PDA

View Full Version : Colic is driving me CRAZY!!!!!

esianoyam3
12-30-2003, 05:12 PM
DD rarely stops crying... She has about 20 minutes after she wakes up and eats before she starts screaming inconsolably until she falls asleep again from exhaustion. It's a never-ending cycle.

She was having problems with reflux and diarrhea (sp?) so we took her to a pediatric gastroenterologist. He put her on Nutramigen formula, higher doses of gas drops, Levsin (sp?), and Prevacid.

She still ends up throwing up at least once a day- usually about 9:30 at night because she's upset herself so much from crying... Or maybe she's crying because she has a tummyache- she usually stops crying for a while after she throws up.

It's reached the point where I'm afraid to take her anywhere... She starts screaming the minute we put her in her car seat, and cries herself to sleep- until the car stops moving. Then she's awake and screaming again. I feel guilty subjecting strangers to her unabated screaming...

And I feel so bad for her. I know colicky babies aren't supposed to be in pain, but I've reached the point where I can recognize her cries, and she's definitely crying like she's in pain...

We never get to bed until after midnight. That's usually the point where she cries herself to sleep for a few blessed hours.

I took her for her 2 month well check visit last week. Her regular doctor was out having surgery, so we saw one of the nurse practitioners. She asked how DD was doing, and I explained what meds we have the baby on, and how she still won't stop screaming. After exlaiming that she couldn't believe DD was still crying after being on Levsin (she said it's powerful medicine that should all but knock her out), she said there's nothing more we can do. "All we can do is listen to her cry and call it music."

I just feel like there should be SOMETHING that I can do for her to make her happier or more comfortable. It's reached the point where I just feel like crying right along with her!

I tried the steps from "The Happiest Baby on the Block." It just made things worse because she HATES being swaddled...

Anyway, sorry this is so long... I just really needed to vent.

amp
12-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Shallyse, I have no advice to offer, but wanted to give you my sympathy. I know it must be so difficult for you! We had mild colic, but it nearly drove us crazy! I'm so sorry you are going through this and I hope it passes soon!

pritchettzoo
12-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Oh my goodness--that sounds completely awful!

I may be reading your post wrong, but has she gotten worse since she started those meds? Could they possibly be exacerbating the colic somehow?

Also, if she likes the movement of the car, does she like vibrations? I'm thinking a vibrating bouncy chair or something. Or will she sleep in a swing? My DD (who blessedly does not have colic and is simply strange :)) only sleeps in her FP aquarium swing. She only likes the cradle motion and not the traditional swinging motion. What about vacuums? My aunt went through this with one of my cousins and she taped a vacuum cleaner (because she burned out a vacuum running it in the same place) and it helped a little.

I hope you find a magic cure! I also hope you have someone to "spell you" so you have some scream-free time. Good luck!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NancyJ_redo
12-30-2003, 08:37 PM
We had a very similar experience and I can tell you, they do outgrow it...but you may feel like you're going to go crazy in the meantime. DS cried from the moment we got him home. Literally...the day after we got him home he cried - all out screaming - the entire day. My MIL, who has tons of experience with babies, was here with us, and nothing helped DS. Some days were better than others, but there were many many days when I didn't know if we'd make it through the day. Even though there were some good days, the nights were consistently bad. Every evening was a challenge to our sanity.

DS was initially put on Mylanta (over the counter) for reflux, then later moved to Zantac (prescription). I'm not sure how much the reflux had to do with the colic, but we did have an Upper GI performed that confirmed his reflux. At about the 6 week mark our ped told us they typically outgrow colic at 3-4 months. I honestly thought there was NO way we'd survive it. I had no help, DH worked long days and there was nothing I could do to help DS. I too thought his cries sounded painful...like he was screaming to me to help him, but there was nothing I could do. And, I was also very afraid to take DS anywhere, especially without someone else to help me in case he started crying. The only thing I could do that would keep him from crying was to take lots of walks.

As for sleeping, I was BFing and I just brought DS into bed with me at night. The breast was the only thing that calmed him. We pretty much co-slept from the beginning since it was the only way I could get any sleep. Ironically that's the one area that was easy with DS - because we co-slept I was never sleep deprived. Is that an option for you? Perhaps DD will be calmer and more inclined to sleep if she's in bed with you.

My post probably wasn't much help, but I can assure you that they do outgrow it...and surprisingly it happens before you know it. It just seems to get better day by day, but without you really noticing it until one day you think "wow, no crying today". And now my DS is the happiest baby around...and really quite easy compared to most (although he is extremely strong willed and will let me know when he doesn't like something with that piercing cry of days past). I think it was right about the 3 month mark when I realized he longer cried daily.

Hang in there...I know firsthand how tough it is but I assure you it gets better. You've made it 2 months, slowly over the next month things should start to improve (although, again, you probably won't see the improvements until looking at them in hindsight). It gets much, much better!

jesseandgrace
12-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Hang in there - It seems like forever, but as everyone has said, this will get better. Your instincts are probably the best thing you have right now, so just do what you think is best for her, and take turns with your DH or other family members/friends so you can get a break. It is not easy to hear a baby cry, especially all the time, so don't feel guilty about needing time for yourself. You and the baby will make it through this and things will get better :).

