PDA

View Full Version : Ear Infections.... UGH!!

Bethann31
01-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Add me to the list of moms whose babies have ear infections and they didn't catch them. Katherine hasn't slept well the last couple of nights but I attributed it to teething and her current growth spurt, so I was quite surprised when the sitter called me today and told me I needed to get her to the doctor. Yep, bad infection in the left ear.

Bad mom, Bad mom, Bad mom....

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

bluej
01-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Not a bad mom! I think ear infections are the easiest thing to overlook. The baby is fine during the day, even naps normally, then gets out of sorts at night. Gee, that can mean a lot of things...teething, overtired, not tired enough, ear infection, seperation anxiety, the list goes on. I hope that the meds kick in and that everybody is able to get a good nights sleep! Once again, NOT A BAD MOM!

Sarah1
01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Beth--I'm a bad mom too :) About a month ago, Audrey had this lingering cough and I just assumed it was a cold...finally I took her in (because I read beth/egoldberg's post and it made me think maybe DD had an ear infection!), and yep, it was an ear infection. She had no fever, no runny nose, never screamed or woke up, no tugging at the ear, etc...how was I supposed to figure that out??

Even my PED said--and this reassured me--her daughter (who is about 10 mos) had an ear infection for several days before even SHE figured it out! So that made me feel a lot better.

Of course, this morning Audrey woke up with ANOTHER cold...ah, three weeks of healthy bliss since the ear infection passed must now come to an end :(

TaChapm2
01-10-2004, 07:16 PM
So sorry! Don't feel bad it happens all the time and we are ear infection pros (11 in 1 year) and he even has tubes. It is so hard to detect. You are not a bad mom. I hope she feels better soon!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

jojo2324
01-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Sign me up too!! I'm a bad mom, twice over! Actually, four times over, because each time I've missed an ear infection, it's actually been both ears! He gives me NO indication, doesn't act out of the ordinary at all. And the one time I did take him in, he was fine, of course. Hope the meds are kicking in!

brigmaman
01-11-2004, 06:03 PM
I don't know why, but for some reason ds doesn't show signs of having ear infections anymore. Maybe he has had so many, he has learned to live with the pain? :( I don't know, but this has happened a few times with us as well. For us, his infections usually come at the same time as something else...teeth or a cold, etc.
On the other hand, I have brought Brig to the ped for random symptoms- ear pulling, night waking/screaming, irritability, etc., thinking he had an ear infection for sure, and he has had been fine. Go figure...
We are all trying our best, don't beat yourself up!

Rachels
01-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Add us to the list, too. We just got back from the ped's. UGH.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

s7714
01-15-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm adding myself to this list as well. I was starting to go crazy because DD wasn't napping and was up a zillion times during the night for the past almost week and a half. I was contributing it to teething as well. But, while telling my mom about it last night on the phone, she mentions that if keeps on for too much longer it might be a ear infection. BING! The light bulb goes on! Dig out the books and sure enough, she had about every symptom they listed. I guess I just expected the whole ear rubbing thing to be a little more obvious than the few times I saw her do it. Of course now that I know what it is, I'm sitting here thinking that it was totally obvious because of the symptoms.

So, I got her into the peds this morning and sure enough she has a full blown infection in her right ear and a little one in her left. Ironically, as we're waiting at the drugstore for her prescription to be filled, she was in a better mood than she'd been in the past several days. Like me just figuring out what the problem was made it get a little better. Although she was probably thinking "Hey, Mom finally figured out what was wrong with me...good job, but it took you long enough!"

Thus begins our first lesson in Guilty Mom Complex 101...

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

sntm
01-16-2004, 05:29 PM
not a bad mom! many now recommend not treating with antibiotics for a few days to see if it improves on it's own anyway.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03