PDA

View Full Version : Gallstone Surgery!!!

McQ
07-14-2003, 09:56 AM
I found out from the doctor this morning that I have gallstones. And the only way to remove them is surgery!!! Needless to say I am quite freaked. And I don't want anything to interfer with breastfeeding or caring for my little one. Has anyone out there had gallstone surgery??? If so, what's it like? How about recovery? Yikes!

peanut4us
07-14-2003, 10:00 AM
I haven't had this, but a good friend did. Her baby was only about 4 weeks old, and her mom came to stay with her for a little iver two weeks. I know she said that she had to have a lot of help because she had a hard time lifting and carrying the baby. I know she was bfing but i don't know if she had to change anything during her recovery.

Sorry that's not much help, but my thoughts are with you.

newbelly2002
07-14-2003, 10:06 AM
If you do a search in the "lounge," you should come up with at least two good threads for those of us who have had gallstone surgery (Melanie and Lucy G besides myself, I think). It's a little rough, but just be thankful they can do it laprospically (sp?) now and not with a huge slash across your belly. I would say recovery time (from surgery back to normal) was about 2-3 weeks, especially if you are breastfeeding and have just given birth. Your body has gone through enough trauma that it takes a little longer to heal.

Good luck!
Paula

Paula, Mama to Dante
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32384e84594 -6/25 update

McQ
07-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks! I'll move over to the lounge to continue the discussion...