Jennifer

ColorBlue
12-31-2003, 12:34 AM
I just read your post and don't post here on a regular basis but I just needed to respond, its so hard in the beginning and the colic can't make it any easier. I agree with all the other posters that it eventually ends but that said if you feel that your baby is in pain I would get another doctor's appointment and push them to give you better explanations, more help, different medications...a friend had a similar problem and the baby was allergic to her formula and went through several special formulas before they found the right one.
Trust your instincts...and hang in there.

etwahl
12-31-2003, 11:35 AM
i feel for you SOOO much...because we were there for the first four months. it was a complete nightmare. she seemed to cry non-stop ALL the time. and nothing made her happy. i had tried everything - cutting everything from my diet, zantac, car rides, stroller rides, NOTHING WORKED!!!! i thought i would go crazy. magically around 4 months it tapered off until she was no longer colicky, just a spirited baby! and it's 100% better.

i remember i couldn't leave the house. forget going to a la leche league meeting, because she would have just screamed the entire time. i mean i couldn't go anywhere, because when i did, i just felt like everyone was staring at me or making comments like "ooh, baby is hungry, feed that child..." NO, she wasn't hungry. it's stressful to have a baby with colic but even more so when you are worried about bothering others with babies cries.

all i can say is it will get better, but waiting for that is nearly impossible. people kept saying it would get better. #1 i didn't believe them, and #2, i didn't think i could wait until that happened. it's painful, painful, painful, and nothing we can say will make you feel better about it, because as someone who's been there, listening to your baby scream and cry all the time is horrible. i would say if you can just get a little time away from the baby crying each day (take turns with your hubbie if you can), etc. i didn't have that option, so i really thought i would go crazy, but i think if i'd had a "break" now and then, i would have been slightly refreshed.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

kwc
01-01-2004, 04:53 AM
Shallyse,
Vent away!
I don't really have any advice but just wanted to add that many of us believe that there is a special place in heaven for parents of colicky babies! No one else can really even begin to imagine what it is like!
Also, remind yourself that the fact that she is colicky now does not mean that she will be a fussier baby later... most of the colicky newborns I've known have been delightful older babes!

Try to take care of yourself and cry if you need to!

Karen

sarasprings
01-05-2004, 01:45 PM
(This will be short -- I have a cast on my arm.)

We lived through it too. I found no one understands (and think the parents are exaggerating) unless they lived through it. Forget going out...having to make a phone call was my biggest stressor.

I thought he was unhappy about being born too early (induced at 38 weeks), my boss said she thought he was frustrated. Some said he'd start talking early, and he did. Who knows. It was hard, though, holding on to the idea that we could do something to stop the crying. Nothing helped.

After dealing with it, I now wish I had just relaxed. We (DH was home for the summer between 1 1/2 to 4 months, when it stopped) held DH all the time. And it did stop.

Melanie
01-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Oh you poor thing. There is something you can do, but depending on who you are and where you come from, this may sound really strange, or it might sound totally normal. In any case, it won't hurt to try it.

Take her to a pediatric/family chiropractor. Birth can be very traumatic on a baby's neck...the less natural the more traumatic (b/c of how they are pulled out and the unnatural pressure on the necks). The misalignment of the neck and spine affects EVERY single organ & function of the body.

You can find one at http://www.icpa4kids.org or call them if there isn't one on their list in the area.

Note, I'm NOT a chiropractor...

cchavez
01-07-2004, 02:54 PM
I am so sorry for you. DS was very colicky too. It did get better at 4 months but he still can be very tempermental. Anyway, have you tried "Gripe Water" you can find it at Whole Foods (Bab-e Tumeez) are search for "Baby Bliss" online. It helped us some. Just check to be sure it is ok to use w/ all the relux meds.

Also, the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. March Weissbluth helped us alot. A lot of people don't like him b/c he advocate CIO but not for colicky babies. But if you are consistent w/ his "guidelines" it helps alot.

Good luck!

papal
01-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Shallyse,
I feel for you. Do hang in there.. it does get better and will eventually disappear. I did not have it quite as bad as you describe but dd did have mild colic for sometime around 6 weeks of age and the crying almost drove me insane. I found that leaving her with my mom or dh and taking a long hot shower (with ear-plugs on) helped relax me for a while. Or sometimes just going out for a drive and listening to loud music. Something to forget momentarily about the baby. When i came out of the shower or drive I was ready to face things again. I felt bad like I was failing her by running away from the problem but i could not take care of her if i did not take some time out for me.

Also, perhaps the swaddling is not tight enough? That sometimes irritated dd even more. Finally we gave in and got the Miracle Blanket.. it has a full guarantee so if it does not work you can return it. Dd loves to be swaddled tightly and sleeps longer when she is.
We tried the Baby Bliss Gripe Water too.. not sure if it worked or not but it helped ME thinking that I was helping her (if that makes sense.. sometimes it is so frustrating that you cannot do anything).
Anyway, looking back I think all dd wanted to do was sleep. Now she is almost 3 months old and sleeps so much more than we let her at 6 weeks. I just didnt realize how much babies like to nap. Maybe your baby is just really tired?

Just throwing some suggestions out there. Anyway, I am thinking of you. Please take care of yourself first.. ask someone for a back massage. And remember that soon this will be a memory.

Keep us posted.

kransden
01-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Shallyse,

You have my complete sympathy. My dd was almost as bad. The only thing that helped us a little was a swing and stroller rides outside. My dd didn't start to get better until she was 6 mos. She was sitting up. She wasn't what you would call normal until 10 mos. She still cries more than most babies. Going places was almost impossible, but if I fed and changed her then left immediately, we could go to Wal-Mart etc. for up to an hour before melt down. Getting out of the house even if it is just a screamfest around the block will give you a modicum of sanity. Hang in there, it will eventually be over.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02