PDA

View Full Version : Incompetence at Sears!

COElizabeth
01-20-2004, 11:00 PM
I hate that store! I bought a new, top of the line Kenmore washer and dryer a month ago, and the salesclerk misled me into thinking that the washer and dryer doors could be switched to accommodate my washer and dryer connections. As it turns out, only the dryer door can be switched (which was determined after multiple calls to Sears and visits from their delivery people). So I am stuck with lifting the wet laundry over the washer door to get it into the dryer. Fine.

Second, when they first delivered the set, the washer was broken, so they had to come back a few days later with a new set. Fine.

But today I got a postcard telling me my $40 rebate of the delivery fee had been rejected because I didn't send in the rebate form. I distinctly remember sending in the form, which I had to call and request because the salesclerk failed to include it in my paperwork (though we had specifically discussed it). I also have the customer's record portion, which I cut off as directed.

I think it's annoying enough that the company charges you for delivery when I spent more than $2,000. And then to quibble over sending me the $40 when I was so careful to include everything they requested? It's a good thing it's too late to call tonight, because I am so angry. Aargh!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Marisa6826
01-21-2004, 12:11 AM
Elizabeth-

Thanks for reminding me to find the rebate information on the delivery. How freaking stupid. Just give the free delivery and be done with it!

I paid over $2000 for the set as well, however, my doors are just fine. ;)

-m

jal
01-21-2004, 10:04 PM
First: Sorry to hear about the pain with the rebate. I HATE ALL THESE #$@ #@!@#%%# @@#%&Y&^%@@$%$# REBATES.

Second: When the doors wouldn't have swapped after all it took (even the visits from delivery people) I would have demanded a refund.

Third: If it's unreasonable to return the washer at this point (after all, it is not what they said they were selling to you) can you swap the location of the W/D and deal with the location of the connections by using longer connections? If there is room for the dryer to be 4 inches away from the wall, there should be able to get a long enough dryer vent to reach (you might have to use some elbow connections and/or connect two dryer vent hoses together to reach. I know the hoses for the water connections come in longer lengths, so that shouldn't be an issue. The only other problem I could forsee is the drainage hose. Don't know if there are comercially available extention hoses for that, but it shouldn't be very difficult for someone who is mechanically oriented (DH?) to find a way to extend that. So basically, unless you are in a really tight spot such that the W/D must be VERY close to the wall, this seems doable.

Good Luck

COElizabeth
01-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. The delivery people did offer to switch the washer and dryer, but there is a drain on the washer side, and since the laundry room is upstairs, we (especially DH) feel it's pretty important to have the washer and its little tub on top of the drain. On a brighter note, I did call the rebate people today and was told to "disregard" the postcard and that I would get my rebate. Now I still have to call and complain about a little plastic piece breaking off the door, though!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02