PDA

View Full Version : a rant about daytime meetings for moms (from a PT working mom)

LucyG
01-06-2004, 09:09 AM
So, I wanted to attend a LLL meeting, but all of them in my area are during the day. More precisely, they are in the morning. I work until 11:30 a.m. each day, which pretty much knocks me out of attending most moms groups, LLL meetings, etc. When I called a leader about a night meeting I'd seen listed in the newspaper, she said, "Oh, um, that group hasn't met in over a year." ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!

houseof3boys
01-06-2004, 09:21 AM
That does stink. I'm sure there are a lot of other mommies that would like a 6:00 meeting too. There are several evening meetings here in GA and several morning meetings for LLL. I wonder if you asked about why they can't start a 6:00 meeting. Do you know anyone else that could go to an evening meeting?

LucyG
01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Debbi,

Where are you in GA? I am north of Atlanta. Maybe the evening meetings you know of aren't too terribly far from me.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-06-2004, 12:08 PM
fortunately, LLL here has a daytime meeting and an evening meeting. But I went to a baby fair, and all the Kindermusic type of places had a booth there, and none of them had weekend classes! I guess the moms who work out of the home don't get to do music classes with their babies. The only thing here on the weekends is Gymboree.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
01-06-2004, 12:11 PM
I totally agree. Made it to one LLL meeting and none since. My other gripe is the mommy and me swim classes. ONLY during the morning on weekdays, none on weekends, and you are not allowed to take them as a drop-in (I figured I could manipulate my schedule a little bit to go every other week, etc.) They could at least make them right at 8:00 so we could go and then go to work late, but at 9:30? What's the point? Daycare for an hour and then go? I'm just barely getting started then at work.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

pritchettzoo
01-06-2004, 02:38 PM
I know there is one in the Gwinnett area...not sure where "north" you are. I have the leader's name and number, so let me know if you want some more info! (The email function above doesn't work for me, but PM does.) And here's the GA LLL website: http://www.lllusa.org/GA/areamap.htm

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

LucyG
01-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Anna,

I'm at least 20 miles north of the Big Chicken, so Gwinnett is probably too far. Thanks anyway, though!

LucyG
01-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Yes, swim classes are another thing that I've always looked forward to doing with my baby. I might be able to swing them during the summer since, as a teacher, I'm off school, but I can see that most other moms don't have that flexibility. You'd think someone would realize that a whole segment of the population is missing these things! Harumph!

houseof3boys
01-06-2004, 04:47 PM
There is one in North Fulton that has night meetings in addition to AM meetings? Here is the link again that Anna has already posted for you....http://www.lllusa.org/GA/areamap.htm

Momof3Labs
01-06-2004, 06:25 PM
I struggle with this too because so many things are on Tuesdays (I work Tues-Wed-Thurs from 7am-6pm on my worst days), although we found some Monday classes through the park district that start next week. I guess that the answer is that there is no way to please everyone so they don't even try!

Melanie
01-06-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry, that's a bummer. I know it's not everything, but I think the LLL here are only nights (which is why I never made it) and the YMCA swim classes do have Saturdays here.

I guess you just have to keep looking, or maybe form your own playgroup? I'm sure there are a lot of other WOHMommies who would be interested.

C99
01-08-2004, 12:01 AM
The one closest to me is at 7:30 P.M. I had the same rant: whose baby is AWAKE and what mom can get out of the house at 7:30 p.m. to attend a breastfeeding meeting???

MinnieMouse
01-08-2004, 11:30 AM
My dd is 2.5. When I was pregnant w/ her I went to a baby/toddler expo and LLL had a table there. I approached them about evening meetings and the woman at the table looked at me like I was a sea creature w/ ten heads. I DEFINITELY got the "why would you want to do that" impression. She then "found" a meeting for me...that was over an hour away from my house...yeah that is gonna help a TON!

Well dd and I are still nursing...yes we are well on our way to total weaning, but still nursing each night before bed. At the same expo this past spring I approached the LLL table again and found some GREAT people there. They actually had just started up an evening meeting in my area. I couldn't attend the first couple months since I had scheduling conflicts...but showed up in July...all eager to meet like minded moms....and I was the only one there other than the leader. We actually hung out and had a GREAT discussion...but noone else. I went back in August and September...and again, both times I was the only one there other than the leader. I've had scheduling conflicts since then so I haven't gone back lately...and I won't be able to make it this month either.

I JUST posted yesterday on my Philly area moms board at parentsplace.com about my frustration in trying to find activities to do with my dd. Every mom's group and playgroup is on a weekday morning. Our local zoo has great one time "classes" for preschoolers...all during the week. I've been to two of them but had to take vacation days to do so.

It's so frustrating being a working mom and trying to connect with other moms. Heck I don't HAVE to connect w/ other working moms....I don't discriminate....but just being able to talk to other moms IRL...have kids play w/ each other...particpate, etc.

I am NOT interested in Gymboree, etc. They are way out of our budget. But a once a month thing on a weekend would just be soooo lovely.

The post I made to the parentsplace board though has really started something. The cl as well as another poster have really jumped on it and we may start a regional meet up once a month. So maybe my venting has gone somewhere :-)

Just wanted to share that you are not the only one frustrated!

Christine

stillplayswithbarbies
01-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I go at 7:00 every month, since Logan was 6 months old. Most moms bring pajamas for the babies and change into them since baby falls asleep on the way home. (or in mom's arms at the meeting)

I'm glad it is so late or else I would not be able to get there. I live in an area where most people commute at least an hour to get to work, so this time works best for people who are not getting home from work until 6:30

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03