PDA

View Full Version : FIL has topped himself as a big giant jerk!

lukkykatt
01-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Ok, I would bore you all to tears with all of the reasons that I do not like my FIL. They are just too numerous to mention. But he has really topped himself this time.

Yesterday my SIL called and said that she called her parents to see what they had done that day. The answer? They had gone to their aunt's funeral and had not bothered telling any of us that she had died. Is that not beyond belief? DH was very close to his great aunt and would definitely made the 2 to 3 hour trip to have gone to the service. That is what FIL gave as his reason for not telling us - that he knows how busy we are and did not want us to feel obligated to go. Who is he to manage our schedule for us?

Not to mention the fact that we look like uncaring jerks since neither DH or SIL went to the funeral because WE DIDN'T KNOW! I don't think I have ever seen DH so upset, and I am just in disbelief. I am at the point where I never even want to talk to FIL again!

bluej
01-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Wow! That's pretty bad! I'm so sorry for your DH's loss; both the loss of his Great Aunt and the loss of being able to attend the funeral and be w/ loved ones during this time. If your SIL hadn't called them, when were they going to tell you about her passing?

Next time you have a baby, don't tell them about it. Afterall, you don't want them to feel obligated to come see the baby now do you? Okay, now I'm just being petty. Seriously, I'm sorry you and your DH have to experience a loss in this way.

jesseandgrace
01-24-2004, 04:17 PM
That is unbelievable. Did DH call other family members and let them know that he didn't know about this? I hate it when people make decisions like that for you, as if you can not decide how to prioritize your own time! I am sorry for you and your husband.

lukkykatt
01-25-2004, 04:35 PM
His sister called their aunt to explain. DH is waiting for a few days to call because SIL told us that the aunt was still very upset (over the loss of her mother, not with us). But he definitely plans on calling her this week and speaking with her, and letting her know how much we would have wanted to be at the service to spend time with family and to say goodbye.

Meanwhile, DH has called his father about 3 or 4 times this week to talk to him, and he does not pick up the phone. FIL knows DH is upset because SIL told him. Then he sends DH one of those joke emails today as if nothing had ever happened, completely adding insult to injury.

Melanie
01-25-2004, 05:05 PM
That is so odd. My dad is the same way, but that doesn't mean I will understand it. He never told me my cousin had one, two children. Never told me he got divorced. Never told me he got cancer. I'm so done with him, now I email with my aunt to find out what is going on with their non-communicative family. *eyeroll*

My condolences...

Sarah1
01-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Whoa. He's clearly operating in his own bizarre world. That's truly weird that he wouldn't tell you that!

I feel for you Andrea...for whatever that's worth! Hope you can manage to forget about it :) ...UGH.