PDA

View Full Version : Is it too much to ask...

newbelly2002
12-30-2003, 07:35 PM
that your mother remember your birthday? It's an inconvenient time, I know. But, hey, I didn't exactly choose the date myself.

I'm not trying to take a moral high road here. I've made lots of mistakes as a parent, and I'll make many more I'm sure. But we're talking about 4 years running, on a labor date that was INDUCED! I neither want nor need presents, just a phone call to say: "thinking of you..."

It's early yet, but I can't imagine forgetting Dante's. Or if I did, I'd like to hope that I'd sure as heck remember it the next year.

Grr.....

Paula
Mama to Dante 8/1/02

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-30-2003, 08:54 PM
my mom sounds much the same...not really certain she forgets it but I bet I can count on 5 hands how many times she ever said Happy Birthday to me :)...

I hope you have a splendid one even though you haven't heard from her!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

pritchettzoo
12-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Big grrr! Maybe you could send her a calendar and have your birthday written on it and circled in red? :)

Happy Birthday!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

houseof3boys
12-30-2003, 09:37 PM
No it's not too much to ask. I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt. Focus on your sweet baby boy and have a fab birthday!!!!!!

jojo2324
12-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Oh no Paula!! Happy Birthday to you!!

My parents forgot my birthday once, I think when I turned 11 or 12. It was the worst. And the only reason they remembered was because I asked if they had called Granma yet (we share a birthday)...I wasn't going to come right out and say they had forgotten, but I knew asking the question would do the trick.

Hope you have a great day!!!

McQ
12-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Not to much to ask at all! Shame on her.

Wishing you a wonderful birthday!!!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

Mommie2MadLyn
12-30-2003, 10:18 PM
That's terrible!!! Hope you get spoiled rotten by your hubby today and have a wonderful birthday!!!:D

C99
12-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Oh, Paula! That stinks. I totally understand. During my college years and immediately following, my parents ruined the concept of my birthday being special fot me. My mom didn't call me on my 22nd -- and my dad forgot and only remembered a few days later! I got to attend my grandmother's funeral on my 24th -- and afterwards, when I was moping about having to spend the rest of my birthday shopping for clothes for my mother, was told that birthdays are really for the parents. So, yeah, I understand how stinky it is to have your parents forget or bypass your birthday.

Incidentally, now that I am a parent, I think that Nathaniel's birthday will always be more special to me, but I hope to never pass on the idea that he isn't supposed to expect celebrations and niceness on his birthday!

cinrein
12-31-2003, 09:07 AM
Oh that really stinks! I can't imagine ever forgetting Anna's birthday. My birthday is at an incovenient time too, so I know how it goes. Not looking for a lavish party or gifts, but a simple Happy Birthday would be nice!

I hope you have a great day!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

nitaghei
12-31-2003, 11:05 AM
GRRR is right! I can't imagine having my parents forget/ignore my birthday - or that I would ever forget Neel's. Hopefully, DH will spoil you rotten - and it will at least partially compensate!

Happy birthday!!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

amp
12-31-2003, 11:10 AM
Aww, Paula - No, it's not too much to ask, but apparently that doesn't make it happen, eh? I'm glad you told us though, so we can say...

Happy Birthday!

AngelaS
12-31-2003, 04:19 PM
I feel for you. My mom was the only one who seemed to really care about my birthday and now that she's dead, no one else seems to give a flying rip. (((HUGS)) for you.

newbelly2002
12-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks all for the well wishes. It really made me smile this morning.

And, yes, DH did spoil me rotten. He started the day with breakfast and cappucinos, took off a day of his own research in order to watch DS, sent me out to a hair appt. Then MADE a pedicure appt for me, reservations at a fancy-schmancy restaurant that I've been dying to try, and even had a card and tasty petite-four cake--with a birthday candle even! I felt absolutely luxurious and heavenly--not the material stuff, but the fact that he arranged for me to get a day for me. And the cake and a card are never his strong point but he knows I love them. As nohomama said: "I love my man!"

We talked with my parents today and they claim to have not known the date. Mom said she knew my b-day wasthe 30th, she just didn't know that YESTERDAY was the 30th. Oh well. Who needs family when you've got friends, right? (just kidding. I love dearly, they're just a bit of a queer bunch).

Anyway, happy birthday to all you December and January babies and Mamas!!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

starrynight
01-01-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm so glad you enjoyed your day out :). I'm sorry your mom forgot :(. My brother's birthday is the 30th also :).