PDA

View Full Version : OB/GYN not washing or using gloves

snagcleaner
01-22-2004, 06:11 PM
I need help. Yesterday I called my OB's office and asked the phone answering lady if she could make a note in my chart stating "patient requests doctor wash his hands before exams and also wear a glove on each hand." Last night the OB called back and boy was he loaded for a bear hunt. I told him since I'm in the dental field I'm a little wierd about sterilization and would feel more comfortable if he could wash his hands before he examined me. LONG story short...The OB was PO'd...said he was insulted and felt very uncomfortable seeing me...needless to say...I had to take today off work and spent the day looking for a new doctor. And I'm due to deliver in 28 days! Is it normal for a doctor to NOT wash his hands before doing a pelvic exam? And is it normal for him to wear a glove on only one hand (and did I mention he touched me with the ungloved hand?) Any motivation would be GREAT. I'm SO depressed over this whole thing that I could barely get out of bed today
shirlie

eb1
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
I can't recall a doctor ever washing her (I happen to use all female docs) hands before giving me a pelvic exam, although maybe they do and I just don't even notice..? However, I have NEVER had a doctor give me a pelvic exam (or touch me) without putting gloves on both hands.

What a bummer having to find a new doc at this point, but that definitely seems bad that he examined you without two gloves...

lukkykatt
01-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh man, I am so sorry that you have to look for a new doctor now! But I can tell you, I would be right there with you.

I know that some docs wash their hands at the end of the last exam, and I would hope that was what happened with yours. However, I think it is much more reassuring when you see the doc wash his/her hands at the beginning of the exam. And I have never been examined without 2 gloved hands. I also think it is a little weird that he was so insulted that you requested this - isn't it standard practice?

I one time requested for a dental tech to wash his hands before he examined me (and he did, btw), so when I say I would be right there with you, I really mean it! Do you have some close GF's nearby so you can get a quick referral? Good luck!

redhookmom
01-22-2004, 07:40 PM
I am so sorry. I can't imagine having to look for a new Dr. so close to delivering! My Dr. and midwife always wash their hands and always use gloves.

jesseandgrace
01-22-2004, 09:05 PM
I definitely agree with you! My OB always washes his hands in front of me and always wears gloves. I am so sorry you have to find a new doctor at this point! Good luck, and do not let that wierdo upset you while you are pregnant. You are right and the doctor is wrong!

sarahfran
01-22-2004, 09:46 PM
I am freaked out on your behalf. I agree that it's both entirely appropriate for you to ask and that it's entirely inappropriate for him not to wear gloves and wash as a standard procedure.

I'm so sketched out by it, that I'd be tempted to call the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, or the American Medical Association and ask them what the requirements are. The doctor was way out of bounds for making you feel bad about your request.

I have a friend who had to switch doctors mid pregnancy and she called several hospitals and asked the nurses in the labor and delivery room who they liked and recommended. Just an idea.

I wish you all the best and I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this when you're so pregnant. Very soon you'll be past all this unpleasantness and absorbed in a beautiful little baby!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

ktdid74
01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I guess I'll play devil's advocate here and give you another view. While I agree that he should be washing hands before he checks you, he might have done it outside of the exam room. On the glove topic, I work as an L&D nurse and we always use only one glove on the hand that is checking the pt, as do the docs. I've also worked at an OB office and can't remember docs ever wearing both gloves while checking a patient's cervix. Believe it or not, most of the gloves come packaged individually just for that reason.
That said, I think it's fine that you request the doc to wear both gloves and I'm sorry you're having to stress about this at the end of your pregnancy.
eta- unless the doc was doing an exam with the speculum, then he should be wearing both gloves!!

miki
01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I use the same medical group for my OB/GYN, ped, and internist. They all make a point of washing hands in front of you before they start any type of physical exam. And then they wash after also. And definitely 2 gloves for a pelvic.

sntm
01-23-2004, 09:39 AM
I'd agree. While everyone is encouraged to wash hands in front of the patient, it more often happens outside the room, especially now that they have the alcohol based wash (Purell, etc.) Either way, I think that he should have been more understanding and either explained that he washes outside the room or just said "okay, I'll do that from now on." Sorry you had such an ugly experience! Hope you find someone better!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

kransden
01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
You are not out of line. I personally wouldn't be worried about the hand washing if the OB was wearing gloves, but it is your body and you have to be comfortable. You are asking for basic hygiene not something crazy. I had to tell an emergency room dr. when she was examining me she touched her hair and to please put on fresh gloves. She was annoyed but I didn't want a pelvic exam with dirty hands. So you did the right thing too bad if he couldn't deal. Good luck on finding another dr. Do you have any friends that have good OBs?

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

sweetbasil
01-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Shirlie,
Sounds like a totally reasonable request to me. I'm sorry you're having to go through this, esp. so close to your due date!

My OB definitely wears a glove on the exam hand and washes his hands before and after the exam (in the exam room).

It's sad that he handled it that way, but I hope you find another OB that you love!

Hang in there,

new_mommy25
01-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Eew, I'm sorry you are so upset. It sounds like your doc is taking things a little too personally, kwim? FWIW i go to a lovely place called Seattle OB?GYN where everyone is as nice as pie. My doc always washed up before and after examining me and I was under the impression that everyone does the same. I would be a little disturbed as well by the non-handwashing policy. Good luck finding a new doc, I know what a PITA it can be. Is there another OB in the same office you can go to instead?

entttc
01-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Although I don't ever do pelvic exams, I will mention the guidelines I use in seeing patients (noone has ever objected). I wash my hands before starting with the first patient, then as the patient is leaving the room or once I'm done writing in the chart and the nurses are bringing the next patient in. If I put gloves on, I will wash my hands as soon as I take them off as well (primarily to get rid of the latex residue). I will wear a glove on any hand that is going to touch anything or use an instrument that will touch anything other than intact skin. I don't glove to touch intact skin except for special circumstances (I have a cold or the patient is on contact isolation).

Although it's inconvenient for you to have to find someone new closer to delivery, you're better off not having to see someone who's not comfortable providing your care. It's rare to have to "fire" a patient, but sometimes it has to be done and it's better to do that than to provide anything other than the best care you can. If his personal feelings about you were going to interfere with your care, he was right to be honest about that.

-entttc