cruelty!

mama2be
07-13-2003, 05:47 AM
Zen you are the greatest!!!!
Edited to say I spent hours emailing rescues last night and never even noticed this NC one...I yahood searched vs googled...I assumed we didn't have one here so this is great!!! thank you

I think I'm going to contact that "Rainbow Bridge" association (I have to remember their name) and try them. I was amazed that Lab Med paid me back when I spent $700 on a lab that was left in the ditch in florida and was going to be put down. I drove 10 hours to get this guy after I had just lost my job because his picutre got to me. I had contacted the Rainbow group and by the time they called me back lab Med had stepped up to the plate...I could not beleive it!!!!

Evidenlty the vet is giving a discount, it's just this county is so backwards when it comes to animals, and most folks don't donate for animals here, unlike the area where I lived before (DC) where folks do. That doesn't seem to fair to say yet it's true.

I have wnated to do the "dog of the week" via paper or press...the only thing the media is all in our neighboring county (where Raleigh is) and those shiney, VERY well staffed and very well funded shelters get priority. We are on the border of the two counties. Our county is the fastest growing county in NC but a huge chunk of it is filled with struggeling folks and the "simplest" ways of life and many dogs chained to trees. When we first moved here we took our our motorcycled thru this county and I was shocked at what I saw...the way people lived and animals...I had not been exposed to such conditions in this country...

And our local shelter owner (no tax payer money keeps her open) said that "way back when" when they did a "pet of the week" she'd get unqualified folks wanting a dog just becasue it was 'pet of the week"...

But i am going to suggest this to her again...she just got a web site which has helped find good homes from elsewhere...I cna't sleep thinking about this pup and that puppy that was left there...

Momof3Labs
07-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Oh, man, that is just awful - the poor dog. I don't have much time to write right now, but the organization that comes to my mind is www.imom.org - they are not breed specific.

I've worked a lot with Labmed (I love donating to their annual auction) and they are fantastic, but I know they help only dogs with some Lab in them.

Keep us posted - I'll come back and write more if I can think of anything. Unfortunately I've only seen animal cruelty officers who don't/can't do much and leave these situations to those of us who care enough to do something.

Edited to add:

Definitely contact the local breed club http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/usamap.htm#NORTH%20CARLINA - they often come up with money to help with cases like this.

And I would take this to the media! People need to be aware of what is going on, and it is likely that you will get donations to cover the vet bills.

MartiesMom2B
07-14-2003, 06:52 AM
Neve:

Maybe you should contact PETA and tell them about how deplorable the Johnston County animal control people are. They can post stuff on their website and the local politicians will be flooded with mail. I've seen them put out alerts regarding other injustices with shelters and other animal cruelties. Their website is www.peta.org and there is a section to say how to get in contact with them. There are probably some local PETA people that you can get in contact with too. I think PETA does a lot of animal welfare lobbying too so they might help you with getting a law passed in NC.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mama2be
07-14-2003, 02:08 PM
"Pierre" is healing...tail a wagging...we think he lost an eye but we're not certain yet.

I called the County Manager first thing this morning and he was out of town but I chose to leave a message anyway acknowledging I know I won't hear from him till the end of the week...AND HE CALLEDME BACK FROM WISCONSIN!!!!! :)

So I am meeting him with on Thursday.

I called "the good ol boys" Animal control (imagine Barnie Phyfe of Animal Control in these parts) and I told him "I'm showing you my cards...I'm testing you all...there is a puppy still on that premises...I want the puppy removed!!!!"...he seemed to know if it wasn't then he'd have a lot of explaining to do :)...

Thank you everyone for your advice...

MartiesMom2B
07-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Neve:

I think you should chronicle this in the N&O to let people in our area know how crappy Johnston County's animal control is. Maybe it can get published in the opinion section. I would've never known about this if you didn't say anything.

Sonia

mama2be
07-15-2003, 10:25 AM
I plan to. I don't want the county manager upset with me since he appears to want to work with me on this...but my plan is to maybe have the spin put on it that Johnston county is learning from their mistakes. The good news is I have video that discredits much of what the lazy animal control officer has said.

"dog is vicious"...can I just say this video shows the sweetest dog letting them tug and pull at his matted mess he was in...he is holding his sore (eaten and gone) side of his face up against the wall to "protect" it while they are clipping, but is no way not letting them clean him. I mean even the best of dogs would growl if near his face it is an open sore showing his nasal cavities and ear cavities there is NO SKIN!!!!, where maggots were falling off of it...but no he let them do it.

