PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to customer service?

winterwonderland
01-27-2004, 11:28 PM
I got so upset today shopping at both Sears and Children's Place that I plan on calling managers at both of the stores.

First at Sears there were 6 people in line before the associate called for back up. She had to call 2 times and no one came. When a manager came walzting by he took his time talking to another associate and then came over to help. I worked for Sears in the jewlery department and would never have made that many people wait without calling the manager code to get some help.

Next I needed to return a Christmas present for DS to Children's Place. I have never shopped in the store before and didn't know their return policy. The outfit was defective with a tear in the item. When I was explaining to the clerk the reason behind the return she turned to me and said she couldn't return it since it was past 90 days and if she did she could only give me what it rings up on the computer. I said forget it I didn't want less than what my SIL paid for it. My friend who was behind me asked if they were going to take it back. I said no and that it was defective. The clerk than got really snotty and said that she was looking at the receipt and I didn't tell her that it was defective and that I didn't need to get rude. Excuse me, who is being rude? Well I lost it at that point and informed her that it was her job to listen to a customer when they return an item and then look at the receipt. I also asked for her name and the manager. She said fine I could have her name and the customer service number. I then informed her that I WOULD be calling. She then changed her tune. She was not exactly pleasant but toned down her attitude. I didn't even look at the receipe from SLI due to I assumed she bought it around Christmas. She bought it in Oct and I missed the 90 day deadline by one week.

I understand the reasoning behind return deadlines - I really do. That's not the issue. My issue is not being listened to and then being accused of being rude and getting yelled at by a clerk. I don't know what caused her to have a bad day but I should have to be the one to take the brunt of it. I didn't call when I got home tonight but will be calling in the morning. I felt that it would be better to wait until I cooled off a little before I call in and demand an apology. I worked by butt off in college in retail to pay for tuition and know that I never was so rude to a customer!

Ok, I'm done now with my rant.

Jeanmick
01-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Gosh...so sorry to hear about your experience. I know what you mean, though. A few years ago, when my DH and I were moving his things to my house (we had just gotten married) we reserved a moving truck from a national chain that shall be nameless ("U" figure it out...:P). We get there and they give us a truck to use. After a few blocks of driving, we KNEW that this truck was going to break down. We felt very uncomfortable driving it. So whe drove back to the office and requested another truck. We thought this request was reasonable and knew that there were other trucks similar to ours on the lot. The manager absolutely refused to do it! We ended up taking our business elsewhere. Oh well...

AngelaS
01-28-2004, 07:39 AM
As DH would say.... unemployment is TOO low. When the unemployment rates below a certain %, the people who are not capable of doing a good job are working and that's what makes service BAD..... LOL