PDA

View Full Version : It's a small thing but grrrr

peanut4us
01-23-2004, 02:42 PM
In our area the baby food brands are (were) Gerber and Heinz. If you go to a specialty shop you can get Earth's Best. So I don't like Gerber. I don't have any solid reasons or personal experience why, but I would prefer strongly to not buy them. I think they are misleading with their literature... and in general I tend to not like anyone who is the only game in town, KWIM? So we always bought Heinz. Sara loves it. It seems nicer than gerber the couple of times she had it. And it was about 3-10 cents cheaper than Gerber.

So freaking Del Monte bought out the Heinz babyfood line like a year ago and just finally started "rebranding" the Heinz... so now we can get Gerber and Del Monte... I didn't think it was going to be a big deal. After all, it's the same stuff in the jar as Heinz. HULLO! DH went shopping this morning and he said the Del Monte was like 10-20 more expensive than Gerber. GRRR! Ok, so this is small, and it's not going to break the bank. But now DH wants to buy Gerber, and I have no good reason not too... now I hate Del Monte more than Gerber anyway. Capitalist PIGS! (OK, so I'm a bit of a capitalist pig too, but still!) Thanks for letting me vent!

winterwonderland
01-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Why do they do this to us! I too use Heinz and noticed that some of the jars now say Del Monte. So far in MN the prices have not changed. I also have no real reason not to like Gerber but do not want DS eating it thus I haven't bought any. I do use some of the Gerber cereals but prefer Heinz rice cereal.

This is my fist baby and now my second disappointment. DS loved Nestle rice cereal but they discontinued it and I had to switch. It took several weeks of him gagging down the other cereals but now we don't have any problems.

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to go the a whole foods store and buy the Earth's Best which is probably going to be the same price as Heinz (at their new prices).

amp
01-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Joey, Thanks for the heads up! I noticed the label change as I passed the baby food the other day, but I wasn't buying and even if I had, I don't know that I would have noticed the difference. We are all about saving a few cents where we can right now. Money is that tight. So I guess I'll have to check the prices when we buy this weekend. Glad I know to look for the change and look for the better price.

cchavez
01-23-2004, 04:27 PM
I like Heinz too and it is actually very inexpensive around here.....

stillplayswithbarbies
01-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Earth's Best is owned by Gerber. It's always more expensive than Gerber, as is their Tender Harvest line.

I think it's worth it because it tastes better.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hellokitty1
01-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Do you have Beech Nut in your area? I had no real preference for any brand but one day I started comparing nutritional value labels of gerber and Beech Nut of the same type of food and found that there were almost always a few more grams of fat or sodium or any other "bad" category. So when I can, I buy Beech Nut. That's my only logic since the price is the same.

sntm
01-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Depends on where you buy it though. Realized this recently when we had a Krogers-specific coupon. At Krogers, Earths Best is 89 cents regular price. At Whole Foods, it is 69 cents regular price. They have sales of 5 for $3 (60 cents) and with coupons for 50 cents off when you buy 5, that brings them down to 50 cents each.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
01-25-2004, 10:19 PM
that is probably because there is more water in Beechnut and less of the actual food, therefore less fat etc.

for babies, fat is a good thing.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

C99
01-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Gerber is bad, but Nestle is ok? Sorry; I don't follow the logic.

alkagift
01-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Earth's Best is owned by Gerber? My understanding is that Earth's Best is owned by Hain Celestial, which makes Celestial Seasonings tea, Terra Chips and those things. If Hain Celestial is owned by Gerber I'd be surprised, but maybe there's a larger parent company I don't know about? Gerber has their own line of organics, Tender Harvest. I don't think they'd have both lines to compete with each other.

Heinz is now DelMonte "Nature's Goodness" but Beech Nut is still Beech Nut.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

stillplayswithbarbies
01-26-2004, 01:40 PM
well now I am not sure. I read somewhere that it was owned by Gerber, but I'm not finding anything that says that in a quick google search.

Their website says they are owned by Hain Celestial.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hellokitty1
01-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Well, there goes my poor logic. Just when I thought I knew something...

PJAlama
02-03-2004, 04:00 PM
the bb book rates beech nut better than gerber. i don't know bcause ds is not eating solids yet. whattya think?
pauline

houseof3boys
02-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I thought the same thing...Hain Celestial that makes all kinds of "healthier" products. Hmmm, I'll have to google this and see what's up.

hellokitty1
02-06-2004, 10:46 PM
honestly, dd really can't tell the difference between brands. we've had the same foods of both brands.