"the dog is fine"...well we know it obviously is not we have video showing he is far from fine

"the other dogs are fine"...well one died out on the chain and was a skeleton and couldn't lift his head so we know that isn't true either...

In other words we have ammo with this tape...by the way I didn't know but a 15 year old who lives in the trailer told my friend he was going to go in and get his "22 caliber" and shoot her and Pierre!!!! What lovely children these folks are raising too...

Mark my word he is going to be on NBC atleast I know Sharon Delaney (not her real name) and she is an animal lover and an Emmy award winner for her story on puppy mills...I just have to give it time to politically not disturb the folks that can help me...

He still has not been checked for heart worm (whcih I would assume he has until my friend said his fur was so thick misquitoes might not have been able to penetrate his fur) or spayed due to health concerns...I wish they'd put him on IVs but they must know what they are doing...

We are getting the puppy today (rumor is) from Animal Control.

Just since you are in the area Sonia I do feel like I owe it to the "head" of animal control at the county shelter that yesterday he spent a lot of time talking to me and trying to tell me he is changing things down there. Yesterday was their first day from under the thumb of the Sheriff's office so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I only share that because you live near us and feel I do owe them that...I'm crossing my fingers...

Also not to be confused we have a privately run Johnston county SPCA in Clayton which is run by one lady who is great...she has Pierre now...

the Barney Phyfe group is Johnston County shelter in Smithfield...I just feel I should clarify this -you never knwo if a PETA memeber or something is among us and want to make certain the facts are known...:)...but again even the Barnie Phyfes seem to me to be trying to work with us on this...

Thank you ladies

jojo2324
07-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Neve, what a heartbreaking story! It makes me so sad. You hear these awful tales every day of pet abuse and begs the question: What kind of people DO this with seemingly no conscience about it?

I hope everything works out for the puppy and the poodle. You're an awesome person for making this your mission. Good luck with your battles!

mama2be
07-15-2003, 07:02 PM
UPdate again...
I got Peirre's puppy of about 7 weeks old...oh my goodness too cute!!!! we got him from the shelter today where they had surrendered him!!! He is in perfect condition. I think 1/2 standard poodle...1/2 lab...too cute. He and Tristan just stared at eachother :)...both seemed to smile...

lookin' for a home...
and then a padded walled "resort" for me...straight jacket included!!!

liya
07-15-2003, 10:45 PM
OH my Im SOOO PROUD OF YOU NEVE....i myself work with the SAVE A SATO ORG here in PR....and you have no idea the expenses we take in...there are just too many animals for us....We have some help and actually send some animals to adoption centers in the states..since in PR it seems that if its not a bread no one wants it....Heres a picture of my 2 mean pups...lol one i just got from the streets(the brown one) she was soo skinny and i just fell inlove with her..she had a massive infection in one of her legs and the bills went off the air, but i didnt care she needed it....we have rescued many many doggies here we even had one with parvo and she survived and now is happy with her new owner...he loves her soo much....weve had cats and dogs you name it ive had it here..we even had 2 bengal cats...beautiful babies those were, here they were using them for cat fights...as if its not enough to have cock fights...sigh... your totally right about how to raise our children Zen...But seriously on my behalf you have my most utter respect for what your doing and i am at your service in any way i can...

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL134/1094943/2195908/27722077.jpg

MartiesMom2B
07-16-2003, 07:41 AM
Neve:

Aaaah I wish we had a house with a yard. Pierre's puppy is exactly the type of dog that I thought I'd want to get, of course more research needs to go in. But the mix is called a Labradoodle. I saw that they are using Labradoodles as seeing eye dogs because they seem to have the best traits of both breeds.

If you want I can send e-mails out to my friends and maybe they can send e-mails out to their friends and so on to find a home for the puppy.

Sonia

mama2be
07-16-2003, 09:09 AM
He is a love...I might have a home for him, but you are more than welcome then send a note out...he is adorable!!!! cute, samrt and very happy!!!!

If you know anyone willing to spay...keep in doors, put on heart worm preventative...then I'd be willing to chat with too...

mama2be
07-16-2003, 09:10 AM
you have a gorgeous family!!!! thank you for sharing...that brown pup says "I ain't no dumb dumb I knew whose house to go to :)"...